Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Final Drive seal question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Axles are going to be off shortly to address leaking cv boots. Is is a good idea to replace the rear final drive seal? Does the transmission fluid need to be drained to replace the seal?

Thanks,
Tod
Bartlett 914
Unless they are leaking, I would leave them alone. You will need to drain the oil. This is a good time to do an oil change.

QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 11 2011, 11:00 AM) *

Axles are going to be off shortly to address leaking cv boots. Is is a good idea to replace the rear final drive seal? Does the transmission fluid need to be drained to replace the seal?

Thanks,
Tod

windforfun
Yes. Not completely. Make sure the section of axle shaft that contacts the seal is clean & corrosion free.
Cap'n Krusty
You don't have to drain the trans. If you fear leaks, jack one side up higher than the other, do that side, then do the same for the other one. Make sure the stub isn't pitted, clean it well. Oil the outside of the seal, as well as the inside, and install it. If they're not leaking, I wouldn't bother the change them.

The Cap'n
tod914
Thanks guys. Good suggestion Capt'n with the working side raised. Thinking while I'm in there type of thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.