Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT, Bought my first gas lawn mower.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I used to keep my electric mower in my attatched 6x10' shed that has an instant on propane water heater. The shed is well vented. I ran the mower dry of gas then I poured off anything remaining from tank. At this time the flaot bowl leaked out too. It is sitting in sun with the gas lid loose. Is this safe to store in my shed? I also have a gallon of gas in a new plastic jug. I wouldn't keep this in the shed. Is the jug safe to store this outside? I have a tarped enclosure big enough to fit my kids gas go-kart. Wadjall think?
Eric_Shea
Wadjall think?

You're over thinking it a tad... blink.gif

biggrin.gif
Krieger
I typically do that. I just about to pull apart those 308 pistons. How do I get to that writeup on dissasembly.
Eric_Shea
Go get them plated!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2454...mp;l=f5e7f17a0c
montoya 73 2.0
Is your water heater 18" above the ground or is it set on the ground? Gas fume creeps along the ground. Thats why California's requirement is 18" off the ground, which is a safety regulation to help prevent ignition of flammable vapors.

In accordance with the 2006 edition of National Fuel Gas Code NFPA54 ANSI Z223.1,
"Appliances in residential garages and in adjacent spaces that open to the garage and are not part of the living space of a dwelling unit shalll be installed so that all burners and burner ignition devices are located not less than 18 in (460 mm) above the floor unless listed as flammable vapor ignition resistant."

Oh man, I sound like the Cap'n.
Eric_Shea
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

You don't want them to look like this!

IPB Image
Krieger
Ah, the vise! I have to if I have a plater nearby. My water heater is 16" from the ground. The unit has no ventilation for another 15" higher. I need to check its flammability resistance status. Thanks guys!
Krieger
I took the cover off the water heater and the burner is 24" from the ground.
Lou W
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 12 2011, 05:34 PM) *

Wadjall think?

You're over thinking it a tad... blink.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
bandjoey
Plug in a floor fan to vent the area? Let er blow and collect insurance for a really big idea.gif riding lawn mower?
chrispy
Danger Will Robbinson!
Propane is heavier than air, and if leaking, will collect in your unventlitated burner area. Thus creating a large explosion as seen on the nightly news in many mobile home parks (usually propane supplied)
sww914
Sorry, I was being a dick so I've edited away my smartass comments.
I left my lawnmower outside for 6 years at the coast, it always ran fine. Once I cleaned the spark plug and the air filter.
I didn't exactly buy it new, however, so I wasn't really worried about it's condition at all, I got it from the yardsale leftovers pile marked free that I walked by in my neighborhood early one Monday morning.
carr914
Go Back to using Goats to do your Yardwork & you'll be fine biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 12 2011, 07:28 PM) *

I used to keep my electric mower in my attatched 6x10' shed that has an instant on propane water heater. The shed is well vented. I ran the mower dry of gas then I poured off anything remaining from tank. At this time the flaot bowl leaked out too. It is sitting in sun with the gas lid loose. Is this safe to store in my shed? I also have a gallon of gas in a new plastic jug. I wouldn't keep this in the shed. Is the jug safe to store this outside? I have a tarped enclosure big enough to fit my kids gas go-kart. Wadjall think?

Open flame------gas
Two different storage areas.

Dont put them in the same building...you will eventually make a mistake.
I would hate to have to empty the tank everytime I mowed the lawn.

Consider this..the mower is waterproof...it can sit outside...so can the can of gas.

Rich
patssle
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 13 2011, 12:07 AM) *

I left my lawnmower outside for 6 years at the coast, it always ran fine.

We might be on to something. Mine is outside 24/7, and I just started it up the other day after sitting all winter outside in rain, shine, and freezing temps. It took a few minutes and some heavy cranking to get it going, but it runs great! It's an old POS too.
Mike Bellis
The lawn mower is more dangerous with an empty tank. Liquid gasolene does not burn. Only the vapor will burn. Gasolene has the same specific gravity as air. So, the height of the water heater does not matter for gasolene. Propane is heavier than air. If your shed is well ventelated, you will be fine. Store the lawn mower with a full tank.
messix
following all these expert opinions you prolly shouldn't park your car in the garage then either. a properly stored gas powered yard tool and vehicle [no leaks in the fuel system and gas caps on] does not pose a reasonable explosion threat.
Krieger
The lawn mower only hold 1.6 qts of gas. Almost all of it was used up. I stuck my oil drain pan next to the mower and tipped the mower over. I don't water my lawn so when it warms up its dead. I only mow maybe 10 x each year. I'll keep it under my deck in the summer time. Its been in the shed for about 17 hours now and that hot water heater has been on and off a bunch now. No big boom sounds.
montoya 73 2.0
I store my lawn mower, DR trimmer, snow thrower (all gas) and gas cans in my garage. They are right next to the big door so they vent to the outside. Most devices with pilot flames are closest to house so if they are in opposite sides / opposite ends of the garage I don't see a problem. It is better to be safe than sorry, if you feel more comfortable storing outside than thats good too.

I had personal experience when I was a kid in the late 70's (in San Jose, California) with the neighbor behind us blowing up his garage and unfortunately giving his daughter (my friend) third degree burns on her legs and torso. He was filling his mower near the water heater (mounted to the ground), set the old metal gas can down un-capped and walked into the house. I had went home (back in the day when there weren't many fences seperating the houses) for dinner. The girl was playing in the garage waiting for her dad to come back outside when BOOM! It was bad!
r_towle
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 13 2011, 02:56 PM) *

following all these expert opinions you prolly shouldn't park your car in the garage then either. a properly stored gas powered yard tool and vehicle [no leaks in the fuel system and gas caps on] does not pose a reasonable explosion threat.

Where do the fumes vent on a mowers gas cap?
How big is your garage?
How large is the shed in question?
Apples and oranges in my opinion....

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.