Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window tint on 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
recko911
Wondering how many 914 have window tint and if so how dark. I am thinking of tinting my 914 but I would like some feed back. Pictures of your tinted 914 would be appreciated.
dion9146
I haven't actually driven my car with the windows UP in 3 years. smile.gif
Jeffs9146
Not legal in California to have your side and back tinted! I think the law states that the sides cant be tinted!
recko911
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 10 2011, 07:34 PM) *

Not legal in California to have your side and back tinted!

headbang.gif
Elliot Cannon
Go ahead and do it. How often will the windows be up anyway? Find a picture of John Petersons' Elvira. first.gif "Limo dark". smoke.gif
VegasRacer
Limo tint. ph34r.gif
recko911
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Mar 10 2011, 08:46 PM) *

Limo tint. ph34r.gif

aktion035.gif
Jeffs9146
I don't think that is California, is it?? unsure.gif
72914S
If you tint the rear window the night reflection is bad.
willamp
I was going to tint mine and then it occured to me that the side windows are usually down and I thought the tinted vent glass would look odd by itself.
carr914
QUOTE(72914S @ Mar 11 2011, 02:06 AM) *

agree.gif
brp986s
How difficult is it to get that stuff off?
Cap'n Krusty
I've done it. Start early, pack a lunch .................

The Cap'n
biosurfer1
I've had tint on my side windows for my last 4 cars (not my 914) in CA and never once been pulled over for it. I think you have to find a pretty bored cop or be doing something stupid. Granted, my 914 attracts much more attention than those but I wouldn't worry about it.

There is some great stuff out there that you spray on the tint and come back in a couple hours and the tint just flakes away. We took a horrible tint job off a friends car that way years ago and it worked great. All that was left was small areas that a razor blade took care of.
recko911
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 11 2011, 06:11 AM) *

QUOTE(72914S @ Mar 11 2011, 02:06 AM) *

agree.gif

The reflection is bad at night with limo tint or just any tint? I am thinking I will tint a medium tint. Not too dark.
jim_hoyland
I've had the 30% tint film for the past 15 years. Visability is good night/day, and really reduces the heat build up inside when windows have to be up.

It's removed with steam--seen a guy redo a car at the local shop.
'73-914kid
That's what I'm looking for too.. do you have that on the rear window as well Jim?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Mar 11 2011, 04:22 PM) *

That's what I'm looking for too.. do you have that on the rear window as well Jim?

Yup. The 30% works perfect on side/windwing and rear window. No reflection issues with 30%. The darker tints 50% + are really bad at night; but, probably necessary if you live in the desert...
ripper911
Are the DIY kits from a local flaps any good? This is also something I have been thinking about, mostly because modern headlights are pretty much at eye level for our cars. and it would look cool. shades.gif
Cairo94507
I live in CA and have had all of my cars tinted for the past 30 years approximately. The key is to not tint dark on the side windows. Do what you want on the rear, but I always do my side windows, all of them, in the lightest tint they have.

Now I do not think I will be tinting my 914. I may just buy the factory tinted glass and install that. The jury is still out on that however. Maybe I will just tint the sides and rear glass in the lightest highest quality tint they have. I want to cut the sun's rays ad glare but I do not want it to look like a ghetto car (no offense to those living in the ghetto with $2K cars with $5K wheels, 10K stereos and limo tint and multiple gats BTW biggrin.gif )
AZ914
Ripper.. I did a DIY kit years ago back when I was a student with no money for a pro job. It came out OK, but definitely had a haze to it. It could have just been a crappy install job by me.

There is so little glass on the 914 (and its all flat) that I would think a pro job would be pretty affordable.

I was considering doing 35% all around (thats the most we can legally do on the front sides here) but still on the fence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.