Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My wife thinks my 914 is a money pit- BS!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tornik550
So earlier today I informed my wife that I was sending my heads off to get them ported. Her response was "hmmmm, that car really seems like a money pit". What? Thats absurd!!!!

Working on my 914 keeps me sane. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than a psychiatrist. Some people just don't understand.

I guess next time, I need to forget to tell her when I spend money on the car.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 13 2011, 05:51 PM) *

So earlier today I informed my wife that I was sending my heads off to get them ported. Her response was "hmmmm, that car really seems like a money pit". What? Thats absurd!!!!

Working on my 914 keeps me sane. Its a hell of a lot cheaper than a psychiatrist. Some people just don't understand.

I don't spend my evenings in the bar. Now that's a waste.
Dr Evil
Buy her something frivolous and $$ and she will not have an argument to make smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 13 2011, 03:55 PM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 13 2011, 05:51 PM) *

I don't spend my evenings in the bar. Now that's a waste.

agree.gif BTW, What in the world prompted you to bring up your mistress anyway! Never bring up the toys or their required donations. Believe me, they don't tell you everything. That's "nature's cushion and it is meant to give you happiness and harmony w/o the Zen approach. rolleyes.gif
TC 914-8
I read this topic title to my wife and she replied, "Ditto to his wife"
So I said, I could be spending my money at the golf course, or Bar, or better yet a Hooker!!.
So now, I'm banished to the garage, to drink beer and tinker on the Teener, Win-Win if you ask me. I'll be outside till the smoke clears.

beerchug.gif
914itis
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Mar 13 2011, 07:52 PM) *

So I said, I could be spending my money at the golf course, or Bar, or better yet a Hooker!!.
So now, I'm banished to the garage, to drink beer and tinker on the Teener, Win-Win if you ask me. I'll be outside till the smoke clears.

beerchug.gif

uh.............. I get everything free from the world members, just pay the shipping.. we exchange parts, and these gus do work as hobies....SHHHHHHHHH..
RON S.
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 13 2011, 03:51 PM) *

Trust me, all wives are smart enough to figure that one out.

Now imagine what her response is going to be 10 years from now when you are still working on the same car. biggrin.gif

Ron
flipb
After the latest unplanned repair (new brake MC), my wife suggested a new name for my Teener. Look at the color in my avatar and you can guess which citrus fruit she thought fitting.
computers4kids
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 13 2011, 02:51 PM) *

My wife thinks my 914 is a money pit- BS!

Yeah, so what's your point. smile.gif
gothspeed
Your wife is absolutely right smash.gif !! These cars are a complete waste of time, hope and money !! I thought I was gonna have my car running, flared and painted by now ........... its been too long and too much money for such a 'little' project .............. my patience is running short and my memory shorter ........... those jack stands have welded themselves onto the driveway ........... and to think I only put it up there to relocate the fuel pump wacko.gif huh.gif ........... and now I am redoing the suspension, 5 lugs, front/rear sway bars, new pedal set, refresh the brakes, redoing headlight mechanisms, restoring headlight buckets, GT flares, fuchs restoration, all new big valve 2056cc engine, fresh gear box, new custom exhaust, new interior, new paint .......... etc ....... etc ....... stirthepot.gif ..................... ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif

unsure.gif
tornik550
My wife is trying to convince me that we need more kids. I need to come up with a 914 wish list before I can start negotiating. (talk about money pit????)
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 13 2011, 04:54 PM) *

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Mar 13 2011, 07:52 PM) *

beerchug.gif

uh.............. I get everything free from the world members, just pay the shipping.. we exchange parts, and these gus do work as hobies....SHHHHHHHHH..

biggrin.gif After picking up my wife from work a few months back, I told her the good news that I was one of the chosen few for a "Porsche consumer testing comittee" huh.gif happy11.gif . Several vendors send me parts to test and all I have to do is give them my feedback, then I get to keep the parts! shades.gif She may believe that because she is in a similar consumer club dry.gif idea.gif .
jjackson
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 13 2011, 04:51 PM) *

My ex-wife said the same thing.2.0 L four in stock class at the time-Currently running twin plugged fuel injected six in a prepared class.THE only thing ex got right-current wife of 11 years loves driving the car- The only autocrosses she has missed-were due to pregnancy's.J beerchug.gif
sww914
Cheaper than boats, horses, or divorces.
matteyp
Man I feel your guys pain. My gf gives me so much crap for spending money on
My car. Everytime I feel like the car is close to being done I find another broken part or something I can improve on. Building and working on cars Will always be a never ending money pits. That is just how it is. Most women don't understand the attraction of taking something from a rusted hung of ugly metal to a beauty, unless of course u get extremely lucky and get a women who loves the hobby as much as u do. In this case hang onto that one!!!
tornik550
Weekly counselor visit- $100x52weeks=$5200
Monthly Psychiatrist visit- $150x12months=$1800
Antidepressant- $4x12months=$48
Daily six pack of beer- $6x365days=$2190
Marriage Couselling- $200?x21weeks= $4200
option of crack or other drug addition cost- ?

