Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPI request - Janesville WI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scott_in_nh
If you in the area and can take a look at the operational condition of the car that would be great - PM me

Thanks,

Scott
scott_in_nh
Hereis a picture...

scott_in_nh
couple more...
Sleepin
Send a PM to ottox914.... he is in Northern Wisconsin...a ways away, but he may know someone closer.
scott_in_nh
Thanks, I check with him - I don't want to ask anybody travel a long ways.
If nobody is in the area I will just have to make a decision based on what I know.
jmill
You get anyone? I'm East of there in Racine. You can also call on Brad - 914ltd. I think he's South a bit in Illinois.

I would be very hesitant to buy a Midwest car without a PPI. They salt the roads heavily up here. I bought one here just for parts. It was beyond rusty. I imported one from Az.
rick 918-S
Hell hole looks amazingly good for a midwest car. That's good. My concern would be when was the last time the brakes were rebuilt. These calipers are prone to sticking when a car sits too long. If they stick when your in route home that could suck. I've disassembled calipers in a parts store parking lot before and cleaned varnish off a piston to keep driving. Chit happens confused24.gif Good luck with the road trip. I love em! driving.gif

There should be a few guys along your route if you get in a pickle.
scott_in_nh
No one yet, but I haven't sent out any PM's either.
The owner is a 356 nut, has owned 3 914's including a 6, 25 year PCA member.
He says no rust and sounds like a stand up guy.
He is also taking more pictures for me (back of the rear trunk, floors from underneath), but here are a couple more that make me believe him so far.
The brakes are certainly part of the concern as I am not sure how often he drives this car. I will be sure to be specific about that during our next conversation.

db9146
Looks like a nice one!
scott_in_nh
doesn't it!? w00t.gif
skota
give me a call, I might be able to help you out, but if you want someone who really know's what to look for, contact lee's auto in Madison.
608 772-1428
scott_in_nh
Thanks I'll give you a call.
I am back to leaning toward shipping it, as much because I really don't have the time as anything else.
So I mostly want somebody to look it over for rust and maybe drive it around the block and report on how it starts, runs, shifts and stops.
13b914
Did the owner say anything about a repaint? You can see the wire harness in the front trunk is sprayed silver.
scott_in_nh
Yes he did tell me.
He did not have it repainted and has owned it for I think he said 3 years, so it is an older job.
The car came out of the SW so that is why it is not rusted.
scott_in_nh
Newest pictures are not as nice
scott_in_nh
and...
scott_in_nh
So far he has been firm at $6900 with a low mileage motor with 40's that is supposed to be very strong. Everything is supposed to work.
thoughts?
stugray
The sheet metal in the front trunk looks like the GT reinforcements....

Otherwise the car looks really good.
Are you gonna tell us the details, or are we to remain in suspense until you finish the deal :-)

Stu
skota
To me, the bottom looks pretty rusty. I'm going to the regional pca meeting tonight, I could ask and see if anyone know's the guy or the car.
jmill
It's not rust free. Need some better pictures. I might have time this weekend to look at it. PM me if you don't hire a pro. They will cost you some $ but they will do compression checks that I can't help you with. BTW $6900 seems high from what I see in the pictures.

scott_in_nh
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 16 2011, 04:58 PM) *

The sheet metal in the front trunk looks like the GT reinforcements....

Otherwise the car looks really good.
Are you gonna tell us the details, or are we to remain in suspense until you finish the deal :-)

Stu

Hey Stu,
Well I'm not going to give you his name and phone number!
But, from the owner:

"1973 914 porsche 2.0L silver black alloys 105,000 miles
Engine is 2.0 L freshly rebuilt last year with maybe 1,000 miles at most. Dual weber carbs, side shift 5 speed"

Not an original 2.0, non orignal seats hidden with covers (no likey - they always look oversized in a 914), and what you see.
What's it worth? Everybody seems to lose a little or a lot on these cars - that's the hobby - I expect to as well, but for some reason he feels he should get what he has into it $6900.

rick 918-S
I added an Arrow. Is this the bottom of the jack post plate? Looks like the edge of a rust hole but I can't be sure. The camera is just barely out of place to tell.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
G e o r g e
Rick pointed out what I was thinking, need to get the rockers off. then take more pics
scott_in_nh
It's not rust free. Need some better pictures. I might have time this weekend to look at it. PM me if you don't hire a pro. They will cost you some $ but they will do compression checks that I can't help you with. BTW $6900 seems high from what I see in the pictures.

Thanks John,

these pictures just arrived today 'rust free" was what the owner said.
He must of meant that the "rust it comes with is free" as it obviously has rust!

I am going to talk to him shortly and will ask how he feels about removing the rockers and having you pay a visit.
I don't need a pro as I am less worried about the motor.
If it runs good, doesn't smoke and makes the power it should I'm ok with it.

Thanks for the sharp eyes everyone!

In my budget I am not expecting perfection, but I do want a solid car that is going to stay solid for awhile and one whose condition is properly reflected in the price.
Four months into the search and zippo......
736conver
Scott,

I am about 45 minutes away. I can do a PPI but not until Monday or Tuesday next week.
Cheapsnake
For a midwest car, it's probably above average, but at $6900 you could find better selection on the west coast. Now THAT'S a road trip. piratenanner.gif

Tom
scott_in_nh
I agree with what everyone is saying.

I was willing to go to $6900 for an essentially rust free car with no patch panels, as suggested by the photos from the top and the excellent hell hole.

This car is neither and if it is still of interest to me after a PPI I will make my offer accordingly.

I sent the owner the photos with the arrows and asked if he would be willing to take the rockers off and let somebody local look at it for me.
Here is his response:

"I don't have a problem with any of the things you commented on. Just let me know what and when you know something, so that I can react."

I take that to mean that he is willing to take the rockers off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.