Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
My oil temp gauge stays at about 70% is that normal? i also have an engine temp on spark plug # 3 it stays at 350...

this is about a 75 miles drive, mostly going uphill, the waeter is 50 degrees
Ian Stott
I think your temperature gauge is reading a bit high, check your engine tin seals and the grommets that go through the engine tin, get that all sealed the way it should be and and check your timing if your temps are still the same on the gauge chime in here again and the engine guru's will have better advice than me.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
914itis
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Mar 13 2011, 08:53 PM) *

I think your temperature gauge is reading a bit high, check your engine tin seals and the grommets that go through the engine tin, get that all sealed the way it should be and and check your timing if your temps are still the same on the gauge chime in here again and the engine guru's will have better advice than me.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

keep in mind that it is the oil temperature.. and as soon as i made a stop, it goes down less than half. the engine runs great the whole time... the flaps were removed.
914itis
QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 13 2011, 10:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Mar 13 2011, 08:53 PM) *

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

keep in mind that it is the oil temperature.. and as soon as i made a stop, it goes down less than half. the engine runs great the whole time... the flaps were removed.

blink.gif
VaccaRabite
As soon as you stop (like at a light) your oil temps drop by 1/2?

Did I read that right?

Zach
914itis
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 14 2011, 09:49 AM) *

Did I read that right?

Zach

no, I stoped at a rest area for 10 minutes and when I start the car again it went back below the half.. as soon as I start driving it climbs back up slowly, but never pass the mark as shown in the picture.

unless I have it wired wrong. the wire that I connected is coming from the switch or sensor that is under the engine. I do noticed that there is another one right next to the dizzy...Please advise.
Ferg
QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 14 2011, 08:48 AM) *

Did I read that right?

Zach

no, I stoped at a rest area for 10 minutes and when I start the car again it went back below the half.. as soon as I start driving it climbs back up slowly, but never pass the mark as shown in the picture.

unless I have it wired wrong. the wire that I connected is coming from the switch or sensor that is under the engine. I do noticed that there is another one right next to the dizzy...Please advise.

If the gauge is reading correctly,you are too hot! If the needle is touching any part of the "P" on the word "temp" you are 240-250ish

This gauge correct?
Black22
I'm not sure any one of us can answer this correctly without knowing what oil temp. sender you have installed. If you have a 150C sender the temp is ok. If you have a 200C sender your too hot IIRC.
914itis
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 14 2011, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 14 2011, 08:48 AM) *

Did I read that right?

Zach

If the gauge is reading correctly,you are too hot! If the needle is touching any part of the "P" on the word "temp" you are 240-250ish

This gauge correct?

Michael, the needle stops between the M and The P, leaning on ythe P

what is considered normal temp?
914itis
QUOTE(Black22 @ Mar 14 2011, 01:41 PM) *

I'm not sure any one of us can answer this correctly without knowing what oil temp. sender you have installed. If you have a 150C sender the temp is ok. If you have a 200C sender your too hot IIRC.

I beleive that the oil temp sender is stock and is located under the engine..
Ferg
Only way to know for sure if gauge is reading correctly is to check it...

I've used this in the past and swear by it...

http://www.mainelycustombydesign.com/engin...s.html#dipstick

Once you pull over and check the dipstick gauge a few times, and relate it back to what the vdo gauge says, then you have clear idea of your operating temp.

Each car can be a bit different, but in my findings of at least 5 different 914's, between the M and P is 235ish and is to warm for me for everyday driving.

Ferg
VaccaRabite
I have a dipstick thermometer too. Highly suggest it.

Zach
Root_Werks
I'm not sure this has a quick and easy answer. It's been mentioned you should find out what sender you have on your engine. The difference of 50c is a lot on the gauge needle position.

There are also some really good threads on temp gauges, both console and combo style with information how to read the little numbers VDO puts way up in there.

Search the garage forum, you'll find a ton of great threads. I just did, too lazy to copy/paste them here.

biggrin.gif

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 13 2011, 07:43 PM) *

the flaps were removed???

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

I think we may have found one reason why your temps might read high. The flaps are supposed to be present to control the air flow through the cooling tin. If you remove the one on the right side of the motor, you remove the duct that forces air down through the cooler. This is a VERY VERY BAD IDEA.

Find some cooling flaps and install them. If you can, hook them up correctly to a thermostat! If you can't do that, at least fix them in the "maximum cooling" position.

--DD
SLITS
Dave, I hope he means the little aluminum flapper doors on the impeller housing.

If not ..... bite the bullet

Also, everyone seems keyed in on the oil temp issue ... his head temps are marvelous. I thought the beginning of the red band was about 230 degrees.
914itis
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 14 2011, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Mar 13 2011, 07:43 PM) *

the flaps were removed???

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

I think we may have found one reason why your temps might read high. The flaps are supposed to be present to control the air flow through the cooling tin. If you remove the one on the right side of the motor, you remove the duct that forces air down through the cooler. This is a VERY VERY BAD IDEA.

Find some cooling flaps and install them. If you can, hook them up correctly to a thermostat! If you can't do that, at least fix them in the "maximum cooling" position.

--DD

oo! oops! headbang.gif headbang.gif

ok I know that there is a lot of thread about this, can you tel me a simple way have this installed without the thermostat? by right side you mean passenger side by the oil cooler? should that side (passenger side) stay closed part open, or fully open to cool off the engine?
Dave_Darling
The following page has a drawing of the cooling flaps stuff:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/engi...oling_large.htm

The right side, the passenger's side, flap should be flopped down over the oil cooler. The bottom front of it will have a gap where the oil cooler's air goes; the flap will sit on the angled tabs on the sides of the cooler opening.

The flap on the left, driver's, side should flip upward, out of the way of the cooling air.

The spring on the cross-shaft should push the flaps into that position, if everything is hooked up correctly.

--DD
914itis
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 14 2011, 11:30 PM) *

The following page has a drawing of the cooling flaps stuff:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/engi...oling_large.htm

The right side, the passenger's side, flap should be flopped down over the oil cooler. The bottom front of it will have a gap where the oil cooler's air goes; the flap will sit on the angled tabs on the sides of the cooler opening.

The flap on the left, driver's, side should flip upward, out of the way of the cooling air.

The spring on the cross-shaft should push the flaps into that position, if everything is hooked up correctly.

--DD

Thanks
detoxcowboy
read this.. and you wil know what you need to know about 914 vdo gauges.. the gauges read as...

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VDOGauges.html
914itis
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Mar 15 2011, 03:10 AM) *

read this.. and you wil know what you need to know about 914 vdo gauges.. the gauges read as...

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VDOGauges.html

thanks, great article
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.