Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - bolt head on a corolla ignition switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
what kind of tool is needed to remove this bolt?

ldsgeek
Use a center punch at an angle to knock it around. That is what is left a shear bolt. The head is necked down and snaps at the correct torque to make it harder to remove as an anti-theft measure. Once you get it out just match the threads and replace with a standard bolt.
jimkelly
oh geez.

well - i got the starter out and will replace it.

if that does not work - i will tackle these FREAKIN bolts.

what the hell will they think up next?

wrestling a naked swimsuit model covered in baby oil seems to be less of a challenge : )) then shear bolts.

thanks

jim
phatnine11
Jim,
Are you trying to remove the tumbler assembly or the ignition switch?
Phatnine11
jimkelly
my plan for today was to remove the starter ( done ) and the whole ignition MODULE and just get a replacement on ebay. i am not sure what is bad but when i turn the key the lights come on on the dash but the starter does nothing, maybe makes a slight small thud/click. the cars was acting weird for a few starts and then nothing. i though maybe it was the ignition switch because my son - who is learning to drive - has a habit of turning the keyTHE WRONG WAY when trying to start the car sometimes, and that is when the problem first occured.

thanks
jim

QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Mar 13 2011, 01:22 PM) *

Jim,
Phatnine11

phatnine11
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 13 2011, 01:29 PM) *

my plan for today was to remove the starter ( done ) and the whole ignition MODULE and just get a replacement on ebay. i am not sure what is bad but when i turn the key the lights come on on the dash but the starter does nothing, maybe makes a slight small thud/click. the cars was acting weird for a few starts and then nothing. i though maybe it was the ignition switch because my son - who is learning to drive - has a habit of turning the keyTHE WRONG WAY when trying to start the car sometimes, and that is when the problem first occured.

thanks
jim

QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Mar 13 2011, 01:22 PM) *

Jim,
Phatnine11

Jim,
If memory serves me right, the white part with the two screws is the actual ignition switch. If you remove it from the assembly, you should see a "slot" that you can use a screw driver on as a key. This way, you don't have to install the entire unit while you are testing and if the switch is bad, you don't have to remove the tumbler assembly and re-key, just replace the switch. I would check for voltage on the solenoid wire at the starter and work my way back to the switch.
jimkelly
thanks - i will check voltage.

jim

--
silver74insocal
FLAPS can test your starter right? confused24.gif
brant
I've also cut a slot with a dremel in those bolts before
Nissan's in the late 1980's and early 90's were famous with those bolts

but a slot and a flat screw driver can work.

brant
jimkelly
that was my plan - to have napa test the starter in the am - jim

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Mar 13 2011, 02:40 PM) *

FLAPS can test your starter right? confused24.gif

jimkelly
i was hoping so - cause i don't think i'd have room to be successful with a center punch in that area. jim

QUOTE(brant @ Mar 13 2011, 03:00 PM) *

I've also cut a slot with a dremel in those bolts before
Nissan's in the late 1980's and early 90's were famous with those bolts

but a slot and a flat screw driver can work.

brant

jimkelly
not alot of room in the corolla engine bay - but got the starter out - took it to napa and they tested it and said it is fine - shit.

got back home, put the starter back in, and pulled the ignition switch. put it on my homemade tester - and founf the ignition switch part seemed to be working - hum.

so i put it all back together and now it starts up fine - what : )
phatnine11
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 14 2011, 03:02 PM) *

not alot of room in the corolla engine bay - but got the starter out - took it to napa and they tested it and said it is fine - shit.

got back home, put the starter back in, and pulled the ignition switch. put it on my homemade tester - and founf the ignition switch part seemed to be working - hum.

so i put it all back together and now it starts up fine - what : )

Jim,
Are you sure you're not working on a Teener??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.