Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni Gland Nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sailor
Been dissasembling my front suspension to replace the control arm bushings and thought I would check out what shocks were installed. Turned out to be Koni Special D's. Further inspection revealed these were secured using Boge gland nuts. Contacted Koni but they were unable to cross reference a proper gland nut because the shocks were so old. So I am searching for the correct nuts or other solution (replacement is high on my list). The part number on the shock is 82R 1730. The diameter of the shock where the gland nut goes is 36mm. They are mounted in standard 914 Boge struts.

Thanks
jaxdream
I have a set of those same inserts . The top gland nut is crimped down inside the outter tube , not sure if it would affect the operation of the inserts if removed as yours are . You are aware that these are the twist to set for different settings ??

Jack / Jaxdream
Eric_Shea
Koni inserts in Boge struts don't use the Boge gland nuts? confused24.gif
jaxdream
Here are some pics of what I have listed under the part number you listed.Crimp marked in chalk , it's crimped in three places around the tube.Need special Koni nut wrench .
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Sailor
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 11 2011, 11:23 AM) *

Koni inserts in Boge struts don't use the Boge gland nuts? confused24.gif

The picture below shows my shock insert and the gland nut that secured it. Much different than Jack's setup. The ID of my gland nut is 41.8 mm while the OD of the shock is 36mm. This leaves alot of wiggle room. The nut does not slide over the 43.5mm OD lip just below the top, it screws down on top of it. This results in a 0.75mm contact around the perimeter of the lip. In essence it does not appear that the nut provides any lateral support to center the shock in the strut. I assume that this is not proper, please correct me if I am wrong.

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Mar 11 2011, 08:36 AM) *

You are aware that these are the twist to set for different settings ??

Jack / Jaxdream

Thanks, yes I was aware. Have a matching set on the rear.

Click to view attachment
jaxdream
Yes , yours are different , possibly a newer version. You can probably use the gland nut you have , just need a spacer to compnsate for the wiggle room. Have you tryed to stack washers on top keep it from shifting inside the nut ?? What ever you use will have to clear the oil seal at top of the insert .Good luck with what you got , I think you can make it work .
FWIW , the inserts that I have came from a 72 , they were not screwed all the way down inside the strut tube , stuck up about 3/16 of an inch . The peg at the bottom could be ground down to allow them to seat fully .
Jack / Jaxdream
sixnotfour
you need different caps or a spacer made.
The Koni caps take a pin spanner to tighten, not notches like yours.

Eric_Shea
I've seen them both ways but thought the ones you have were made for the Boge nut.

Go with what Jeff (sixnotfour) says... he knows more than I do. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
smash.gif
Eric_Shea
Ahhhhh... "See" Senior. Keeps the top from moving side to side. wink.gif
Sailor
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 12 2011, 08:55 AM) *

smash.gif

Jeff,

Do you know the inside diameter of the nuts in your picture? The OD of the shock they went with would be helpful too. When I talked with the technician at Koni he was not sure the nuts they had would work with my shocks. He couldn't find anything with matching diameters. Thanks.
sixnotfour
ya yours are old,, different dia., If you would like I can spin you out some rings.
Thats the simple solution. I have made the same mistake , must get gland nuts with shocks ,,,, note to self. LMK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.