Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing a /6 oil tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
Like everyone I hate to admit when I make a huge mistake but if you didn't read the Excellence article about this you should now.....

When I installed the oil filter console on my tank, I inadvertently rotated it when I bent over the car and installed the console one hole off. This blocks the return hole and caused me to blow up a $500.00 cooler since oil could not return to the tank. The holes have to line up. (cooler or not)

Since there is a lot of activity on oil tank purchases I thought it fair to warn people to make sure the holes line up between the filter console and the tank. Check twice or suffer a disaster! sad.gif It was my biggest mistake of the project.

In case you doubt this.....
Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
You're not the only one to do that. No, it wasn't me... yet.
J P Stein
It could get a lot worse than that. I hope he motor wasn't run for more than a few seconds.
Years back I made a plumbing mistake & blew my cooler also..... as I sat in the car watching the oil pressure drop to 0.......oops
6freak
I agree JP ...thats gonna cost ya sad.gif
stownsen914
Wow that really sucks, sorry to hear about it.

As JP said, you may be lucky if only the cooler got messed up. The pressure back-up that this would have caused could have done 2 really bad things:
1. Oil pressure goes to 0 if the tank empties and the feed side of your oil system runs dry before you realize the problem and shut down.
2. The pressure back up in the scavenge side of the oil system can cause hydraulic lock and ruin the oil pump.

Scott
PRS914-6
Just an FYI, this happened 2 years ago at assembly and all is well. Since the system was empty, it basically compressed the air in the empty lines between the scavenge pump and the tank but did blow some oil everywhere with it. What a mess!

The cooler was the weakest spot and went off like a gun. The engine never loss oil pressure. The whole thing was a 12 second episode with $500 tag.....

The good news: Oil lines tested and passed!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.