Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing windshield to dash bottom seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Pincetich
I am rustoring the interior of my 914. The new dash top (used) looks great, my old vinyl on the dash to the window looks great. That seal in between the dash vinyl and the windshield is all cracked and I want to improve on it.

Can I replace this seal without removing the windshield??
How hard is it to do? Tips and tricks??

smile.gif
beerchug.gif

PS. all my searches on this question result in posts about the upper windshield seal, not this lower one.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 15 2011, 09:21 AM) *

I am rustoring the interior of my 914. The new dash top (used) looks great, my old vinyl on the dash to the window looks great. That seal in between the dash vinyl and the windshield is all cracked and I want to improve on it.

Can I replace this seal without removing the windshield??
How hard is it to do? Tips and tricks??

smile.gif
beerchug.gif

PS. all my searches on this question result in posts about the upper windshield seal, not this lower one.

Mikey914
Yes and no.
Here's the rub-
The OEM part has a metal clip in it. It makes it a pain in the butt to remove. It also makes it a pain to install, as you can't get the angle to press the cip back in place. I supose it you fought with it for hours it could be done, but the OEM is much easier once the windshiled is out.

That's why I made mine slightly different, so it could install with the windshield in.

It's also the one in my banner ad.

This is what I use to get the old one out
Mikey914
Cut the contour in the ends.
I cut it so it's about 1/4" longer than I think it should be nd install it "overcenter" so the tension helps hold it in.
Mikey914
Installed
736conver
That's why I made mine slightly different, so it could install with the windshield in.

Good thinkin
McMark
Mark, looks like you could use some new windshield chrome trim. I know I guy who is making them NEW! av-943.gif
Chris Pincetich
Yo yo Mikey Mark, you da man!
biggrin.gif
I think I should be on your "914 Part O' the Month Club" and just pay a flat fee and get the newest thing mailed to me automatically.

I will be ordering this windshield seal and some early inner door fuzzies very soon.
beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Thanks guys. I make the parts because I need them, and I figure if I do, there may be a few others in the same boat.

dion9146
I installed this trim recently, and it was easy and looks great. Great product!

Dion
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.