Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Al Reed Polishing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So what does everyone typically ask for when bringing your Fuchs to Al. I was thinking of making a trip and wanted to ask whats a popular request to the Fuchs, oh and whats the ball park for each wheel. If you have a pic of the wheel to show off that would be nice too. My plan is just to have Al polish my Fuchs and paint the inside black like OE like everyone else. Is clear coating reccomended or not. Do they turn yellow or someting after a while.

Thanks All.
Ted
kconway
If you're going to his shop, he has lots of sample Fuch wheels in different finishes. He will tell you what he does most and explain the clearcoat issues. He has Fuch wheels with clear so you can see the difference in finish as well.

Try to get him on the phone first to be sure he will be there, otherwise your going to talk to his helper...or you can hang out in his "waiting room" next door for him to return. shades.gif drooley.gif

Kev
davesprinkle
Polish and clear powder. They'll look great and you'll never have to polish them again. My Mahle's are still clear and bright after six years and all I do is occasionally wash off the brake dust. 100 bux per wheel. I couldn't be happier.
DanT
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 16 2011, 07:14 PM) *

So what does everyone typically ask for when bringing your Fuchs to Al. I was thinking of making a trip and wanted to ask whats a popular request to the Fuchs, oh and whats the ball park for each wheel. If you have a pic of the wheel to show off that would be nice too. My plan is just to have Al polish my Fuchs and paint the inside black like OE like everyone else. Is clear coating reccomended or not. Do they turn yellow or someting after a while.

Thanks All.
Ted

black between the petals is not OE....All factory Fuchs came from the factory with anodized finish and shinier petals....and rim....NO black OE. That was all added by dealers back in the '70s trying to make them look like 5 lug Fuchs...
top pic is original finish
second pic is with pedals and rim hand polished
Or you can go full polish like the last pic.
913B
Oops sorry for confusion, I have a set of 14" fuch 5-lug. I hope it will like fine, instead of 15". I think they came on the 914-6.
DanT
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 16 2011, 08:10 PM) *

Oops sorry for confusion, I have a set of 14" fuch 5-lug. I hope it will like fine, instead of 15". I think they came on the 914-6.

OK those were black background with anodized petals and rim.... smile.gif
Here is a pic of some 6x14s with the petals polished along with the rim
AZ914
Al will do whatever you want (with the wheels) smile.gif

Figure out what you want, tell him, and see if he'll do it. I'm pretty sure he'll polish, anodize, do custom colors etc..

I paid 75 a wheel for polished lips/paddles with black background.. but that was some years ago. Rest assured, he does great work and a very reasonable price.
Eric_Shea
My preference for 14's would be a stock anodized finish. The finishes range from full polished to RSR. Full polish is full bling and it needs to be protected somehow. Anodizing is the best protectant. I've come to really love the stock anodized finish if it's done right. I think RSR would only look right on a deeper wheel but... what others have said; it's your set of wheels.
computers4kids
Full polish look
IPB Image
Socalandy
4 lug and 5 lug. I had the 4 lug wheels bead blasted for the flats
Socalandy
drooley.gif Fresh from Al's
ConeDodger
I would talk to Al Weidman right here on this forum. Al sold Al Reed that business years ago. He is right in Northern California where you are so shipping might be less and the price might be nice too...
913B
Wow, thats very nice, what size are they, what was done ? Polished, painted and clear coat ?
913B
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 17 2011, 02:21 PM) *

drooley.gif Fresh from Al's

Wow, thats very nice, what size are they, what was done ? Polished, painted and clear coat ?
Socalandy
learn something every day, What was the shop name then?
913B
QUOTE(DanT @ Mar 16 2011, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 16 2011, 08:10 PM) *

OK those were black background with anodized petals and rim.... smile.gif
Here is a pic of some 6x14s with the petals polished along with the rim

DanT did you buy those replicas. They were so tempting. Stupid question, are replica's bad or was it 14" no one wanted ??
DanT
nope I didn't buy them, just found the pic of what I was looking for....
I have 4 lug on my car currently, and might consider doing a five lug in the future if I get tired of my current wheels biggrin.gif
If I did got to 5 lug I would run 6 or 7x16s more than likely....quite a few more tire choices in 16" sizes.
Tom_T
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 17 2011, 04:41 PM) *

I would talk to Al Weidman right here on this forum. Al sold Al Reed that business years ago. He is right in Northern California where you are so shipping might be less and the price might be nice too...

Both Al's wheels that I've seen are excellent. I think he's in the South Bay LA area, so Reid in Anahem would be closer & he can drop & pick-up for no shipping.

IIRC Al also has "loaner wheels" if he's driving on them now (Weideman probably does too).
Tom_T
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 17 2011, 02:20 PM) *

My wheels now! ... those 4 lugs. biggrin.gif

Al Reid may have a cow when I tell him I want them anodized though. biggrin.gif

Those are high polish that Andy had done, & look sharp, but I want OE look & less maintenance on mine when done.

BTW Andy - don't sell the yellow 914!!!! sad.gif
nsr-jamie
So Al reed is not polishing anymore? There is another Al now? Is there a website for these guys please?
913B
Not sure, I never made it to Al's.
kconway
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Apr 20 2011, 08:45 PM) *

So Al reed is not polishing anymore? There is another Al now? Is there a website for these guys please?

Huh? Where did you hear Al was no longer in business?
nsr-jamie
Oops, sorry. Looks like I misread the thread a couple of previous postings, Al Reed bought the business from another Al..sorry for the confusion.

So is there a way to get in touch with him via email? Does he have a website? I did a search but only seem to come up with just a phone number....where abouts is his business located?

I am looking for a nice set of 15 or 16 x 7 inch wheels to fit my stock fenders (no flares yet) and loved the polished look and was wondering if its a possibility to get a set from him....I have no cores or wheels to use and am located over seas....maybe I am just dreaming but those pictures from Socalandy were awesome and had me dreaming about a similiar set in 7 inchers.

QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 21 2011, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Apr 20 2011, 08:45 PM) *

Huh? Where did you hear Al was no longer in business?

burton73
You can get a set of Deep 6 x 15 “ with harts. My set are from 1969. No need to do anything with your wheel wells.

They just cost a lot of money.

Bob Burton
Click to view attachment
eric9144
Cant find a website for him but here's his contact info:

AL Reed Specialty Polishing

3010 East Coronado Street #A
Anaheim, CA 92806

(714) 632-3907
kconway
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 21 2011, 04:37 PM) *

Anaheim, CA 92806

(714) 632-390

(714) 632-3907

I highly doubt Al does email. In fact, he's kinda tough to get on the phone. Keep trying if you don't get an answer you might have to call at several times during the day to get him on the line.
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 22 2011, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 21 2011, 04:37 PM) *

Anaheim, CA 92806

(714) 632-390

(714) 632-3907

I highly doubt Al does email. In fact, he's kinda tough to get on the phone. Keep trying if you don't get an answer you might have to call at several times during the day to get him on the line.

Yeah, thats what I kind of figured and with me living way over here in Japan its going to be very tricky to get in touch.
eric9144
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 17 2011, 02:20 PM) *

SoCalAndy, those are absolutely beautiful!! I will have dreams about these for a while, time to snatch all the wheels off my 914 and try and sneak them up to Anaheim without the wife noticing wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.