Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Daily Driver and comments from other drivers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
It is really surprising to me that I get a comment from someone almost every day.
Seems to come from some very diverse folks.

Was at the Vets today taking our 13 year old lab in for her annual blood work for Heart Worm Meds and for Rimadyl which she just started taking for arthritic elbows and hips.

Was getting her back into the 914 when a lady in an SUV pulls up next to me, gets out and makes a kind comment about my car....Interesting.
At the AX school I instructed at last Saturday I got positive comments from someone that races Datsun Roadsters and old Alfas, a Corvette driver and a couple of Rice jockeys.

It is also amazing how many of these same folks say something like, "I had a friend/relative/etc that had one of those years ago... smile.gif
tomh
Happens to me every time I drive my car or bus.
GeorgeRud
Actually, this seems to happen all the time these days. I think in a world of cookie cutter cars that all look basically the same, our cars really do stand out, and the design has aged much better than many.

Andyrew
I used to get that all the time driving the 944. Then driving the hot rod audi i got nothing but the occasional ricer wanting to race.. Now i drive my crx all the time and i ger revved at every time i drive it... (i cant help it if i rev back sometimes).. But sometimes i just feel like crap when i want to give a porsche guy a thumbs up or a guy in a nice hot rod.. I feel ashamed driving the honda.. But if i saw a 914 owner i would start a full blown conversation with them!
sww914
Every day. Everybody's pretty nice. I think they're afraid of us because we're obviously insane or we wouldn't be driving a 40 year old car when there are plenty of newer cars in better shape for less money that get better mileage and almost never break.
The 2 most common comments that I get are- I always wanted one- from the cool interested guys or- UHH, My buddy pudda V-8 in wunna dim- from the 45 year old guy on a cheap bicycle and a dirty ball cap over his long hair and a 12 pack of something Ice bungeed to the bike rack.
tradisrad
I had some guy at a stop light that wanted me to roll down my passanger window so he could talk to me about the car. I guess he did not realize that I dont have power windows and could not easily roll my window down.

Root_Werks
People will point and turn heads at the only two cars I have and drive. I think it's becuase you don't see any on the roads around here anymore. The only time I see another 914 on the road is when I'm at a local 914 event. The only time I see an old VW on the road is sometimes while driving. Usually a Bug, almost never a Type 3. Bus from time to time. Ghia's, never, long nose 911's, never. 944's are even getting rare to see on the road.

I can only speak to what I've seen and heard so reality could be much different. My kid will be 18 this summer. His generation seems to think of cars the same way they think of a dishwasher or clothes washer/dryer etc. It's just another appliance to them and they typically have no interest in cars older than anything that requires them to work on it. Much like most household appliances, once they start showing signs of wear or failure, they think "replace it before it breaks".

Thus, the low frequency of 914's or other older cars.

When my Kids buddies come over to hang out, they typically pass through the garage. The just sit and stare at the 914 and Squareback, comment on the coolness of the cars, but show no interest in operation of the cars.

Just what I've noticed over the past few years. confused24.gif
recko911
I agree my 914 is my daily driver and frequently get comments from other drivers even with drivers who have really nice cars. Occasionally I get the young Honda kid that wants to race on green. It's tempting but not worth it...

But I've got to say

It feels damn good to drive a 914!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.