Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Daytime LEDs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Had a brain fart at Pep Boys and bought a couple led strips. I want to increas my visibility. Car is driven mostly daytime.

After playing with a few options I decided to put them in the horn grills. Luckily they squeeze in perfectly between the vanes and can be clipped every 3rd light. Powered with an inline fuse and to the ignition side of the fuse box so they go on with the key.

bot the 12" and trimmed 3 lights. They are a lot brighter in person. Camera battery was running down but managed a few pics.

I'm changing the bulbs in my H4s to match. Night pics soon I hope.

Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
Turned off...
Click to view attachment
flipb
I like it. Did you cut the horn grills or are these mounted in between slats?

If they're pretty bright (for use as DRLs), I think it's a very useful and cool looking mod.
pt_700
kind of on the fence but, think i'd prefer the usual round lights there, wired to be on during the day if increased visibility is what you're after.

kind of a "me too!" look, following audi.

just my 2 cents.
736conver
If you want to increase your visibility paint your car orange. biggrin.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(flipb @ Mar 10 2011, 09:10 AM) *

I like it. Did you cut the horn grills or are these mounted in between slats?

If they're pretty bright (for use as DRLs), I think it's a very useful and cool looking mod.

Fit perfect between the slats. Visible in the daytime and bright at night. i can tell because at stoplights I can see eyeballs across the intersection wandering to my car where before it wasn't as much.
tradisrad
I like the idea, but why not install some fog lamps and run with them on?

I checked out your build thread. Looks like you put the fuchs and center consol in your '70, but kept the seats in the early configuration. I did the same with mine and I consider the fuchs and center consol a tasteful upgrade. Nice job.

I also put the corvette brake light on my engine lid to help folks see that I am stopping...
7TPorsh
QUOTE(736conver @ Mar 10 2011, 09:13 AM) *

If you want to increase your visibility paint your car orange. biggrin.gif

Thought of that awhile ago...tangerine is my favorite...but kept the original color after the crew chimed in. piratenanner.gif
7TPorsh
Thought of fog lights but then I would need new grills and lights and expense goes up. This was $20.

Wanted to modernize a little. I think with all these new roadsters companies are making, our 914s can actually look like a current design.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Mar 10 2011, 09:14 AM) *

I checked out your build thread. Looks like you put the fuchs and center consol in your '70, but kept the seats in the early configuration. I did the same with mine and I consider the fuchs and center consol a tasteful upgrade. Nice job.

I also put the corvette brake light on my engine lid to help folks see that I am stopping...

Thanks...need to work on the rear next. These strip led are really bright behind the rear lenses. Have to think of something there.
Eric_Shea
There's two camps. I'm not in that camp but, it looks good and looks to be very well done. smilie_pokal.gif wink.gif
BKLA
Tried something similar - where I wrapped the fog light hole with a circle of LED's... wasn't thrilled with the look. (personal opinion)

On a highly modified car, they look good IMHO. But not a "stock" looking teener....
7TPorsh
Beginning to think I should pull them off and toss them back on the rice-roni shelf.
As I see your comments come in I'm thinking it may cheapen the look of the car.
7TPorsh
As I'm looking at these pics...are the side mirrors supposed to droop down like this?
SGB
I like 'em more here than on an Audi. Pretty hip.

2 points-
Fogs on without HLs will get you a ticket here in my little town. Even as "markers". BTDT.

That left HL cover can be re-aligned. Loosen up the three allen head bolts on the pivot part toward the inside of the trunk. Take out the "eyebrow" in front of the light assembly- it just is held by rubber bumps protruding into holes. Align the headlight in closed position to try to follow hood surface, tighten down. You may have to fiddle with the other (fender) side pivot, or loosen and move the motor just a little.

