Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto Body paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
I've got a friend thats looking for a super cheap paint job, I stumbled upon this site and their stuff looks pretty decent, but has anyone used their products?

paintforcars.com Brand looks like Starfire.

They have the black my friend wants, but they also have a "tangerine twist" that looks similar to Phoenix red... and for 80 a gallon of single stage, that would give me enough paint to mess up and try again (Or put a bunch of coats on, vs just 2)!

This is my first time actually spraying a car, (i've sprayed fenders and such in school with perfect results) and i'll be spraying my friends car in a garage.

I was thinking of ordering some color chips to see how it looks. Anyone use these products or something similar?

Thanks all!
McMark
A lot of cheap-o paints won't cover as well as the expensive stuff. So you can have striping problems, whatever's underneath can show through, or you end up using twice as much just to make it look decent. Just depends on how much he doesn't really care.

IMHO, don't waste your time on a 'super cheap black'. That's the worst color choice the cheap out on.
Andyrew
Mark, While I agree with you, its either this, or he pays Mayco to spray it with THEIR cheap crap... a 2 stage priced from the local paint store was $230. Mayco quoted my friend 280 for materials and labor and it comes with a warranty...

And no, he really doesnt care, he just wants it painted as cheap as possible.

I know there is really really crappy stuff out there, which is why im asking you all if you have ever dealt with this or is there some place you have dealt with that is cheap but has decent products.
injunmort
i used it on some motorcycle tin. it is very sensitive to the primer. first i sprayed it over red oxide auto primer and it blistered. had to strip it all off and covered the primer with sem high build primer and it went on ok. it is cost effective yet i dont know if i would take a chance on using again. it also requires many coats to achieve any depth of color. it could be because i used a platinum silver color but i had to spray it 10 times. fwiw.
Evil914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 17 2011, 08:24 AM) *

I've got a friend thats looking for a super cheap paint job, I stumbled upon this site and their stuff looks pretty decent, but has anyone used their products?

They have the black my friend wants, but they also have a "tangerine twist" that looks similar to Phoenix red... and for 80 a gallon of single stage, that would give me enough paint to mess up and try again (Or put a bunch of coats on, vs just 2)!

This is my first time actually spraying a car, (i've sprayed fenders and such in school with perfect results) and i'll be spraying my friends car in a garage.

I was thinking of ordering some color chips to see how it looks. Anyone use these products or something similar?

Thanks all!

I painted cars for a living for 15 years and have used about every kind of paint trying to find the best/cheapest.PPG and Dupont both have a "second"line that are good quailty-good price.Just like everything in life you get what you pay for most of the time.Save your self a lot of disappointment and spend a few dollars more to get "name" brand. Nason is a Dupont second line that seems to produce good results.
MikeSpraggi
I used these products, http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/ (the ACRYLIC ENAMEL system), but had MAACO spray it. They quoted me $300 to spray the exterior. I asked them to do the cabin and trunks and they charged appropriately. I also did most of the body work. While it was "ok" for a track car, if it were black, I would have had to spend a LOT more time to get the imperfections out. Like your friend, I wasn't searching for a high-end paint job. Needed something really cheap, but looking half way decent. In my case it was for a dedicated track car. I'm really happy with how it turned out for the money.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
I've had MACCO paint a few 914's for me over the years. If you treat them like a production shop, they do fine. Have it all prepared for paint, be explicit in what you want, what to use and they do good.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 17 2011, 08:33 AM) *

A lot of cheap-o paints won't cover as well as the expensive stuff. So you can have striping problems, whatever's underneath can show through, or you end up using twice as much just to make it look decent. Just depends on how much he doesn't really care.

IMHO, don't waste your time on a 'super cheap black'. That's the worst color choice the cheap out on.

agree.gif

I bought some cheap black paint on ebay to do the bottom side and it was really bad. Solids were so low that it took about 5 coats to to cover the primer color.
nsyr
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Mar 17 2011, 10:52 PM) *

I used these products, http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/ (the ACRYLIC ENAMEL system), but had MAACO spray it. They quoted me $300 to spray the exterior. I asked them to do the cabin and trunks and they charged appropriately. I also did most of the body work. While it was "ok" for a track car, if it were black, I would have had to spend a LOT more time to get the imperfections out. Like you friend, I wasn't searching for a high-end paint job. Needed something really cheap, but looking half way decent. In my case it was for a dedicated track car. I'm really happy with how it turned out for the money.

How much paint (paint+reducer) did you use?
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(nsyr @ Mar 18 2011, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Mar 17 2011, 10:52 PM) *

I used these products, http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/ (the ACRYLIC ENAMEL system), but had MAACO spray it. They quoted me $300 to spray the exterior. I asked them to do the cabin and trunks and they charged appropriately. I also did most of the body work. While it was "ok" for a track car, if it were black, I would have had to spend a LOT more time to get the imperfections out. Like you friend, I wasn't searching for a high-end paint job. Needed something really cheap, but looking half way decent. In my case it was for a dedicated track car. I'm really happy with how it turned out for the money.

How much paint (paint+reducer) did you use?

I'll dig up what I ordered. I had some of everything left over.
underthetire
You want cheap
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pi...amp;sid=7776402

race914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 17 2011, 09:24 AM) *

Thanks all!

Another thing for consideration is shipping into California. I searched paintforcars.com and couldn't find anything about waterborne or low VOC products.
Andyrew
Mike,

Great info. I am also very curious how much you used and how many coats you applied.

Race914,

That was another concern of mine as well. Im sure I can work around it, but I'd like to stay somewhat compliant.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 18 2011, 11:48 AM) *

Mike,

Great info. I am also very curious how much you used and how many coats you applied.

Race914,

That was another concern of mine as well. Im sure I can work around it, but I'd like to stay somewhat compliant.

Here's what was purchased, 1 gallon acrylic enamel paint, 1 pint wet look acrylic enamel hardener, 1 quart medium urethane reducer, 2 quarts 2K ISO-Free Primer (Part A) and 2 pints 2K ISO Free Hardener Part B. As I mentioned, I still had product left over to paint more if need be. I can ask Maaco how many coats they put on, I really don't know, but for now the paint looks deep and not faded .. been about 8 months and always garaged.
Andyrew
One gallon got you that far? Wow, thats pretty cool.

I'd really like to be able to spray the trunk and have stuff left over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.