Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some axle removal tips.. thanks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Got the inboard side out no problem. Bolts are out of the outboard side. Any tips on seperating the cv from the hub? Access is abit limited to get something in there.

Thanks, Tod
Cupomeat
I always pull the axle nut and slide the the stub axle out to separate it.

Working in the recess of the trailing arm is very difficult.

Otherwise, once you remove the 4 bolts, just use a wedge to kill the seal and pry the CV from the stub axle.

I hope that helps.
tod914
Thanks Eric, I'll see if I can find a wedge that fits. Thinking pulling the whole deal is probally the smarter approach. I'll try the wedge method first. Have a tool recommendation for that Eric? Some type of L-shaped bar to get between the hub and cv?
Jeffs9146
Lennies914 and I use a come along attached to the trailing arm and the axcel. Put tension on it and tap it with a hammer or crow bar! It will pop off!
r_towle
I use a tiny wonderbar/flat bar you get at Home Depot
Typically I pull the big nut and do it that way...its alot easier.
Had to do it once and the little bar is small enough to get in there, its 90 degrees on the end and you just twist it up and down...
Same pins are your issue on both ends...so you need to get it moving, then back and forth...

Rich
tod914
Great thanks guys. Heading over to my buddies house to see what kind of pry bars, etc., he has. If not then up to Home Depot. Sears and NAPA didn't have much on the shelves for this task.
tod914
Interesting technique Jeff. We just fabricated a 90 degree flat tip screw driver with a torc and some grinding. Should do the trick I think. Will readdress the removal on Sunday.
type47
Connection between the CV and the axle flange is same as CV and tranny flange. Don't know why you need any special tool, once it's unbolted it should separate; it did when I did my axle.
Eric_Shea
Don't know why you need any special tool, once it's unbolted it should separate; it did when I did my axle.

You were lucky. They bind often.

Pull the big nut and yank the assembly "then" use a wedge/chisel to get them apart (on the bench is what Eric mentioned I would think). Make sure you place it on the gasket so as not to damage the stub axle or the CV.
tod914
CV was in good. Ended up snipping the boot.. sliding it up on the axle and taking apart the CV. Popped out the axle, then wobbled out the outboard cv with a large phillips head screw driver and vise grips. Hard part is done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.