Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noticed a new noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
I first noticed it the other night when i was driving home in the pouring rain. I thought the wipers were awfully loud. The intermittent squeege sound of the back and fourth motion. (my best description) then I turned off the wipere for a min. The sound was still there blink.gif The sound was not the wipers.

I slowed down at the first traffic light and the sound went away just before i came to a stop. Then started again once i got up to 25+ mph confused24.gif

Now today, I drove to work with the top off and the sound was pretty damn loud. dry.gif Car runs and drive awesome. I cant tell exactly where the sound is comming from (the engine or rear wheels) because every time i stop or go slow the sound is gone. Soooo I would think the sound is comming from a rear wheel confused24.gif

I checked clearence (rubbing sound) and the wheels are close on the inside, i cannot get a finger inbetween. But if the wheel was rubbing, why would it stop when i am still rolling at 20mph.

Could it be alternator??
Engine wine??

How in the heck can you chase a noise thats only there when you cant look wacko.gif
type47
I have a noise in my '74 that I guess is the wheel bearing. It starts at about 30 mph (speeding up) and most of the time is a squealing whining sound, and stops at about 30 mph when slowing down. Been there for a couple of years never getting worse (or better). I do not look forward to changing rear bearings!
Spoke
So it's a rolling sound? That is, when the car is at rest, the engine is not making the sound?

Lift one wheel at a time and roll the wheel and check for gritty feel.

If the sound/feel is there for both, it could be the tranny.

Most likely it is a wheel bearing.

Have fun!

ripper911
Also if your seals on the rear window aren't in the best shape it'll squeak.
underthetire
Hum, started in the rain, how's your cv boots. Could also be rear brakes. I didn't think rear bearings were all that bad to do myself.
jsayre914
The cvs were repacked last season. Its not a squeek like a seal or the top. its a RRR rrrr RRR rrr RRR kinda sound. No grinding noise. It really sounded like the wipers on the fast speed. It even made noise perfectly in sink with the wipers blink.gif

I was not smoke.gif

I am leaning twards rear bearing mabey? Does anyone wanna drive around the block with me while hanging on to the rear deck lid?? I can bunjee you down laugh.gif
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.