Total per year- $13438

So the $12000 that I have spent on the car is quite a bargain. I was able to avoid all of the above by working on my car.

moparrob
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 13 2011, 05:47 PM) *

My wife is trying to convince me that we need more kids. I need to come up with a 914 wish list before I can start negotiating. (talk about money pit????)

MORE KIDS!

Now THAT is a money pit. Have you checked out the cost of a 4 year college education lately? smash.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Mar 13 2011, 07:15 PM) *

(had to delete this one- my wife got pissed)

Listen to your wife poke.gif !!!!! Women are far more sensible than we give them credit for ............. popcorn[1].gif
JRust
Hell yes they are money pits!

Damned if it isn't the greatest damn pit I've ever seen or heard of. While it's been quite a while since I have driven out of the pit. I'll drive out of the pit straight to WCR 2011 in Medford biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I agree with Jamie. They are most certainly money pits. Just remember, your wife has priorities that count too. It's best if you make enough money so she doesn't notice. I just took my wife to Macy's and bought her a Dolce & Gabana bag and wallet and then to Target to get stuff she needed for the house. This simple act of making sure she has something she wants and everything she needs allows me to do what I want with the cars...
DanT
agree.gif smile.gif
sww914
AND, take her on a cruise and pay for a silly expensive spa day.
BuddyV
How much more money would you have saved in this life if you had remained single?!

Ha! HA!
chair.gif

... Can't live with em.... can't get them to understand cars and how sane they keep us.

moparrob
QUOTE(treborzerimar @ Mar 13 2011, 08:55 PM) *

How much more money would you have saved in this life if you had remained single?!

Ha! HA!
chair.gif

... Can't live with em.... can't get them to understand cars and how sane they keep us.

agree.gif
As a wise older friend once quipped "If it flies, fornicates or floats - it is cheaper to lease it..."
recko911
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Mar 13 2011, 03:52 PM) *

beerchug.gif

aktion035.gif
recko911
My wife tried to bring up the 914 expense.
I had to do what a man's got to do.

sheeplove.gif

Then more sheeplove.gif

Then ar15.gif
MikeSpraggi
Over the last few years between Thanksgiving (company bonus) and April (tax return), I receive a lot of parcels at our house ... all 914 related, parts and more parts. She knows something's going on but she doesn't ask where the money is coming from and I don't volunteer. I do tell her that the parcels are Porsche parts and things. If she want's to go on a trip or wants something for herself or the house, she gets it. So she finally asked when was I going to be finished with the cars. I hesitated and told her it's not going to end. She hasn't asked or made any further comments about the money pit ..err cars ever since. Wonder what that means blink.gif ?
moparrob
When my wife married me she knew cars (and motorcycles) were my mistress and that they were not going anywhere soon.

We have a don't ask, don't tell policy around the house. When she shows up with a new dress or slacks with tags on, or I see shoe boxes in the trash I don't say a word. Similarly, when the garage and home office starts filling up with new packages she doesn't seem to care.

To further mitigate damage I have all packages delivered to my office, rather than home. She does get a bit curious when I ask her to trade cars for the day so that I can use her Expedition to haul the larger boxes home. biggrin.gif
Andyrew
What works for me is that I say that this is what makes me happy. This is the hobby that I NEED. Sure I have a lot of other hobbies that come and go, but this is the only one that I truly love.

Granted, I probably dont spend nearly as much as you guys on the car (I dont tell her the expenses... but the past 5 years have had no major purchases and the car is pretty much done with purchases), but I do spend a lot of time on it lately.

RickS
When it is obvious I am dropping a chunk of moola on the car, (i.e. 4 to 6 conversion) I keep some in reserve to do some sort of home improvement she wants. It just shows her that she is doesn't take a back seat to the 914. and keeps everyone, except my wallet happy. Back seat? Maybe rear trunk.
dw914er
I need to find a wife with her own 914. Luckily the girlfriend is aware of my life long car obsession, so it's been alright so far.
matteyp
Cars have been in my blood since as long i can remember. Memories of helping my dad sand down his old Chevys will be with me forever. Amen to that my friend! laugh.gif
carr914
No wonder I'm Single & haven't been married for a long time beerchug.gif
ripper911
My mother is always telling me that she thinks I have some mental disease because I keep spending money on my old cars. I mean seriously, she thinks it is a serious mental illness that I put the car a a priority.