More visibility is alwaysa a good thing (unless you are Charlie Sheen, I guess).
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 10 2011, 09:36 AM) *

There's two camps. I'm not in that camp but, it looks good and looks to be very well done. smilie_pokal.gif wink.gif

Eric is on the other side of the campground in a different tent but I agree... Looks to be well executed... But not what I would do. smile.gif
DanT
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 10 2011, 11:18 AM) *

As I'm looking at these pics...are the side mirrors supposed to droop down like this?

mirror gaskets (little black plastic wafers have an angle to them) they are probably on back wards....
wedge shape should be thickest furthest from the windows...
turboman808
Rice O Roni shelf sounds like a good place for it.

I am seeing these more and more on riced out pieces of shit. Hopefully that means Audi will stop doing it. Always thought it looked stupid and it hurts my eyes even during the day.
DanT
I am in the same campground as Eric and Rob, but I am in my RV biggrin.gif

for safety I think they are not that bad and when they are off, can't really be seen.

I have been considering doing something similar to the front of my '75.
Just haven't figured out where and how quite yet.
May do a strip just below the stock fog lights....since the fogs are rectangular on a '75 a strip of LEDs just below the opening might not look too out of place...
and since I already have a HMSL on the rear of my car.... smile.gif it might go along with the theme.
windforfun
Very nice. Add more rows.
7TPorsh
In my best Barbarino voice..."I'm so confused!"
7TPorsh
QUOTE(DanT @ Mar 10 2011, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 10 2011, 11:18 AM) *

mirror gaskets (little black plastic wafers have an angle to them) they are probably on back wards....
wedge shape should be thickest furthest from the windows...

Arg!
Root_Werks
Loose 'em. icon8.gif
7TPorsh
Interesting range:

Add more rows to barf.gif
pt_700
poor gary! seem to have stirred the pot, no?

we 914 people seem to like tradition. woe be to he who messes with tradition! ha ha!

kudos to you for trying something new and different, especially without cutting anything!

funny, how something started by audi (as far as i know) has been accepted by the rice crowd but not another german marque?

could always drive topless and attract attention with your "headlights"!
nsr-jamie
Its your car, you have the right to do what ever you like to it. Personally I think its too modern for a vintage car like ours and your car is very stock looking. But than again it does increase visibility which increases safety. I live in Japan which is home of the rice burners and most cars that have LED daylight running lights are either Taxi's, Buses (recently) and mini vans
7TPorsh
Funny I just bot the 08 Audi A4 which got me thinking about the whole led thing. It seems the "Audi" gang opinion is that Audi started it in the headlights, BMW does the halo lights...everything else is bogus.

The new Porsches have horizontal ones down in the grill...thought I would try it.

Now leaning towards the "take it off camp".
7TPorsh
It would be a cool look though to drive up to a posh valet with only those lights on and open the door to have ice white puddle and footwell lights light up.

Going to do it on the Audi; but gotta admit it would be cool on a black on black teener.
Andyrew
Click to view attachment
IPB Image
7TPorsh
blink.gif
Andyrew
Fog light replacement smile.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 10 2011, 01:10 PM) *

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
zymurgist
The question is, do YOU like them? It's your car.

Personally, I think it's pretty cool, although multiple rows would be cooler.
Eric_Shea
Your drivers side headlight bucket bothers me more than the lights or the mirrors. biggrin.gif

Loosen these 3 M6 hex thingy's and play around with it. Looks like back corner low, front corner high:
IPB Image

Also... if it's a saftey thing, I've seen more teeners rear-ended (settle down Sime). If there's any mod I think worthy of a stockish car it would be the Vette 3rd brake light under the top of the targa bar.

My $0.04
Cairo94507
Yeah sorry to say I am a "no" also. The car has such a classic look that these do not fit. Though your solution is inexpensive and fits well where you installed them, it just does not look appropriate on the car. But that is just me.

For visibility I would just run with the fog lights turned into DRL's. I understand that would mean you have to buy lights and grills, but that is the best solution IMHO. That is what I plan to do to mine because I do tend to think these little cars are hard to see. Anything we can do to make then more visible is smart. However my number one rule is it has to fit the classic look of the car.

