Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will 1.7 rockers work on a 2.0? I think I need some 2.0 rockers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I was installing the rockers on a GA case 2.0 and had an adjustment screw and lock nut fail. I'm sure their stretched and will not allow fine adjustment. I had a heck of a time removing the screw from the rocker.

I checked the adjustment screw with a thread chaser for size. It appears the screw is an 8mm X 1. I went to the Pelican site to price check these and noticed they show the rocker screw as 10mm for the 73 and up 2.0. Did someone at one time install 1.7 rockers on this 2.0?

Any issues with using these on a stock engine?

The heads are 2.0 with three intake studs.

Is the ratio the same?

If there is, anyone have a full set of rockers?
rick 918-S
I had some 2.0 rockers on another engine. I would still like to know if 2.0 and 1.7 engines have the same rocker arm ratio if anyone knows.
Root_Werks
1.7 rockers will work on a 2.0, but my understanding is only if you do the swivel foot converion. Ratios are the same.

I was going to do this on my 2.0 pretty soon. Wanna trade those 1.7 rockers for my 2.0 rockers?
HAM Inc
The ratios are the same and the rockers are interchangable. You can run the 1.7's on a 2.0 with the std adjusters, but the swivels will dramatically increase the life of your valve guides and valve seats by reducing the side loading exerted on the valve.
rick 918-S
Thanks for the reply Len I may go that route.

Dan, I'll look around. I may have another set of 1.7 rockers.

Here's another related question. Did the diameter of the adjustment screw on the 2.0 help with the valve side load or is the 1.7 with the swivel foot adjustment screw the only real fix for this.

Interesting.
gothspeed
I just went through these questions while building my new 2056cc with peppy camshaft. The following are my opinions and observations;

1. the stock radius on the adjuster tip of stock 2.0 10mm rockers, are not designed for bigger cams. They will put too much 'side' load on the valve stems which would wear the guides. One would have to virtually sharpen the tip just to make it kinda work.

2. the stock 8mm adjusters may work 'slightly' better than the 10mm adjusters with a big cam, as they haves a much smaller tip, which stays closer to the center. but in reality are not even worth putting on either.

3. even if one uses lash caps, both stock adjusters (8mm and 10mm) are basically crap for any modded motor. Which also says solid adjusters are marginal, even on stock cam motors.

4. after messing with both 1. and 2. configurations, it is magnitudes better to use 1.7 8mm rockers and use 8mm swivel adjusters .......... and save yourself a ton of time and grief!!! shades.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 12 2011, 04:28 PM) *

4. after messing with both 1. and 2. configurations, it is magnitudes better to use 1.7 8mm rockers and use 8mm swivel adjusters .......... and save yourself a ton of time and grief!!! shades.gif

agree.gif
gothspeed
This article was helpful in my decision;

http://www.b2600turbo.com/valve_adjustment_screws.htm

They tested quite a few and gave their first hand feedback on each style of adjuster smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.