Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hours for Engine rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CG-914
Hi Guys,

Does anybody knows, what the right amount of hours for a 2.0 engine rebuild is?
Without cleaning!

Thanks
Click to view attachment
orange914
the definition of an engine rebuild can vary greatly, it all depends. will your case need line bored? are your heads rebuildable? will they even be rebuilt or replaced with reman.?

to get an idea of how many hours you may have in it yourself? how experianced in type IV are you? is a shop doing it?
CG-914
I work in a shop and somethings I did and somethings went on the shop hours.

But: The question is:
How many hours would a shop need to rebuild a type 4 if cylinder heads and stuff like that have been done by a other machine shop.
CG-914
Basicly: to take engine apart, measuring, put the engine together with new parts [provided of the clock], resealing and putting it in the car including seatting.

How many hours are legit?
sww914
I don't have the labor times guide for type 4's. As I was trying to look it up for you I realized that an R&I and rebuild for an '84-'87 911 is 68.7 hours, plus machine work. I would guess more than 1/2 of that for a type 4.
I'm trying to find a labor times guide online that applies.
Al Meredith
If I don't have to remove and replace an engine, just rebuild it, I can do it in 40 hours. That is cleaning, tear down, hone cylinders, weigh and measure everything , install new bearings , rings ,seals etc. That is for a stock engine that does not have a non stock cam and has stock pushrods , stock pistons ,ETC. If you have to measure and cut pushrods and check and adjust deck heights and so on it takes longer. I run my rebuilds on an engine run up stand to check for leaks and oil pressure . I don't do any FI install and set up.
Jake Raby
It takes us 80 hours to get an engine ready for the dyno, another 10 hours to dyno and get it in the crate.
r_towle
30-40 hours is my opinion.
Provided you have a pretty clean motor.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.