Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats my car worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Socalandy
Not that I'm selling today but with the -6 resto going and a one car garage it will in the near future. I hope to see it go to someone in our 914 family. A few pictures here but Im sure everyone has seen this car by now. just over 15k miles on the rebuilt 2.0 and trans.

It will be a sad day when she's gone head_hurts_kr.gif
Socalandy
blink.gif
Socalandy
wacko.gif
Socalandy
WTF.gif
ptravnic
Pretty ride. I'm assuming it is a 2L and would guesstimate north of $10k.

-pt
championgt1
This car has always been one of my favs! Sorry you have to sell. sad.gif
Socalandy
I wish I had a 2 car garage so I didnt
JRust
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 17 2011, 08:52 PM) *

I wish I had a 2 car garage so I didnt

I feel your pain Andy. I tell you what I'll be happy to store it for you for a few years. I'll drive it occasionally to make sure all is good with it. You will be welcome to come visit anytime. shades.gif
Rand
What's your car worth? It's worth storing in my garage until you realize you really want it back. I'll take good care of it and won't let the gas get stale.

smile.gif

Nice car.
Rand
Great minds think alike Jamie. Hey, I might have to work a deal with you on one of those extras you need to get rid of.
plymouth37
If you don't need the money store it, you will regret selling a car that pretty!
Mike Bellis
I think you should move to a two car garage OR put a cover on it and park it in the driveway.
johannes
Worth 12 Euros ... in euroland

TJB/914
Socalandy, Beautiful 914!!!

Don't believe those guys, it's worth $20K to $25K in today's 914 growing market. Listen to the stories of people with dissappointments looking at the $10K ot $15K market. My humble opinion. first.gif

Tom

Cairo94507
That car should bring 15K; it is very, very nice. I would look for another house with a 3 car garage (thinking ahead).
6freak
Hi teens low 20`s ......very very nice machine....good luck with your six
tod914
Find the right buyer, I would think easily 15K on it Andy. Beautiful car and very tastefully done.
Krieger
It was worth 16-18. In todays market 13-15. Very nice car.
tat2dphreak
store it if you don't need the money...

can't speak for California, but here, today, I'd guess 12-14.. I'm not sure if it would be more, or less, in california...
GeorgeRud
4 post vehicle lift for your garage, then keep the car.

It is a very nice looking car!
computers4kids
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 18 2011, 06:48 AM) *

It was worth 16-18. In todays market 13-15. Very nice car.

agree.gif
jim_hoyland
Best looking 914 in So Cal by far. Rent a garage space, keep the car. I had to rent an extra garage a block away to keep the 914 when I got the boxster.

Value ? I think it's a $20K car; the market may not be strong enough to support that price. Est of $13-$15 sound accurate given the economy and uncertainty.
Ferg
For the first time ever, I'm considering a yellow 914 drooley.gif
MDG
If you couldn't get $15k I wouldn't even consider selling. As the economy slowly rights itself collector car values will surely rise again. If you let that go for less than $15k, in a couple of years you'll not only be missing the car . . you'll also be headbang.gif when you start seeing cars not as nice selling for more.

my humble .02
windforfun
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 18 2011, 08:49 AM) *

If you couldn't get $15k I wouldn't even consider selling. As the economy slowly rights itself collector car values will surely rise again. If you let that go for less than $15k, in a couple of years you'll not only be missing the car . . you'll also be headbang.gif when you start seeing cars not as nice selling for more.

my humble .02

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
JmuRiz
What's your garage situation, I'm with the crowd that thinks a 4-post lift could work (if you had the headroom).

Other than that, $15k+ or don't sell.

