Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 starting problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joe15701
I had some questions was wondering if all you could help me or steer me in the right directions,, I had recently bought a 1974 porsche 914 with 1.8. it had been sitting since 2004 not started or ran.. when I bought the car I was told it needed a fuel pump and it didnt have spark.. So I changed the fuel pump and put new points in the car.. when changing the points I noticed who ever had the car, before me, was filtering the gas after it was returning to the tank.. not good. So I had also changed all the rubber gas lines on the car and changed the fuel injectors. The car will start now but shuts off right after it starts.. So I changed out the panel box, because it was getting wet. and bought one with the cover so it wont get wet... But the car is still starting and shutting right back off. Im currently waiting on two parts.. from ebay, the resistor ballast,,, and the double relay located near the battery, i guess is for the fuel injectors and the fuel pump.. For one.. what is the resistor ballast for? Also if this doesnt solve my problem what should I try next... I the old injectors were plugged so I assumed that would be the problem. but still it starts up sputters then shuts off.. The resistor ballast that was in the car. was rusted pretty badly, and the double relay looked to be in poor shape as well.. The car looks really good I think, *not as good as some of yours, But its all original still and trying to keep it that way. Im thinking maybe changing the fuel pressure regulator next, but I dont wanna end up changing, these parts then stuck in a stand still, really wanna get this car going.. Im liked hooked on the 914's and I havent even drove it yet.. its already insured and registered ready to go.. please help thanks everyone..
underthetire
I'm no Ljet guy, but it sounds like the flapper door in the airbox is not working correctly.
Jeffs9146
Could be the fuel pump is still not working! Maybe the relay is fireing when you turn the key on giving the injectors a squirt and the pump stops when the key is turned to "start" or the injector trigger in the dizy is stuck!

Drums66
.....could be the resistor pack or the double relay or the .......... idea.gif poke.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif smoke.gif
dlee6204
Sounds like your dual relay might not be fully working. Here is a way to test it...

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=235816

It could also be some other things but this is a good place to start.
joe15701
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 16 2011, 02:19 PM) *

Sounds like your dual relay might not be fully working. Here is a way to test it...

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=235816

It could also be some other things but this is a good place to start.

i thought there was a way to test the relays, im going to try that in the next several minutes. the relay that was in the car looks to be the original 36 year old relay.. thanks for letting me know how to test that relay, i hope i find its bad.. because the fuel pump is bran new injectors are new, as well as fuel lines and everything else, and this relay, serves allot of purposes thanks allot.. for this info
dlee6204
Also here is another link which goes into detail how the dual relay works. Good luck and let us know what you find!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3495357
joe15701
The relay did click on all the tests. but i still have a new one coming here in the next couple days, so i am still going to change it out. and the ballast, also going to check on that ground wire, mentioned in that post for the relay,, so will see what i find out this friday, when i tear into her again, its just sad hearing it start up then shut off, someone let her sit since 04 but will be bringing it back to life soon. what is the ballast for,
Black22
My '74 1.8L does this same thing when i forget to plug in the AFM to the FI harness after I remove the air box. Check your contacts on that connector too as well as the whole FI harness.
When my dual relay has gone out, the car would only start once. It will run until out of fuel and then just turn over and never fire back up.
silver74insocal
if you disconnect the starter, you can simulate ignition by turning the key to the crank position and leaving it on, then go back to the engine and reach into the throttle body (with the air box removed) and actuate the valve by hand. you should hear the fuel pump start whirring away. if it does, your pump and AFM are working.

i cant tell you exactly how the resistor pack works but i know your injectors wont work without it. also check your grounds in the heckhole (under the relay board)
WE NEED THE CRUSTY ONE!!
Dave_Darling
The "ballast" is a pack of four resistors; that's why people often call it the resistor pack. It helps drop the voltage and the current that go to the injectors to something that they can deal with. It's just one resistor in between the power supply (from the dual relay) and each injector.

Before replacing injectors, fuel pumps, pressure regulators, and so on, I strongly suggest you test those parts. No sense replacing stuff that is working fine...

