Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the largest thing you moved with
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jsayre914
I got a call last night from my wife. She bought a new coffee table and asked if I could pick it up for her. I said I am driving the 914 smile.gif She said "it will fit"

confused24.gif

So I get there and see the table. Solid Oak wooden table measures 30 inches wide by 50 inches long blink.gif

top off...

wattya know...

it fit! biggrin.gif

I drove 40 miles from Maryland to PA with a huge wooden table sticking 3 foot in the air balanced in the passenger seat cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Who's next

popcorn[1].gif
Andyrew
No pics??
SirAndy
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 14 2011, 09:50 AM) *
What is the largest thing you moved with your 914?

Me!

(But i did give Dr. Evil a ride once happy11.gif)
SirAndy
And a set of four 9" racing slicks on my way to the local AX. One in the front trunk and 3 on the passenger seat.

That was quite interesting ... biggrin.gif
flipb
I recently hauled my SS rocker panels to the powdercoater, but I did it in the DD. One of these.
IPB Image

I had to position them with one end in the passenger footwell and the other end wedged between the passenger headrest and the B-pillar, which put the end about 12" from the face of my 4 year old son, strapped into his back-seat car seat on the way to school. Made sure my wife didn't see that arrangement, and it was only for about 3 miles. But I thought about carrying them in the 914 instead, pointed skyward.
sww914
$600.00 worth of lunchmeat, cereal, roasted chickens, and toilet paper from Coscto.
With 3 people in the cockpit.
AZ914
5' Ficus tree
zymurgist
No teener story, but I did carry an 8 foot tall plum tree in the passenger seat of the Corvette. It was a short ride so I didn't even have to bungee it to the T-top bar.
pt_700
a couple of 8-10' tall trees in the passenger seat with the top off. stayed off the freeway, fortunately for those poor trees.

on another trip, a 37" tube tv (remember tubes?).

500 lbs. of landscaping rock. maintained good weight balance by using both trunks!

see the avatar, ha ha!
tommy914
Muffler from younger brother, 2000 Boxster S

Click to view attachment
Woody
A complete but unassembled 2.0. One case in the front trunk, other on the passenger floor, flywheel and clutch on passenger seat, and everything else in the rear trunk.
Andyrew
In my Audi Sedan i fit a queen size mattress in the back with the box spring on the roof. We were only driving down the street though...

In the honda i've fit 4 bikes in the back with the hatch closed smile.gif 2 of them the wheels were removed...

In the 914?
IPB Image

The clutch didnt like that one smile.gif
JRust
Going to one swap meet. I fit a total of 8 wheels. 4 with tires & 4 without. I think I had the 4 with tires up fron along with 2 without tires. the other 2 rims went in the front trunk. In the rear trunk I had 2 sets of heat exchangers along with a fair amount of smaller stuff.

Of course I didn't sell the wheels with the tires dry.gif . So I had to pack them back home in the 914. No to mention all the other crap I bought there. I think I had more in my 914 going home than I had brought to begin with.
gothspeed
Waay back when, in my first 914, I put a type 1 long block in the front trunk by only removing the spare ......... bonnet lid closed just fine smile.gif
KELTY360
I was at a garage sale and saw a fully assembled engine stand for sale. They wanted $20, I offered $10. Lady looked at the the car and said "I'll give it to you for $5 if you can fit it in there. I smiled, handed her the fin, walked over to some tools for sale and picked up a $2 Crescent wrench. Loosened the bottom bolt and it all came apart. The front trunk just swallowed it up. happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

This is pretty big also.

Click to view attachment
SLITS
A woman ..... ph34r.gif
Rand
Four tires, a spare seat and a few other misc parts.

Another time, a few 2x4s:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;#entry941981

A couple other threads you might enjoy:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=57093
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=75835
Sleepin
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 14 2011, 02:31 PM) *

A woman ..... ph34r.gif

av-943.gif

No fair! That is what I was going to say! lol-2.gif

Justinp71
A tilesaw... had the saw in the front trunk and the stand in the rear... also did the 4 slicks once, have to watch out for those quick right turns...lol.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Mar 14 2011, 11:03 AM) *

a couple of 8-10' tall trees in the passenger seat with the top off. stayed off the freeway, fortunately for those poor trees.

