Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 vs 914-6 throttle cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomeric914
I searched but could not find...

What (besides price) is the difference between the 914-4 and 914-6 throttle cables? Is one longer than the other? If so, by how much?

thanks!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Mar 14 2011, 08:56 PM) *

I searched but could not find...

What (besides price) is the difference between the 914-4 and 914-6 throttle cables? Is one longer than the other? If so, by how much?

thanks!

I forget which is actuall\ly longer but they are a different length. The -6 cable is designed to connect to a bellcrank linkage mounted on the transmission instead of directly on the throttle body or crossbar llinkage.
I typically use a -4 cable when converting to a six, rather than acquiring the special -6 linkage components.
patssle
I typically use a -4 cable when converting to a six,

How so? On carbs or FI, or both?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 14 2011, 09:20 PM) *

I typically use a -4 cable when converting to a six,

How so? On carbs or FI, or both?

I do it that way because the -4 cables are plentiful and if an emergency arose, requiring a replacement, any 914 owner or shop would have the needed part.
Its different for each engine/induction combo, and takes some time and fabrication skill.
For carbs, the factory setup is definitely the easiest.
Our most recent was a 3.2 with factory injection. We revised all the intake plumbing in order to retain the factory airbox instead of converting to a cone air filter. We rotated the TB 180 deg. (which was no small feat) and made a custom cable mount on the engine, and modified the arm that connects to the throttle shaft on the TB.
We did something similar on the 3.6 we did a couple years ago, but the intake is totally different, so the specifics have little similarity in appearance.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 14 2011, 09:17 PM) *

I typically use a -4 cable when converting to a six, rather than acquiring the special -6 linkage components.

I agree. I'm trying to skip the bellcrank and go direct to a bracket I made on the engine. I'll give TerryCable a call tomorrow and see if they can build a custom length cable.
patssle
For carbs, the factory setup is definitely the easiest.

Do you have a picture of that setup? That would be interesting to see. I'd love to bypass the trans modification and extra parts, more money saved for when I do my /6 with carbs conversion.
ChrisFoley
I recall using a stock -4 cable when I did a 2.7 with carbs.
I ran it under the engine and up through the rear engine tin. It required a custom bracket to support the cable sheath right near the tin.
I didn't take a picture of that setup, done in 2002 IIRC.
McMark
The /4 cable is longer and has a smooth endpiece.
The /6 cable is shorter and has a threaded endpiece.

Terry Cable will make custom length cables. Make sure you have your measurements ready when you call and you can order over the phone.
ChrisFoley
The advantage of the threaded endpiece is that a balljoint connector is used.
tomeric914
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 14 2011, 11:55 PM) *

The /4 cable is longer and has a smooth endpiece.
The /6 cable is shorter and has a threaded endpiece.

Thanks McMark.

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 15 2011, 08:44 AM) *

The advantage of the threaded endpiece is that a balljoint connector is used.

Yep, exactly my plan!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.