Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runnings lights on with switch off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RustyWa
I came out of the store this afternoon and noticed that the running lights on the left side of my car were on. Checked the switch and it was off....hmm.

I had the lights on before I ran into the store..so I cycled the switch a few times, but the lights stayed on. The right side of the car did worked normally. Signals on both sides worked fine too. I decided to pull the fuse on that side and drove home. Back in the garage, I put the fuse back in and everything was working again...

Is this signs of the switch going bad??
campbellcj
Did ya by any chance have your turn signal on? wink.gif
MarkV
Like Chris said, if you activate turn signal w/ key off it will light parking lights on that side. Nifty 70's parking safety lights ?? flag.gif
Curvie Roadlover
Yup, check the turn signal. I've seen that before with my car. Shut it off with a turn signal on and that side's running lights stay on.
RustyWa
Chris, at first I thought you were being a smart ass. biggrin.gif

But come to think of it, I did make a left turn into the parking lot and continued turning left until I stopped in the parking spot.

I'll take a look at that tomorrow. Thanks!!
seanery
I think that was done because some countries in europe used to (still do?) make you put your outside (street side) "parking" light on when the car is parked. I just found out that my 944 turbo does this I knew the old cars: my 35 6 & 914 did it. So, at least in '86 it was still done somewhere.
campbellcj
Several of the German cars I've owned were wired this way. I'm not sure if it was a requirement in Europe or just an optional "safety feature" of the cars to help them avoid getting hit while parked on the side of the road.
SirAndy
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 13 2003, 09:05 AM)
Several of the German cars I've owned were wired this way.  I'm not sure if it was a requirement in Europe or just an optional "safety feature" of the cars to help them avoid getting hit while parked on the side of the road.

we don't have sidemarkes in germany.
we use the blinkers or headlights as "parking-lights".
turn off the car and move the blinker either right or left and that side will light up.
normally, that would be the headlights. but because they're not visible,
the 914 came with the "euro" lenses, which had a white parking light.
here in the US you have the side-markers instead ...

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.