Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 96mm mahles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
earlyaircooled
I was at my local import parts store the other day and asked them about Mahle pistons and cylinders for a 2.0, 914 . They said that they can get 96mm, "big bore" Mahles. I have never heard of these, is there such a thing? If so are they good? what is the compression ratio?

underthetire
QUOTE(earlyaircooled @ Mar 15 2011, 09:26 AM) *

I was at my local import parts store the other day and asked them about Mahle pistons and cylinders for a 2.0, 914 . They said that they can get 96mm, "big bore" Mahles. I have never heard of these, is there such a thing? If so are they good? what is the compression ratio?

Mahle=good. Compression ratio depends on bus pistons or flat tops. And heads, deck height, etc..
earlyaircooled
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 15 2011, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(earlyaircooled @ Mar 15 2011, 09:26 AM) *

Mahle=good. Compression ratio depends on bus pistons or flat tops. And heads, deck height, etc..

I know Mahles = good I'm just surprised to learn that Mahle made a "big bore" 96mm. If that is the case and the price is very reasonable by the way, why are guys using AA pistons or having cylinders bored and using Keith Black pistons when they can get Mahles. Also I've searched this forum and I cant find info and I've never seen 96mm Mahles mentioned.
914Sixer
Never seen or heard of big bore Mahles in the last 25 yrs. If they are that plentiful and cost effective everybody would have been all over them.
DanT
you can have Mahle Cylinders bored out to 96mm and use an aftermarket piston such as JE or KB but I have never heard of a Mahle 96mm piston.
As stated, everyone would be using them if they were available. smile.gif
Jake Raby
Nope..
Even if they were they wouldn't be for long.. Mahle is no longer concerned with aircooled P/C kits.
sean_v8_914
Jake: what do you think of the old NPRs? they look to be built like Panzer pistons, heavy, flat top. I just found a set in a box, new with NPR rings too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.