Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal Heating Parts (flappers, j-tubes, elbows, air-supplies, etc)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
I've had my heating tin on an off the car many times over the past 15+ years and the pieces now look like garbage. I've purchsed new flapper boxes and cables but something feels very wrong about attaching the old weathered parts to these new parts. Sooooooo...

Has anyone had success with high temp paint, powdercoating, or something else that might keep this tin from rusting out?

Thanks in advance.

-pt

ps - After a nearly 5yr hiatus from driving a 914, I'm almost back on the road. My car has been getting attention from Brad Mayeur since Thanksgiving and is almost ready to come home. A few more tweaks here and there then I'll get it in for paint. This has been a long time off!
Mikey914
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Mar 13 2011, 07:38 PM) *

I've had my heating tin on an off the car many times over the past 15+ years and the pieces now look like garbage. I've purchsed new flapper boxes and cables but something feels very wrong about attaching the old weathered parts to these new parts. Sooooooo...

Has anyone had success with high temp paint, powdercoating, or something else that might keep this tin from rusting out?

Thanks in advance.

-pt

ps - After a nearly 5yr hiatus from driving a 914, I'm almost back on the road. My car has been getting attention from Brad Mayeur since Thanksgiving and is almost ready to come home. A few more tweaks here and there then I'll get it in for paint. This has been a long time off!

POR makes a high temp silver paint you could try, I'd pass on the powder coating. The best you could do is have them plasma coated, I'm shure Brad can stear you in the right direction.
ptravnic
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 14 2011, 01:33 AM) *

POR makes a high temp silver paint you could try, I'd pass on the powder coating. The best you could do is have them plasma coated, I'm shure Brad can stear you in the right direction.

Thanks for the heads up.

I thought about POR-15 but wasn't sure how it would stand up to the twofold beating of heat and general undercarriage debris. Granted, this is never going to be a show car but I'd like to prevent any further deterioration of the handful of tin pieces that keep me from shivering in early spring and late fall driving.

I would think that someone in the northern half of the country would have come across this same dilemma. I'll ask Brad about it when I speak with him later this week.

tradisrad
I used high temp BBQ paint on mine and they are in great shape after 5 years or so.
Cap'n Krusty
POR 15, properly applied, stands up to abuse. The Cap'n
IronHillRestorations
A high temp ceramic coating like Jet Hot is perfect, but not cheap.
ptravnic
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Mar 14 2011, 09:52 AM) *

I used high temp BBQ paint on mine and they are in great shape after 5 years or so.

What type of prep work did you do? I'm thinking a wire brush on the end of a drill would prob clean it up but curious if you had to put anything in-between the bare metal and the high temp paint.

Thanks for the help, gents.

-pt
'73-914kid
QUOTE(9146986 @ Mar 14 2011, 10:23 AM) *

A high temp ceramic coating like Jet Hot is perfect, but not cheap.

Jet Hot coatings rust extremely fast. I would definetly not send heater tube parts to them to be coated.

Media blasting would probably be your best bet on removing the old paint/gunk, and it gives a nice rough surface for the paint to adhere to.
Dave_Darling
How can a ceramic rust?? Is the Jet Hot coating not actually ceramic??

--DD
DanT
bead blasted and then painted with dark grey high temp paint... smile.gif

immediately after media blast.
DanT
after paint

did this to all the heater tubes, heat exchangers and the muffler (done in grey instead of dark grey)
Have been on the car for nearly a year now, daily driven, with no problems
'73-914kid
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 14 2011, 04:08 PM) *

How can a ceramic rust?? Is the Jet Hot coating not actually ceramic??

--DD

From what we could gather about the JET-HOT coated headers and side-pipes on our Corvette, the coating they use is porous. It seemed to suck up any standing water/moisture, and then the moisture would eventually cause the steel underneath to rust. It was either applied poorly by the guys at JET-HOT, or the ceramic coating is not a very strong moisture barrier to the steel underneath.
DanT
before on heat exchangers and muffler
DanT
and after
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.