--DD
Tom
Sure sounds like a fuel issue. I would put a pressure gage on the fuel line to monitor the pressure. If pressure is falling too low, then you know the fuel pump circuit is not working correctly and you can go from there to find out what is causing the fuel pump to stop.
Don't know any more about L-jet. You might PM Dan Roots, ROOT WORKS on here, he is very knowledgeable on L-jet.
Tom
Cap'n Krusty
People who would like a PDF of the VW factory L-Jetronic troubleshooting manual should send me an e-mail to <trannysocket@gmail.com>. Include an e-mail return address capable of receiving a 16MB attachment. Each recipient gets one shot at it. If it's rejected, it's your problem. I don't have time for repeated tries at getting you a free document.

The Cap'n
zonedoubt
Also check plug connectors. In my case, some of the small terminals in the AFM harness plug were not making a good connection.
joe15701
changed the double relay, and the resistors. still nothing, but since then car just turns over and doesnt fire unless starting fluid used, but then it just shuts off anyhow.

so far changed the fuel pump / double relay,, relay panel and all those relays.. seat belt relay is bipassed.. changed the fuel injectors. changed all the fuel lines, from the new fuel pump up to the motor. changed the points and condenser.

checked all the ground wires. unhooked the fuel line before the pressure regulator and fuel is passing.. have yet to check the pressure i need to purchase a fuel pressure gauge. but seems to be good gas pressure..

so i know gas is passing thru motor, its getting spark.

im gonna check the injector connection plugs and see what voltage im getting at those, its weird it was starting now its not with out starting fluid..

im starting to get confused and running out of options to try, i would like to get the car running but, its looking like she is gonna be sent to the bone yard sad.gif or parted out,, always dreamed of having one of these cars now i got one and cant run it.

Cap'n Krusty
Well, if you took advantage of my generous FREE offer for the factory troubleshooting guide instead of throwing parts (and money, I might add) at it, you might have a clue what's wrong with it.

It's tough trying to help someone who has made his mind up ............

The Cap'n
joe15701
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 18 2011, 10:09 AM) *

Well, if you took advantage of my generous FREE offer for the factory troubleshooting guide instead of throwing parts (and money, I might add) at it, you might have a clue what's wrong with it.

It's tough trying to help someone who has made his mind up ............

The Cap'n

did you email it,, i sent email last night and didnt see it this morning let me check,, to see if it is there.
underthetire
You seem to be ignoring the several posts now about the flapper/AFM.
Cap'n Krusty
The request appeared in my inbox sometime in the last hour. The PDF has been sent. The Cap'n
Jeffs9146
I would check the Fuel Injector trigger points in your dizzy! It sounds like your Injectors are not fireing!
joe15701
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 18 2011, 12:36 PM) *

The request appeared in my inbox sometime in the last hour. The PDF has been sent. The Cap'n

downloading it now thanks allot really appreciate it..
joe15701
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 18 2011, 10:29 AM) *

im checking into that now, i seen the symptoms im having can be caused by this,, as well.. im looking into how to test it to see if it is working. do you know of a way, to check to see if the flapper is worker or if the unit itself works. I wasn't ignoring im taking this all in, i had received all the other parts. i was waiting on. so was hoping changing all of the other things, I would of stumbled apon the problem. sorry if i seemed as i was, im just learning a little here and there and running out to the car, and trying different things.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(joe15701 @ Mar 18 2011, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 18 2011, 10:29 AM) *

im checking into that now, i seen the symptoms im having can be caused by this,, as well.. im looking into how to test it to see if it is working. do you know of a way, to check to see if the flapper is worker or if the unit itself works. I wasn't ignoring im taking this all in, i had received all the other parts. i was waiting on. so was hoping changing all of the other things, I would of stumbled apon the problem. sorry if i seemed as i was, im just learning a little here and there and running out to the car, and trying different things.

see my first post...its the one with the zombie on the left bye1.gif

popcorn[1].gif
Dave_Darling
Are you getting fuel?

If not, is there a white (may have faded to kinda tan) wire hooked up to the (-) terminal on the coil? The FI needs the signal from the ignition points to know when to inject fuel. No signal, no fuel.

BTW, L-jet does not have "trigger points" in the distributor. That is D-jet.

--DD
Jeffs9146
L-jet does not have "trigger points" in the distributor

blink.gif guess I missed that class!! So where are the injectors triggered from?
Black22
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 18 2011, 11:29 AM) *

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.