Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
OK. All you electric trouble shooters. I think I've dug a pretty good hole here. Considering I still think of electricity as a mysterious work of the devil. Due to some problems with my voltage regulator not making contact with the relay board, I bought another board and the voltage regulator seats in the relay board fine and the alternator light comes on when it's supposed to. Problem is, I couldn't get power from the usual terminal on the relay board for the fuel pump. (Converted from fuel injection to carbs). I tried using one of the fuze terminals on the relay board to power the fuel pump and it ran awhile and then I smelled the SMELL. You know...plastic melting!! Disconnected the fuel pump from the terminal (good idea huh)? Then the starter wouldn't even turn over. I got under the car and hot wired the starter and my "hot start" relay and the engine turned over at least. I tried it with the key and it will turn over but now I have no green oil light and when I turn the key on my oil temp goes way off scale high and I don't seem to have any spark. The engine gets fuel (wired the fuel pump to the battery) but won't start. Did I destroy another relay board? The coil? What? Is the God of electrons mad at me? What do I do next?
Cheers, Elliot
underthetire
Did ya get the plug one pin off on the relay board?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 12 2011, 01:56 PM) *

Did ya get the plug one pin off on the relay board?

Plug one pin?? Forward right pin of the four pins on the left rear corner of the relay board? No power from that pin. That's why I looked for another source of power for the fuel pump. Now when I turn on the key, I get NO oil pressure light, my oil pressure gauge pegs off scale high and the damn engine won't start. AAARRGH WTF.gif
URY914
Bring it over and I'll look at it. And bring a 12 pack.
Spoke
Which fuse did you connect to? The 8A or 25A one?

If the starter won't start now, you more than likely damaged the relay board. The starter wire just goes from the connector towards the front of the car to the rear connector. It's a straight shot across the relay board.

Did you have the forward left pin of the FI grounded? This will turn the fuel pump relay on.
markb
Check for melted wires under the dash. sad.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 12 2011, 03:28 PM) *

Which fuse did you connect to? The 8A or 25A one?

If the starter won't start now, you more than likely damaged the relay board. The starter wire just goes from the connector towards the front of the car to the rear connector. It's a straight shot across the relay board.

Did you have the forward left pin of the FI grounded? This will turn the fuel pump relay on.

I think I fried the board. Which means I screwed the pooch. Which means I don't know what the fuch I'm doing. lol-2.gif
Tom
Oh boy, that doesn't sound good. Before you write off the relay board, check the wires going into and out of the board. I would think the wires would be more apt to be damaged. It might be a good time to disconnect the battery until your find out what caused the smell and smoke.
Tom
Spoke
QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 12 2011, 09:08 PM) *

Oh boy, that doesn't sound good. Before you write off the relay board, check the wires going into and out of the board. I would think the wires would be more apt to be damaged. It might be a good time to disconnect the battery until your find out what caused the smell and smoke.
Tom

agree.gif

Remove the relay board and check the wires going in and out of the board. Look at the schematic in your repair manual and do a resistance check on the wires that go straight in then out especially the one for your starter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.