Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you save a wheel with a deep scratch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
Can it be fixed? confused24.gif
balljoint
Dood. What the heck did you do to piss off Wolverine?

Polishing won't do it.

Grind it down? That will take a lot of material off and change the look of that section.

Fill it, then grind and polish.

Put some bondo in it and then paint black. smile.gif
DanT
It is not hopeless.
will need lots of attention with some fairly large grit sandpaper then decreasing grits...then some polishing with aluminum polish and a polishing wheel.
I had a couple of pretty good sized gouges in the outer rim of one of my latest set of Fuchs...I used a metal file on it to get the worst cut down and then started with the sandpaper...takes some time but it is doable.
Or get ahold or Harvey or Al Weideman....they can fix just about anything on Fuchs wheels. smile.gif

If you sent them out to have a full polish, they would eliminate all those deep scratches before they started the polish.
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif I love PMs with good solutions.

Thanks for your tips guys beerchug.gif
bandjoey
Bondo might spin out. How 'bout JB Weld. It'll probably have more sticking power and is sandable, paintable.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 11 2011, 02:26 PM) *

Bondo might spin out. How 'bout JB Weld. It'll probably have more sticking power and is sandable, paintable.

JB weld or actual weld wink.gif
Spoke
I just polished a set of Fuchs with similar scratches. I started with 32 grit and worked up to 2000. One thing I did though was to sand each paddle equally so as to not get the wheel out of balance.

Same with the rim. If the rim had deep scratches on one side, I sanded them then sanded on the other side as well.
porbmw
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 11 2011, 03:46 PM) *

I just polished a set of Fuchs with similar scratches. I started with 32 grit and worked up to 2000. One thing I did though was to sand each paddle equally so as to not get the wheel out of balance.

Same with the rim. If the rim had deep scratches on one side, I sanded them then sanded on the other side as well.

Can't give you advice, but can give you assurance.

You BET that can be fixed. I managed to curb and severely gouge a Ruf wheel a few years back....removed nasty chunks .....took it to "the wheel guy"...it was way too deep to grind out or file off....it came back as new. It had/has the shiny metal finish...so he must have filled it with something, and polished it.

Don't stress out too much, it is in way better shape than the mess I'd made of mine. There's always a solution...time and/or money
davesprinkle
Two words: Al Reed.

I gave him a curbed Mahle wheel. He welded the divot and sent it back like new. About a hundred bux for repair, polish, and clear powder.
brant
don't be afraid to use a file... or grinder honestly
but also expect to spend many hours with sanding paper and varying polish wheels/compounds...

we've done 14 of these so far
(plus multiple 6inchers and cookie cutters)
probably over 100 hours of (unskilled?) labor so for on the race car wheels:

brant
and:
silver74insocal
how do you like those kumho's brant? hijacked.gif
brant
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Mar 11 2011, 09:20 PM) *

how do you like those kumho's brant? hijacked.gif

pictures are a couple of years old.
don't have them any more
I used to like them a lot though

we have a different set of rains now... Toyo RA1's that replaced these
I like the kumho's a lot more than the RA1's to be honest.

the hoosiers are still 2 seconds faster ultimately and we run them 99% of the time.

The kumho's were about the same lap time as the RA1's are, but felt much better than the toyo's

the toyo's need to be driven really hard and slid a ton to get temp in them and to really hold. Its a much looser style than the kumho's used to have.

the hoosier style and kumho's driving style are similar, where as the toyo's feel odd....... (remind me of our spare locked diff tranny driving style)

brant
DanT
Victorocks biggrin.gif

decent mid level DOT R with 50 wear rating. may be a tire he has to use in the class he runs, or they are his practice tires smile.gif or maybe his rain setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.