Me too, but I carried the (fake) trees at two different times!

I also carried a ~12-foot step ladder. To work at NASA. No second looks, they just waved me in, even with the big ol' ladder sticking up out of the cockpit.

A friend of mine was a cheerleader back in HS (before I knew her). Another one of the cheerleaders drove a 914; they used to drive around with six of them in the car. One in the driver's seat, one in the passenger seat, one in the middle "seat" location, and three across the roll bar.

--DD
Elliot Cannon
Three ten foot sections of plastic rain gutter.
bernbomb914
if I was Toast I would be cussing somebody
hot_shoe914
My fat ass and an 8ft Christmas tree while it was snowing. Having the Christmas tree I felt obligated to stop at Walgreens and purchase 1 Christmas tree ornament. It shined nicely under the lights.
okieflyr
This one turned out to only be a test run. driving.gif We sold the trailer before I got use the 914 for a real trip.....

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Mar 14 2011, 06:21 PM) *
This one turned out to only be a test run. driving.gif We sold the trailer before I got use the 914 for a real trip.....

thumb3d.gif
DBCooper
I moved a Mustang Cobra owner to tears. That count?
Bruce Hinds
this worked pretty well!
Click to view attachment
Drums66
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Mar 15 2011, 12:58 PM) *

this worked pretty well!
Click to view attachment

WOW.....what a COOL ride!!! idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif smoke.gif flag.gif
carr914
Multiple Engines, Trannies, Kayaks, Bicycles, Lumber, Camping equipment

Click to view attachment
wertygrog
I once carried 8 tires (4 with rims) as someone else mentioned. Also used my 914 to help move from FL to CA. Check out the pics. biggrin.gif

Handy tip: you can fit way more in the 914 by taking out the passenger seat! biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 14 2011, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 14 2011, 09:50 AM) *
What is the largest thing you moved with your 914?

Me!

(But i did give Dr. Evil a ride once happy11.gif)

Dick!

Not 914, but when I worked at Home Depot one Christmas, I rode my motorcycle home with a 6' Christmas tree strapped across the back smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 14 2011, 10:19 AM) *
And a set of four 9" racing slicks on my way to the local AX. One in the front trunk and 3 on the passenger seat.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif
DBCooper
Jeez Andy, didn't even brush them off?

Christmas tree, huh Evil? In college I rode my BSA Victor home from the thrift store with a small kitchen table sitting on top of the tank and handlebars. Like I'd sat down for lunch. Aluminum tank, too.
SirAndy
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 15 2011, 07:16 PM) *
Jeez Andy, didn't even brush them off?

A brush won't get them pebbles off ... Once the rubber cools down, they are embedded for good.

I had some luck getting them out by scraping the cold tire with a large angle iron, but it's tedious work.

The next time you get the tires hot, the pebbles will come off by themselves ...
driving.gif
sixnotfour
beer.gif
fastfingers
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Mar 14 2011, 10:21 AM) *

Muffler from younger brother, 2000 Boxster S

Click to view attachment

Beautiful car. I like those red calipers.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 14 2011, 11:29 AM) *

IPB Image

I used to do something like the above & Dave Darling's cheerleader gal-buds - except it was only 5 - INSIDE the cockpit - with L-R: me-gal-buddy & 2 gals on the middle & right laps ( sad.gif dang steering wheel cheated me!), the we'd drive through the In-n-Out drive through backwards & order food!

I guess that made it an Out-n-In in that case! happy11.gif

I also used to pull off the quick release front wheel off my 10-speed & put the whole bike in the rear trunk & travel bags up front for 2, as well as full camp gear & bags for 2 in F+R trunks (tent, propane stove, cooler, etc.) - not huge size, but definitely a "packing puzzle" to get it all in & both trunks closed tight!
Tom_T
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Mar 15 2011, 11:58 AM) *

this worked pretty well!
Click to view attachment

Bruce, just keep the top on, roll up the windows, turn the rubber yacht over, then flip the 914 into the water & float away! biggrin.gif
913B
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 14 2011, 12:29 PM) *

In my Audi Sedan i fit a queen size mattress in the back with the box spring on the roof. We were only driving down the street though...

