Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: '66 Mustang
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Any idea on the value of these? We have one sitting in the backyard, been there for about 10 years. The engine is sitting in the garage, it was rebuilt around the same time the car was put in the backyard. I'm not sure of the specifics on the rebuild, as it was rebuilt by my girlfriend's father who passed away. I do know that the engine and body match (It's a 289).

The body has surface rust in rear fender area and I doubt the brakes are close to functional, though the interior is in pretty good condition.

We have a neighbor offering us $1500 in cash for it, and we wouldn't mind seeing it go to them because they really love the car. Any Ford gurus have an idea on the value of the car and engine as-is?
johannes
If you want hi $ for this car, advertise it in Europe... They are going crazy at this time.
pktzygt
QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 15 2011, 05:42 AM) *

If you want hi $ for this car, advertise it in Europe... They are going crazy at this time.

I was looking into them about 2 years ago and assuming the car is structurally sound, I would guess it is worth about twice what he is offering at a minimum.
surfbus66
check out one of the vintage/classic mustang forums. It will give you a real good idea of what these are going for. I have a restored 67 and the prices have really gone up. Mustang also have their rust issues. The forum can point those out as well.
Sparky
Assuming the front frame rails arent rotted out and the cowl isnt totally swiss cheese then it should easily get, on the low side, $3000. Cutting a good deal to someone you know will take it and do it right is worth big karma points.
texag09
Seems fair for an offer I grew up around Mustangs (dad is a collector) has 2 Currently see picture of newest next to my 914, and the old one next to my 64 Fairlane (also 289).

If it was mine to sell I would advertise it at 2500 to 3k. Must remember its a coupe and one of the best selling cars in history so they are plenitfal and rust free on the west coast. 1500 seems fair fo the car not actually being for sale and you not having to go through the trouble of selling it.

One final Note: like the 914 it would be worth more as pats but that takes time to part it out and sell it.

IPB Image

IPB Image
texag09
Just looked at the pics agian is it a factory 4spd top loader?????

Is so that changes the value alittle.

If you need vin help send me the data plate in pm and I will decode it. (289 is normaly a A code if it is a K as the engine code and thats a factory 4spd do not sell it yet)

K = Rare and valuable (most likely you do not have a k code car but best to mention it before you sell)

Factory 4spd = slightly valuable.

Sorry I forgot to mention those in the first post.

jasons
QUOTE(texag09 @ Mar 15 2011, 05:27 AM) *

If you need vin help send me the data plate in pm and I will decode it. (289 is normaly a A code if it is a K as the engine code and thats a factory 4spd do not sell it yet)

Not to split hairs but isn't C code more common? IIRC, C code is 289 2V and A code is 289 4V.
Andyrew
Rebuild engine with interior like that? I dont care what old car it is, I wouldnt let it go for under 3k
BK911
QUOTE(jasons @ Mar 15 2011, 06:19 AM) *

QUOTE(texag09 @ Mar 15 2011, 05:27 AM) *

Not to split hairs but isn't C code more common? IIRC, C code is 289 2V and A code is 289 4V.

I agree, most likely a C code. A codes are fairly rare, but not as rare as a K code. I have been looking for a nice '65 or '66 driver so I am a little familar with market values. I have found several nice C codes under $10k. Recent restoration, rebuilt engines, etc... Personally I would not pay more than $1500 for your car.
KELTY360
The data plate on the driver's door will give a lot more information. There are two lines of stamped numbers; the top line gives basic info including VIN & engine, the bottom line tells details of trans, rear end, paint & trim, build date, etc. Those numbers will have a lot to say when determining price. Post those here and you can get some feedback.

Obviously, having the engine out and the car having been sitting for so long reduces the price. Makes it harder to evaluate condition. But, like 914s, the condition of the body is the most important element. The mechanical stuff is plentiful and reasonably priced.

Those black California plates are cool. Mustang enthusiasts love to find those.
Mike Bellis
I sold a mint condition 65 for $12K. 289, 4spd coupe. It placed 2nd in the stock catagory at a local show.
orange914
zach, where you been? hey mustangs are this family's thing, you want us to come by to look at it sometime to get a price idea for you?

by the way is that a 3 o 4 speed?

mike
underthetire
Sounds a little low to me. Wanna trade for a 914 ? biggrin.gif
Hammy
Thanks for the reply's everybody.

It's a 3 speed. The VIN is 6R07C179296. Its been sitting outside for 10 years, so I imagine its got some rust issues. The neighbor guy is a mechanic and seems pretty knowledgeable.

Mike- Was hoping you would reply. What do you think? We're probably going to sell it to the neighbor, as we'd like to see it go to somebody who really appreciates it.

I also forgot to mention the tranny is missing.
zymurgist
FWIW, Car Craft recently had an article about some guys who are reproducing Mustang body parts and using them to convert coupes into fastbacks and convertibles. So this should drive up the price of halfway decent coupes as donors.
orange914
QUOTE(Hammy @ Mar 15 2011, 10:13 AM) *

Mike- Was hoping you would reply. What do you think? We're probably going to sell it to the neighbor, as we'd like to see it go to somebody who really appreciates it.

