Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something sounds bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Vysoc
Hello World flag.gif

Today was a beautiful day, and my day off, took the 914 out for a spirited romp in the country and picked up a nasty sound, that was not normal. Took the car home and experienced no unusual temperature fluctuation, Oil Pressure was normal, Volts were good, looked under car and nothing unusual or loose but I could isolate the rubbing ticking to the fan housing area, several times on the way home it went away but came back up over 1500 rpm. Of course it could be alot of things but what direction should I start?

I have a GA 2.0 with D Jet Fuel Injection, was not really pushing the car nothing over 4500 rpm's.

Your thoughts as always are great sources of information!!!

Thank you, Sebring on Saturday!!!

Vysoc confused24.gif dry.gif idea.gif
r_towle
Get a mirror and look at the fan.
See if there is a leaf of stick in there.

Check the alternator belt also..and alternator mount.

rich
Scott S
I had a similar issue when a bearing went bad in an alternator…. Horrible horrible noises….
sww914
I vote for a rag or a paper towel stuck in the fan.
blitZ
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Mar 17 2011, 04:09 PM) *

I had a similar issue when a bearing went bad in an alternator…. Horrible horrible noises….

That was my first thought, same thing happened to me.
Vysoc
And the Verdict........

Something came dislodged and was lightly rubbing up against the fan. I removed the hoses and could get a good look in there, I then found it and attached it where it should be and correctly. Also finally got the chance to change the oil for the first time since restoration, only put about 800 miles on her but I wanted to put the Brad Penn 20-50 in and a new Mahle oil filter. Also adjusted the valves and checked for any visible problems underneath. Took off the Bursch exhaust and put a Magnaflow with a real cool tip, sounds better and even has a cool little growl.

I guess what I am most impressed with in my 914 is the way the 901 transmission shifts, my PO had this transmission reworked by Otto's in Venice, California in the late 90's. The car has not had a lot of miles put on her since then, the shifting is tight and night and day different than the 915 gearbox in my 911SC.
Had a friend over a month ago with a 69 911T, we drove all three cars that day, 914, 1980 911SC and his 69 911T.
MVP for the day was the 914, his 901 (sloppy, long & loose) and my 901 tranny were at opposite ends of the spectrum, he could not believe how well the 914 shifted and ran.

I love my little go kart, I am selling the 911SC and would like to build another 914 with flares and a 3.2.

Vysoc flag.gif
VaccaRabite
Nice! I am glad it was something simple and not the alternator.
TheCabinetmaker
I been driving our little go karts for almost 40 years. You 911 guys just now figuring it out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.