Now when it comes to a 3rd brake light I really want to incorporate one into the underside of the roll bar so it is high and visible. I am guessing it is likely going to be inside of the car at the top of the window unless I can find a really clean way to mount it under the top of the roll bar close to the glass. Not so sure I need to be very concerned about reflection from the light when illuminated as the car will probably not see a lot of night driving. Any good ideas?
Eric_Shea
Any good ideas?

Lots of threads... one notable (I'm just too old to remember by who). Might have been "Engman" I believe he actually sold Vette lights for a while. The install was very clean. I'll dig.

Here's a few:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...Bbrake+%2Blight

...and here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...;f=4&t=9646

I personally don't think it does much good on the engine lid. Higher is better.

There was even a really cool one where someone incorporated LED's into the upper trim piece on the targa bar. VERY slick install. (someone else go find that one... my work is done here) biggrin.gif
914itis
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Mar 10 2011, 12:14 PM) *

the 70 did not come with a dry.gif dry.gif center console?
mikea100
I think that it looks awesome and very modern. Most German cars have some kind of LEDs. Audi started the trend, I like Benz square style.
Eric_Shea

Not what most of us think as a center console. "Some" came with a small parcel box in front of the shifter. I know my -6 had one.
Cairo94507
Thanks Eric. Well since I am just day-dreaming here, I would consider converting the tail, brake and turn signal lights to LED's and adding an LED 3rd brake light up high under the roll bar. I would just have to see what our stock lights look like with LED's in the buckets. Again, if it looks cheap or "ricey" it would be out. It has to look great.
Eric_Shea
If you get the proper LED bulbs they are great. Most guys don't go that route because they're expensive. Multi-array bulbs can be over $20.00 each. Also, remember Red Bulbs for Red lenses etc.

IPB Image

Also remember, no LED's for your alternator light... it can be expensive (or so I've heard) biggrin.gif
DanT
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 10 2011, 03:46 PM) *

Any good ideas?

Lots of threads... one notable (I'm just too old to remember by who). Might have been "Engman" I believe he actually sold Vette lights for a while. The install was very clean. I'll dig.

Here's a few:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...Bbrake+%2Blight

...and here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...;f=4&t=9646

I personally don't think it does much good on the engine lid. Higher is better.

There was even a really cool one where someone incorporated LED's into the upper trim piece on the targa bar. VERY slick install. (someone else go find that one... my work is done here) biggrin.gif

Or here smile.gif
center mounted 3rd brake light

Like this smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 10 2011, 02:33 PM) *

Your drivers side headlight bucket bothers me more than the lights or the mirrors. biggrin.gif

Loosen these 3 M6 hex thingy's and play around with it. Looks like back corner low, front corner high:
IPB Image

Also... if it's a saftey thing, I've seen more teeners rear-ended (settle down Sime). If there's any mod I think worthy of a stockish car it would be the Vette 3rd brake light under the top of the targa bar.

My $0.04

My own experience has been that teeners hit random boulders in the road so no lighting system will help... blink.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2011, 04:15 PM) *

My own experience has been that teeners hit random boulders in the road so no lighting system will help... blink.gif

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif I was there... Barely dodged it myself... Sad day...
tomh
stop going to Pep Boys!
tradisrad

Some came with a deposit box, like Eric said. What 7T and I put in is the later model center console. I needed a place for my volt, oil and oil temp gauges. I think it's a "tasteful" upgrade. I guess I could have put the gauges in the ash tray area or in pillar pods; I did not like either of those ideas. The '70 4cyl also did not come with Fuchs.

Perhaps the 3rd brake light would be better higher up. I thought of trimming the vette light to make it fit upside-down under the roll bar, but I put it on the engine lid as it was easier and seemed good enough. Since I've installed it I would like to think people are not getting so close to the car at stops. It is bright and better than nothing.
7TPorsh
To keep classic how about a Hella red fog light used as a brake light mount not in the center but right behind the driver on the side of the engine lid.

Right in the line of sight of the driver behind. I like the hella red fog light for this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.