Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: acclerator cable is short
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gendent
It is a 73 2.0 l with fuel injection. I installed the new cable but it is 1 inch too short. It is part of the clutch/acclerator combo from Auto Atlanta. I have checked the tunnel to be sure I didn't wrap it around something as well as I can and have only 5 turns on the forward aspect where it snaps to the pedal combo. It appears the distance from the metal anchor with the set nuts and the throttle body arm is too short in the new cable Is there anything I can do short of ordering another acclerator cable?

Jim
Eric_Shea
There's another thread in here somewhere within the last couple of months... Same problem.
Eric_Shea
Clutch cable...sorry.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...hl=cable++short
bandjoey
Are the new and old the same length? A new routing for the cable? Call George for help.
gendent
I hadn't thought to measure prior to install, but the route is the same. In addition the old one only had a very few strands remaining and I had assumed it probably had streached. It appears the sheathing is cut a little too long between the firewall fitting and the metal fitting that is afixed at the terminus which limits the movement of the cable when it is actuated. I will get a photo tomorrow AM to help with the description. If all is not well by Monday morning I will call George. I may try to adapt the cable by removing the metal that mounts on the aft end of the sheething, shortening the sheething, replacing the metal fitting and alllowing more distance between the end of the cable and the end of the sheething. I have no idea if that makes any sense whatsoever. I will get pics tomorrow. Feel free to weigh in if anyone has any insight.

Jim
McMark
So the sheathing mounts to the plenum okay? But the cable doesn't reach the throttle plate?

Make sure the cable is fully seated onto the tube coming out of the firewall. The metal end of the sheath should slide over the tube.

Also make sure your throttle arm on the pedal set isn't bent.

And finally, the end that bolts to the throttle plate is smooth, not threaded, correct?
gendent
McMark, thanks for the response, and yes it is smooth, I didn't put in backwards this time. Your response made me laugh because that is something I could well do. All other points check out well. Can the sheething be cut back 1 1/2 inches and the plenum attachment point be put back on ? Just grabbing at straws here.
McMark
I asked about about smooth vs. threaded because the 914/6 throttle cable is different and has a threaded end.

I wouldn't cut the sheathing. I'd rather wait an extra week to get driving rather than attempting a repair that could potentially leave you stranded on the side of the road.

The metal piece on the end of the sheathing isn't just sitting there. It was crimped into place with special hydraulic full circle crimpers. You might be able to make it work, but you'll never get it back to the way it was.

Also,
Make sure the cable is fully seated onto the tube coming out of the firewall. The metal end of the sheath should slide over the tube.

gendent
Mc Mark,

I had difficulty getting the cable seated on the tube coming out of the fire wall, the inner diameter of the fitting on the cable didnt agree with the tube out of the fire wall. This phase is still on hold. I agree that the crimp is a special process, but when I went back to look at it and gave it a test spin, it dislocated from the shielded tube. I figured what the hell and used dental instruments to adapt the tube to the length to what I think it needs. No dispargement to the cable mfg. process, but I can be a little impatient at times. i will order another cable because of my bastarding the original. I am now resolving a fuel issue in a riding lawn mower so that means spring is around the corner and more daylight to work on the 914!

Thanks for your insights,

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.