Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: window frames
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
It's getting to the shorter strokes. I have a bunch of rubber from Mark, need to get things/windows together.

Of course, window frames are scratched etc.
Any recommendations on how to refinish them...are they true chrome...or anodized, or some other product.

If chrome, I can just disassemble and ship them to the local chrome shop. If anodized, or something else, I may be in a bit of trouble re resources.

Thanks
McMark
Guess who's making NEW ones? Yup, Rubber Mark.
porbmw
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 16 2011, 12:46 PM) *

Guess who's making NEW ones? Yup, Rubber Mark.

Are you SERIOUS? piratenanner.gif

That would be way too easy.... biggrin.gif

I just went on his site to see if anything like that is listed (I bought the rubber inserts for the frames, but they now make my frames look shabby), didn't see frames, but will give him a quick shout, and if they are available, will confirm to the World.

Would sure make my day!
McMark
Thread here.
porbmw
Sorry, probably wasn't clear on my post.

I am looking at cruddy SIDE window frames....the chrome or anodized steel bars that bolt into the door, hold the door glass in place, and on the opposite side hold the vent glass.

(Un)fortunately, I bought a set of the 3 piece windshield trim long ago...at a much higher price than Mark is now selling his trim.

"Fraid I"m still asking for advice on how to refinish the ratty things.

Kind of think Mark has a lot of projects on the go, don't think we'll see these from him for a while yet dry.gif

computers4kids
First of all the window frames are annodized. However, you can take your frames to a chrome shop and they can strip them and put a high polish on them which looks like chrome. The chrome guy said I may have to touch them up with some metal polish once in a while, but mine still look new two years later. You can always have them annodized, but that's a whole nuther story.
whatabout1
They are anodized alum. You can polish the old off and buff to perfection.
Then re-anodize. Rmember everything shows thru anodizing.

Another route would be to powder coat with silver or chrome. There is a shop
around here that powder coats the NASCAR wheels and you can't tell it's not
real chrome. A friend is having his NLA rub rail (boat) done to aliminum color.

Mikey914
You will need to strip then polish them but they can be re anodized.
porbmw
Thanks for the replies.

Was afraid they were anodized....
Two questions....

a)stripping them down....suggested process...are we talking very fine grit sandpaper...if so, any idea of what the grit sweet spot ....do you start rough, and go in fine...(alright, save "those" comments for the sandbox dry.gif ) and

b)any suggestions of shops/persons on the Wet Coast...hopefully not as far down as Calif.... I am in Vancouver, B.C....and so far, not too impressed with items I've sent here for resto...

Thanks all
Mikey914
I actually am. The metal is set to be extruded in about 8 days, the following week I'll be processing these as they are actually a process of heating and stretching onto the die. This required me to sand the imperfections out, and buff prior anodizing. So yes they will be ready ion abotu 3-4 weeks. I am subbing out the labor for the forming and polishing as it's too much for me to take on (at about $20 a set, not bad), buit they are in the works as we speak.

To answer your question on stripping, it's a chemical process, I have heard of guys using oven cleaner (search wheel threads). If it is chemically stripped you will want to wetsand with 1000 grit and 2000 grit, then polish to a mirror finish. Then any anodizer should be able to do it.
porbmw
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 17 2011, 11:25 AM) *

I actually am. The metal is set to be extruded in about 8 days, the following week I'll be processing these as they are actually a process of heating and stretching onto the die. This required me to sand the imperfections out, and buff prior anodizing. So yes they will be ready ion abotu 3-4 weeks. I am subbing out the labor for the forming and polishing as it's too much for me to take on (at about $20 a set, not bad), buit they are in the works as we speak.

To answer your question on stripping, it's a chemical process, I have heard of guys using oven cleaner (search wheel threads). If it is chemically stripped you will want to wetsand with 1000 grit and 2000 grit, then polish to a mirror finish. Then any anodizer should be able to do it.

Geez, Mark....where do you find the time?!

I am lousy at reading posts...but I am reading that you are MAKING them from scratch?????
If so, wunderbar!

And in that case, I"m going to cool my heels a while....an excuse to do yardwork.

Perhaps I'll hunt around for info re the stripping and give it a shot...perhaps start with an extra frame....but ....

BTW
Did the frames change in about 72 or 73, when the door glass changed...or can I cheat and use a later pair. I need 2 early sets, but the other car has them mounted, is in storage and inaccessible.....

I'm going to guess they changed dry.gif

Thanks to all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.