Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fresh air inlet box clean-up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47
I am working on cleaning up and installing the fresh air inlet box into my project car. As you might know, the drain tube and connectors are either NLA or hard to get. I went to the local hardware type store and bought some 5/8"ID/7/8"OD dishwasher drain hose and went to FLAPS and bought an elbow, Tee, and connector (DOH, need 2 dry.gif ). The hose is very pliable and might be prone to crimp but it's a suggestion for a relatively easy substitution.
Click to view attachmentPO didn't remove box when car was repainted (scottyb did, though)
Click to view attachment
connectors are tight fit, so tight, I can't remove the Tee for the pic. I'll use the connector(s) between the outlets on the box and the hose. A few wraps of vinyl tape should hold and be minimally noticed. The substitute hose will easily handle the water flow out the box (not that the car will be caught out in the rain rolleyes.gif )
Click to view attachment
not CW but these parts are NLA flag.gif
connection to box is not final fit but this is the idea
Click to view attachment
final fitment before taping
Click to view attachment
hose - $8.99 fittings ~$15
tradisrad
can't find any used ones?
That looks like it will work.

When I rebuilt mine I added a late model screen & seal and then put some screen door screen over the factory screen to keep all the junk out if it. Dang, could I have written "screen" any more in the post?
gothspeed
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Mar 10 2011, 01:24 PM) *

can't find any used ones?
That looks like it will work.

When I rebuilt mine I added a late model screen & seal and then put some screen door screen over the factory screen to keep all the junk out if it. Dang, could I have written "screen" any more in the post?

What is this 'late model' screen you speak of smile.gif?? I am refreshing my fresh air box and am also rerouting the drain lines to eliminate the 90° bend on the driver side. The bend creates a horizontal path that gets clogged quite easily.

So if I could get my hands on a factory screen, that would help things even more. I currently am using plastic magnetic sheet to block debris from entering the grill, until I get this job completed.
tradisrad
I cant find a good pic on the web (in the few minutes I can spend doing so).
Here is a pictureless link to theair box screen.
and it can be seen on the top of this air box (stolen picture)
Click to view attachment
914werke
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Mar 11 2011, 01:28 PM) *

I cant find a good pic on the web (in the few minutes I can spend doing so).
Here is a pictureless link to theair box screen.
and it can be seen on the top of this air box (stolen picture)
Click to view attachment

Your welcome smile.gif

No paint on that one inside or out.
To solve the drvs side drain issue simply install a slightly
longer section at the box on the pass side allow more gravity
to promote drainage.
gothspeed
Thanks for the screen link smile.gif!!!! I agree that extending the passenger side drain, will give the driver side a better slope smile.gif!!! My plan was similar ...... especially after I found some of that factory style hose ......... came from a bug project of a friend wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.