Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: VW Cabrio problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,
We have a 99 Cabrio that my lovely daughter drives daily.
Harsh winter. lots of ice.
Now the passenger side power window does not go down, no clicks are audible.

Is there a seperate fuse for the passenger side versus all the rest?
Drivers side window works.

I read online that fuse number 14 controls the windows, plural.
Not worth checking considering the rest of the windows work.
Of course the user manual says nothing about power windows in the fuse box...not even an optional page.

I am hoping that one day there was alot of ICE and she tried the window and blew the fuse....but I am not sure if there is a seperate one for each window...

rich
flipb
That generation of VWs is pretty notorious for power window failures. My wife's 99 Jetta had a similar problem. Then it started to fall down into the slot, had to be duct taped up (wrapped from inside to outside over the door frame) til the dealer could fix it - which I think was done under recall, no cost to us.

Cap'n Krusty
Find a person or shop with Vag Com (now called "Vadis") and have them scan the appropriate modules. That should point you in the right direction. VWs (among others) have issues with the wiring from the body to the door, as it flexes every time you open and close the door. Peel back the boot and have a look. It doesn't sound like a typical regulator problem, but it could be the motor. A scan should help, here. A new motor is about 400 bucks. A used one, if you can find a good one, should be around $100-150. It has to be the EXACT part number! BTW, a bad left door motor module can keep the right one from working.

The Cap'n
r_towle
Thank you.
I knew it was not simple.
My son has VagCom....he will do it for me..

I read somewhere that I can make all the windows go down with the key.
Can I make them go up again?
Thought that might rule out a few things if it works in that scenario.
Not gonna try if they only go down...at least not without some jumpers and the door panel removed and ready.

RIch
benalishhero
I agree with the Cap'n. The wires from the body to the door love to bend and break. That's where I would start. Then I would check the switch function. The motors rarely go bad.
70-914nut
you can roll the windows up and down by turning the key in the door lock left or right. try it before you tear in to anything
jk76.914
Well, my lovely daughter also has a 99 Cabrio. Shortly after we first got it, the driver's side pw failed. I took it apart, couldn't find anything wrong, put it back together, and it worked. After a while (coupla months) it failed again. Researched it (Google) and found the issue with late '90's power windows. VW had a recall on Jetta, but didn't include Cabrio. I took it VW, complained, to no avail. The new mechanism was one assembly, shrink-wrapped to corroguated, and cost (I think- it was 7 years ago) about $250. This did NOT include the motor.

It's all all still working.
r_towle
Allright....Cap'n slow here.
Finally got my son to take a look.
He said he heard the motor click when pushing the button.
I guess my hearing is going.

I got it inside the shop and turned off the stereo..yup, it clicks.

Its this a dead motor, or is there another possible outcome?
I have not checked the wires...remember I am slow.

Rich
r_towle
bump for he big dog.
r_towle
Is anyone out there?
rohar
The power window motor has a plastic gear that engages the window regulator. If you're hearing a click, that gear is warn. Time to pull the door card and inspect the damage.
r_towle
My son used the Snap On scanner with the Vagcom chipset.
He could not read nor communicate with the door module.

I am trying to avoid buying both a motor and a regulator here.

Is there a simple test I could do on the regulator to see if it is sending power to the door motor?

Try to resolve this with a simple volt meter?

And, given that he could not communicate with the door module, is that a snap-on issue (guy is coming on Wed, they will ask) or is that a potential short in the wiring?

We were unclear if the communication was to the ECU or to some other module.

We could see the airbag issue, so general communication worked...check that.
r_towle
Just checked.
We need to try again with using the "central convenience" module.
He was going for door modules...and that is not supported by the cabrio.

Off to hunt again.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.