They just dont understand... at least my boyfriend dosen't mind, he enjoys riding in it as much as I do I think.
computers4kids
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Mar 13 2011, 09:13 PM) *

Over the last few years between Thanksgiving (company bonus) and April (tax She hasn't asked or made any further comments about the money pit ..err cars ever since. Wonder what that means blink.gif ?

She has started looking for a guy with a real porsche?
popcorn[1].gif
Rod
I'm allowed to do what I want biggrin.gif As long as I'm not up the pub drinking or out shagging my wife lets me do what I wish.. For now - We have our first child due in June laugh.gif
dflesburg
you let your woman talk like that to you?

In the new Muslim United States you will not be allowed to do this...

You better change your ways now. Soon this will be a punishable offense....
zymurgist
There's an old biker saying that goes "Ever notice that you never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office?"

Same thing for old cars. I call it gasoline therapy.
turboman808
Yeah I have seen this trend over and over on the 914 forums and even amongst my friends.

Get married and within a year all the cars are gone. If you are lucky maybe 20 years later she will let you buy another one.

confused24.gif

Told my fiance I am not selling any cars and as soon as the wedding is over I may just buy another.

happy11.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Mar 14 2011, 01:08 PM) *

Yeah I have seen this trend over and over on the 914 forums and even amongst my friends.

Get married and within a year all the cars are gone. If you are lucky maybe 20 years later she will let you buy another one.

<csb>

I have a friend who was in the process of moving to a larger house. In order to make it happen, his wife made him sell his prize winning gold 1965 Plymouth Barracuda.

Not long after the move, the family came into some money. The first thing he did was to buy a brand new 2000 Plymouth Prowler.

</csb>
tornik550
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Mar 14 2011, 01:08 PM) *

One year ago- I had a 911 (996), Cayenne Turbo and a 914. Now I have a wife and two kids (I kept the 914).

My wife was cool about the cars. She didn't want me to get rid of them. Now she is giving me this BS about the 914 being a money pit. I got rid of the two real money pits- the 996 and CTT.
Daiberl
I bought my wife an old 450SL, needs some work which I do so I spend my time between the 914 and the 450SL. She always wanted one so it keeps her happy when I spend the money partly on her classic car. I just ordered a new top and new upholstery for the seats, will also install heated seats in her car. And she has also a BMW Z3 which she enjoys so overall she is happy with me working on the 914 as long as I keep her cars in good shape smile.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 13 2011, 08:06 PM) *

Hell yes they are money pits!

Damned if it isn't the greatest damn pit I've ever seen or heard of. While it's been quite a while since I have driven out of the pit. I'll drive out of the pit straight to WCR 2011 in Medford biggrin.gif

......Hell yes they are money pits! laugh.gif poke.gif
bye1.gif
Haudiosolutions
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 13 2011, 11:46 PM) *

AND, take her on a cruise and pay for a silly expensive spa day.

LoL.... I bought my wife a day spa! It's cheaper to own than pay for all those services. Anyone heading to the mountains of east Tennessee? I know a great place to distract errr treat your wife!

Derrick
Sparky
I have several hobbies, fishing, cars, golf, and guitar playing. My wife understands that my car hobby (addiction) and fishing are a lot better then my other *hobbies* . I dont play out with my guitar any more as I tend to wind up in *situations* or not remembering where I am drunk.gif .

She has her hobby (skiing) and it's taken us some time to find a healthy balance between all the hobbies and our relationship but we're managing. Of course if she ever finds out how much I've really spent on car parts, fishing equipment or golf clubs I might be in trouble...
Michael N
So I bought my wife "her" 914 and she loves it. I never get any grief for parts and make a point to be sure her car is always drivable and in nicer shape than mine. I have hinted about selling "her" car and get an absolute "not a chance in hell" from her. I guess there will always be a 914 in the garage and I "must" buy parts to keep it going for "her". No expense spared for "her" car. Did I mention I get the leftover parts as needed. sunglasses.gif
wobbletop
My wife bought me the 914 for our 10th anniversary. piratenanner.gif
raw1298
My wife loves the fact that I do something with my time besides working long hours, or playing music in the bar scene. Maybe she is hoping she will get to drive it when I finish it. Not a snowballs chance!
jimkelly
they are a money pit either way - but - less of a money pit if you ( restore it/repair it ) it right the first time. jim
Porschef
The wife thinks it's great- doesn't mind me spending time or money on it.

Tough if she did..... lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.