$1500 sounds very fair and realistic, i'd go for it. if the engine matches you might get another $1k+ on ebay but it would be alot more work.

the numbers matching up on the 289 is a plus. if you can get the block, heads, intake, exhaust numbers and date codes off everything you can find i'll decode them for you.
Drums66
.....Done up!......their worth a hell of a lot!! idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif smoke.gif
bembry
QUOTE(Hammy @ Mar 15 2011, 11:13 AM) *

It's a 3 speed. The VIN is 6R07C179296. Its been sitting outside for 10 years, so I imagine its got some rust issues. The neighbor guy is a mechanic and seems pretty knowledgeable.

Thing is, when you say that it has some rust issues, unless this is a midwest, East Coast, or some other rusty place, it probably is pretty decent. Plus, pretty much everything is reproduced for early Mustangs anyway. It has CA black plates, possibly even the orig dealer frame. Is is a local Modesto car? Your rust and the rest of the country's rust are two different animals. This could be one sweet little car.
Hammy
QUOTE(bembry @ Mar 15 2011, 04:42 PM) *

Thing is, when you say that it has some rust issues, unless this is a midwest, East Coast, or some other rusty place, it probably is pretty decent. Plus, pretty much everything is reproduced for early Mustangs anyway. It has CA black plates, possibly even the orig dealer frame. Is is a local Modesto car? Your rust and the rest of the country's rust are two different animals. This could be one sweet little car.

It's an original CA car, originally from SoCal. The body really is pretty good, the rust I talk about is probably mostly surface rust. The neighbor knows it's a good car and good deal. The engine is probably fully rebuilt (knowing my gf's dad) and painted, just needs to install intake and exhaust to fire up. The best part is that he's just across the alley and a friend of ours, so we'll get to see him get it going, hopefully.
tscrihfield
[/quote]

It's an original CA car, originally from SoCal. The body really is pretty good, the rust I talk about is probably mostly surface rust. The neighbor knows it's a good car and good deal. The engine is probably fully rebuilt (knowing my gf's dad) and painted, just needs to install intake and exhaust to fire up. The best part is that he's just across the alley and a friend of ours, so we'll get to see him get it going, hopefully.
[/quote]

Okay just got out of Mustangs to get into 914's. My first car was a 65 stang, I have also had 2 66's and a 64 1/2. To touch a little on that car would be #1 Cali car no serious rust... +1 #2 that was an original 6 car 3 spd was not an option for a V8... you either got a fat shaft 4 speed or a small shaft 4 speed (both side loaders Topload wasn't avail until 67) or Auto (Shiftomatic). #3 That rebuilt 289 will fetch more than $1,000 by itself in worst case. #4 The interior seems to be intact... no idea on body but if it is as rust free as I would asume it is a $2-3,000 body. If it were a 2+2 or original Hi-po coupe you would have big big money but the VIN even states that it was a 6. I know that the folks have a passion for the car and all but a few posts out there for $3,000 obo would tell you by how fast calls would start coming in. My guess is that you could sell this as a project car on Racejunk.com or craigslist easy for double what the neighbors offer.

My $.02, none-the-less best of luck with the sell!

Thomas
r_towle
sell it to your neighbor, let it have a good life and feel good about selling it to a guy who wants it..
Dont worry about selling it for as much as you can possibly get...

See if he will go to 2k and then call it a deal.

Rich
914.SBC
QUOTE(Hammy @ Mar 15 2011, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Mar 15 2011, 04:42 PM) *

I have owned two 1st gen Mustangs and I have actually been looking for another project car. For 1500 (even with some rust) that is CHEAP. Just based on the pic it is a 3k car every day if not more.
Cairo94507
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2011, 07:54 PM) *

sell it to your neighbor, let it have a good life and feel good about selling it to a guy who wants it..

Rich

I agree with this 100%. Tell the neighbor $2K and feel good that you are doing a good thing for you, the car and the neighbor. Good luck.
Drums66
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 15 2011, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 15 2011, 07:54 PM) *

Rich

I agree with this 100%. Tell the neighbor $2K and feel good that you are doing a good thing for you, the car and the neighbor. Good luck.

Yeah....sell it to your neighbor...get reminded everytime you hear that sweet exhaust sound next door laugh.gif ( like to have a neighbor like you!!) poke.gif
bye1.gif smoke.gif
orange914
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Mar 15 2011, 06:50 PM) *

#2 that was an original 6 car 3 spd was not an option for a V8... you either got a fat shaft 4 speed or a small shaft 4 speed (both side loaders Topload wasn't avail until 67) or Auto (Shiftomatic). Thomas

i'm not trying to nit pick but the v-8 was offered with a 3 sp. it was a H.D. saginaw i believe and is highly unusual, maybe not desireable but unusual.

zach, can you post the door code?
Hammy

i'm not trying to nit pick but the v-8 was offered with a 3 sp. it was a H.D. saginaw i believe and is highly unusual, maybe not desireable but unusual.

vin 6R07c179296 body 65A Color M Trim 26 Date 31c DSO 72
orange914
QUOTE(Hammy @ Mar 16 2011, 07:07 PM) *

you should have the rear end and trans code on the door also.
Hammy
QUOTE(orange914 @ Mar 16 2011, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Hammy @ Mar 16 2011, 07:07 PM) *

you should have the rear end and trans code on the door also.

I feel like I remember them being blank, maybe just hard to read. i'll check them in the daylight.
orange914
so far:

built and sold in san jose, std. coupe, 289 2v, wimbleton white, black vinyl and rosette vinyl interior,buil march 31, 1966
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.