Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
recko911
I am looking for exhaust system for 2.0. I currently have the Monza exhaust with 4 tailpipes.
From your experience is this a good exhaust or is their anything out there that is better.
DanT
Stock, Triad or Bursch if you want to stay with stock heat exchangers...
Unless you want more sound, the stock muffler is pretty hard to beat.
Als914
Love my SS Borla, dual outlet system.

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(DanT @ Mar 13 2011, 09:21 PM) *

agree.gif

I love the sound of the Triad but stock is great. Personally hate the Monza.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Mar 13 2011, 09:26 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

I'll second that. If you want to drive your 914 a lot and not have to yell or have your ear drums hurt after a long drive. Stick as stock as possible. Most everything out there is loud.

I have a Bursch and hate it. Annoying.
azbill
I tried the Busch glass pack - to load, Triad -- expensive and to loud, a Turbo muffler with the Bursch collector pipes to loud but made great torque but to loud. Now I am using the Bursch (from the glass pack) collectors and a cheap "quite" muffler from a muffler shop. It works very well and I can hear myself think. There is a little less torque but OK.
jsayre914
I vote Bursch

Daily driver and love the sound. Not to loud. Great company too!

Make sure you blast it and coat it before the install. or it will turn to krap within 2 months.

Joseph
ChrisFoley
If you want it fairly quiet, with a small power gain, and aren't afraid to spend a few more dollars, we have the answer.

Prototype Pic:
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 14 2011, 10:07 AM) *

If you want it fairly quiet, with a small power gain, and aren't afraid to spend a few more dollars, we have the answer.

Prototype Pic:
Click to view attachment

Well, okay, this is really the way I'd go if you really want a good system. I retract my previous statement biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
Stock factory banana muffler is hard to beat for low db and decent performance.

Chris' new muffler looks very nice too!
zymurgist
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 14 2011, 12:07 PM) *

Prototype Pic:
Click to view attachment

pray.gif
DanT
Chris, can your muffler be made with the normal 2.0L flanges for attachment to the heat exchangers?
And what about exhaust pipe replacement....can it be placed in the center for a twin pipe effect? Or does that have an effect on the exhaust flow?
Dave_Darling
The real answer depends on a lot of things.

What do you mean by "best"? Quietest, loudest, most power, best looking, or some other criteria?

What do you mean by "exhaust"? To many of us, that includes everything after the cylinder head--headers, heat exchangers, collectors, mufflers, and so on.

For the most power, you need headers. You'll lose all semblance of heat, unless you get the Tangerine Racing headers and the heat exchanger add-on from them. They're works of art, but they cost more than I sold my running 1.8 car for...

For the quietest sound, stock is probably the way to go.

If Racer Chris says his new muffler makes better power than stock, I'd believe him with no doubts at all. I've never seen one of his new mufflers in person, so I cannot comment on how they sound or feel. But that guy sure knows 914s and exhaust systems!

--DD
KELTY360
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 14 2011, 07:53 AM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Mar 13 2011, 09:26 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

I'll second that. If you want to drive your 914 a lot and not have to yell or have your ear drums hurt after a long drive. Stick as stock as possible. Most everything out there is loud.

I have a Bursch and hate it. Annoying.

I like my Bursch. slap.gif Not too loud and has a nice 'song' for this old fart. smile.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(DanT @ Mar 14 2011, 01:13 PM) *

Chris, can your muffler be made with the normal 2.0L flanges for attachment to the heat exchangers?
And what about exhaust pipe replacement....can it be placed in the center for a twin pipe effect? Or does that have an effect on the exhaust flow?

From a marketing perspective it would certainly have made more sense to adapt the muffler to mate with the HE flanges.
I found that I couldn't do it and meet the primary criteria which determined the design:
1) Retain the heat exchangers.
2) Improve the performance with a raised (rather than lowered) rpm powerband.
3) Create a distinctive but not loud sound.
4) 100% stainless steel construction, with the components based on my other mufflers in order to control costs. The Tangerine 4 muffler is essentially two EVO II silencers built as one unit. It is also essentially the same as the EVO 6 silencer.

It would be possible to create a twin center outlet muffler with the same sound and performance in the same casing. The pipes would have to be rerouted to enter the center section and the sound absorbing material would have to be in the end sections.

Some facts which guided my design:
SSIs are plentiful, durable, and not expensive. Even without a booster fan they provide plenty of heat for cold weather driving and defogging.
Dual exhausts are popular but often have an unpleasant resonance at cruising rpm. Mine don't, by virtue of the unique internal design.
Stainless steel is popular because it can be polished and it lasts a long time.
Lots of people have or are building bigger engines but don't want to lose their heat, and don't want to spend $2700 for a high performance 4 cyl. header with heat.
While most people think that a 4-1 collector improves performance, that isn't necessarily true when already long primaries are increased in length by another 12 inches or so, not to mention the lack of equal length.
That may work to increase torque on a bus motor, but will not improve horsepower on a 6000 rpm lightweight sports car engine.
Keeping the 4 pipes as short and equal as possible, and dumping them individually into a large chamber is also a good way to improve performance potential.
The muffler space under a 914 is short and wide. I've already invented a unique way to effectively reduce sound levels while retaining high flow capacity, even at 6000+ rpm - within that crosswise rear space.
I thought about shortening the HE pipes a few inches to move the flanges forward as far as possible but decided against it for two reasons: increased cost of the additional work, and once they're modified they won't work with any other muffler product anyway.

BTW, starting one year ago, Tangerine mufflers are 100% cut, rolled, welded and polished in-house using .045" stainless sheet. The prototype shown was made with 6" od x .065" wall stainless tubing which is heavier and doesn't polish well at all.
jk76.914
Last spring, I replace the muffler on my Bursch with a walker. I'm very satisfied with it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=107274

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.