In the honda i've fit 4 bikes in the back with the hatch closed smile.gif 2 of them the wheels were removed...

In the 914?
IPB Image

The clutch didnt like that one smile.gif

Sorry for the slight hi-jack.

What size of wheels are those with that fat shiny lip. 15x7 ? Offset ? Tire size.
Whats the recipe for that look. Man they look nice. drooley.gif
jsayre914
WINNER!!!!

My wife asked me to stop by walmart and pick up some outdoor furniture after work. She said they had it on reserve with my name on it till 10pm.

I said i had the 914, she said it would be no problem smile.gif

I head for the lawn and garden section where i see no box waiting for me. I get the manager and she calls for 4 guys and a skyjack to meet me in the lawn and garden section. They proceed to bring down a box that is almost as big as my car. Its a 5 pc patio set with coffee table and all blink.gif This box must be 4 foot X 4 foot X 7 foot. WTF.gif

Then the best part.... it said box 1 of 2 idea.gif

So the guys tell me to pull my truck around and they will bring it out front. When I told them i had a Porsche 914, nobody believed me. I insisted I was not jocking, and mabey i could come back for 1 box. All 4 guys came out front to see, and then another 5 or 6 people gatherd to see me try and fit a 5pc set into a 914 @ walmart around 10:30pm

I FIT THE WHOLE FREEKIN SET!!! and left the empty boxes on the curb for the audience. Mabey I will make it to the people of walmart

IronHillRestorations
A Peavey Encore 65 (single 12") guitar amp and gig bag with mic cords, speaker cords, and mics in the front trunk with the spare removed, a vocal monitor with a 12" and horn, 2 guitars in the passenger area, a Peavey XR1200 stereo powered mixing board, and five mic stands (bases removed) in the back trunk and the roof would still fit but the rear trunk lid couldn't close.

I gambled and didn't carry the spare, but never had a flat going to or from a gig.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Apr 21 2011, 12:35 PM) *

WINNER!!!!

My wife asked me to stop by walmart and pick up some outdoor furniture after work. She said they had it on reserve with my name on it till 10pm.

I said i had the 914, she said it would be no problem smile.gif

I head for the lawn and garden section where i see no box waiting for me. I get the manager and she calls for 4 guys and a skyjack to meet me in the lawn and garden section. They proceed to bring down a box that is almost as big as my car. Its a 5 pc patio set with coffee table and all blink.gif This box must be 4 foot X 4 foot X 7 foot. WTF.gif

Then the best part.... it said box 1 of 2 idea.gif

So the guys tell me to pull my truck around and they will bring it out front. When I told them i had a Porsche 914, nobody believed me. I insisted I was not jocking, and mabey i could come back for 1 box. All 4 guys came out front to see, and then another 5 or 6 people gatherd to see me try and fit a 5pc set into a 914 @ walmart around 10:30pm

I FIT THE WHOLE FREEKIN SET!!! and left the empty boxes on the curb for the audience. Mabey I will make it to the people of walmart

Dang, all that AND it was foggy poke.gif smoke.gif
dflesburg
your mom.
jsayre914
I got a few comments about my pickup truck. smile.gif
Yes that is 12pcs 2X4X8 some liquid nails, misc hardware and some bungees biggrin.gif
orthobiz
8 ft light bulbs.

IPB Image

Paul
carr914
Click to view attachment
euro911
I need to drive up to Lake Stevens Washington to pick up a Honda Mini Trail 50 bike ... was thinking about taking out the passenger seat out of the 'BB' confused24.gif
jsayre914
UPDATE

cheer.gif
Johny Blackstain
A 10' scotch pine tree in the front trunk w/ a big, heavy, burlap wrapped root ball that dented the right wheel well inside the trunk. Only drove it 8 miles that way, thank god blink.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Apr 21 2011, 11:33 AM) *

your mom.

This is still funny...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.