Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsurfer
MY 5000 mile clutch cable broke. I bought the car in Minn. 5 years ago. I have two questions: 1. Which cable will last the longest.
2. How can I identify the cable that broke. The last service receipt before I took possession shows part number 904546, not a Porsche number.

Thanks for the help.

Gene
Jeffs9146
Sounds like the dreaded clutch tube problem! sad.gif

Clutch Tube Repair Classics

xsurfer
No, the tube area is fine. NO RUST.

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 10 2011, 03:44 PM) *

Sounds like the dreaded clutch tube problem! sad.gif

Clutch Tube Repair Classics

SLITS
It could be a GEMCO or whatever. Not everything retains a Porsche part number ... if it did it would be 10 times the price.

Some recommend the Terry Cable ... I've always used whatever is for sale by the Vendors.

And the /6 cable should be the same as the /4.

Edit.... I just looked it up ... it's a hi-performance Terry Cable .... Google is your friend

http://www.automotion.com/transmission-and...utch-cable.html
914Sixer
The Porsche 914-6 cable is thicker than the -4 cable. They are usually about $5 more than the -4 cable. I do not think the aftermarket shows the difference though.
xsurfer
Thanks, your spot on!

QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 10 2011, 05:08 PM) *

It could be a GEMCO or whatever. Not everything retains a Porsche part number ... if it did it would be 10 times the price.

Some recommend the Terry Cable ... I've always used whatever is for sale by the Vendors.

And the /6 cable should be the same as the /4.

Edit.... I just looked it up ... it's a hi-performance Terry Cable .... Google is your friend

http://www.automotion.com/transmission-and...utch-cable.html

xsurfer

Thanks, I couldn't find the cable in Pet 5. I'm wondering if the routing caused the problem. The outer cable tube is tied to the engine bending the tube to the right. I measure the cable to the break, it was at the bend. The clutch was also adjusted to the end of the threads, the remaining threaded portion probably hit the engine case, I'm not sure. I'll secure the cable in a different manner when

quote name='914Sixer' date='Mar 10 2011, 05:59 PM' post='1442806']
The Porsche 914-6 cable is thicker than the -4 cable. They are usually about $5 more than the -4 cable. I do not think the aftermarket shows the difference though.
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.