Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 912E that won't pass smog
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cap'n Krusty
Gotta 912E here with a plugged air pump distribution tube. REALLY hard mig welds, and I'm going through drill bits like popcorn at a movie. Of course, bits are cheaper than multiplex popcorn, but it's still getting expensive. Probably has the same air pump hardware as a '75-'76 2.0. Anybody know? Might be looking for one of those if I can't drill or cut this s%#t out.

The Cap'n
Root_Werks
Yes, I believe they are the same. I had the chance to look over a 912 a few years back when I had a 76' 2.0 all stock with air pump.

Looked exactly the same.
underthetire
Can't help with the pump, but get yerself some good quality Cobalt split point drills.
stugray
I have some of a smog setup.

Came with the car I just bought as extra parts, so I dont know if I have everything.
I have the pulley adapter for the front, the tubes, and the pump.

If you had pics of a complete setup, I can look through my stuff.

Sorta On-topic: How much trouble is it to get a semi-race engine with carbs to pass emissions?

Stu
dr914@autoatlanta.com
should not be a problem getting a replacement tube. I am sure that it is theseam as the 75 76 914 2.0. We have many hanging up in the rafters (I keep everything 914!)

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 10 2011, 02:53 PM) *

Gotta 912E here with a plugged air pump distribution tube. REALLY hard mig welds, and I'm going through drill bits like popcorn at a movie. Of course, bits are cheaper than multiplex popcorn, but it's still getting expensive. Probably has the same air pump hardware as a '75-'76 2.0. Anybody know? Might be looking for one of those if I can't drill or cut this s%#t out.

The Cap'n

sww914
I hope it's the same. Richard at VPA said he had a hard time sourcing some of the 912-E smog parts but I can't remember specifically which parts. If the part you need is unique, Richard is still very good friends with Chuck who owns the 912 and I think they've removed some of the smog stuff so it may be available.
Call me if you need more help than that.

Maybe you can anneal the welds to soften them for easier drilling?
Also, Wurth has some badass drill bits, we used them to drill the hardened frame rails on new Volvos. They were the only things that could go through besides a plasma cutter but that gets messy.
Jake Raby
Capn,
I have lots of these parts that I have saved over years of 912E work. I have no use for the emissions equipment at all... I even have air pumps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.