It's like the 4-cyl version of Rich Johnson's car...REALLY great looking car.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 18 2011, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 18 2011, 08:49 AM) *

my humble .02

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

agree.gif I have seen 2.0l cars not as nice as yours go for above $15k recently. Although they were more concours correct than yours car is. That said, if you HAVE to sell, ask over 20k. The car is too nice not to get close to that and getting it back to 100%stock would be easy if someone wanted to do it. Why they would I don't know as those wheels look perfect drooley.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 18 2011, 06:57 AM) *

agree.gif

.... IMHO keep the 72 914 - even after the 6 is done!
driving.gif + driving-girl.gif .... if you get my drift! biggrin.gif

Alt. #1 - Lift at home/condo - they'll run you $1800 - $3000+/- in both electric & air driven flavors, but you'll need about 11' min. clear height in your garage, from what Jeff Bolwsby & I measured for his garage as reference for my garage (you've seen mine & I'll have to raise the roof dry.gif ). Let me know & I can help look your garage over if you want tomorrow, or after next week (I'll be in San Diego Sun. & back east next Wed. - Tues. following week),

PS edit - but call my cell, PM or email me since I'm not monitoring this topic.

Alt. #2 - keep the 6 at your folks house to work on, & the drivable 72 at yours - or visa versa.

Alt. #3 - Public Storage or other local Orange rental garage - or look at rent a public storage here in town as a "temp garage" - IIRC the one on N. Glassell by the Badminton Club has some for a reasonable price (for the OC market).

PS edit - You don't want to sell it now at the economic low point anyway, but will probably want to work on the -6 before the economy & 914/collector car values recover. Now my guess would be in the mid or high teens +/- ~ whereas after the economy & spending are strong again, you gen expect more like $20K & up in a couple of years as a restored & modified 72 2056 - assuming you keep the condition up & take care of the normal wear-n-tear & paint dings you've mentioned to me before.

JM2C - Tom beerchug.gif
///////
Madswede
Ouch. All I can say is, ouch. I don't wanna see you sell that car, Andy! It still is one of my favorites! If you gotta do it, though, here's hoping someone in the "family" buys it.

- Nelson
rick 918-S
I would like to see someone here buy it but you may do better over seas. Do you own or lease? With property values at an all time low you may want to think about getting a bigger place. idea.gif The equity walking in the door will likely be more in 6 years than you will get in cash for the teener today.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 18 2011, 06:02 PM) *

I would like to see someone here buy it but you may do better over seas. Do you own or lease? With property values at an all time low you may want to think about getting a bigger place. idea.gif The equity walking in the door will likely be more in 6 years than you will get in cash for the teener today.

agree.gif

Good point Andy - new Alt' #4!
... if you want to look in the Old Towne or nearby area, call Dan Slater & tell him I referred you, he'll find you guys a good deal. Hard part may be selling the condo, but it may move quick if priced right since the entry level priced homes/condos are what's moving now. Also, payments may be similar to what you've got now, with rates still low (unless you're refi'ed recently).

There was a couple in SF Valley in an LA Times article a few weeks back selling a 6 car garage+shop with a house attached! biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 18 2011, 09:57 AM) *

agree.gif
Black22
I can tell you exactly what that car is worth....it's worth KEEPING!
markb
QUOTE(Black22 @ Mar 20 2011, 11:53 AM) *

I can tell you exactly what that car is worth....it's worth KEEPING!

agree.gif
euro911
If you're not planning on moving, I also agree with the 4-post lift for your garage ... and you don't need an 11' ceiling, especially if you're storing 2 'lowered' 914s on it.

call me.gif ...
Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 20 2011, 01:34 PM) *

If you're not planning on moving, I also agree with the 4-post lift for your garage ... and you don't need an 11' ceiling, especially if you're storing 2 'lowered' 914s on it.

call me.gif ...

Out of curiosity Mark, what height did you come up with?

We were figuring +/- 11' with my 85 E30 BMW 325e below & mildly lowered (front only) 914 above with some "cushion". since my cross joists are at 7.5' +/-, adding 4.5' or less is all the same to me, but Andy may have more workable clear height if only for 2 914s stacked.
Socalandy
I will measure in the morning and see what I have to work with, Thanks
euro911
I just figured 4.5' for a stock height 914, 4" for the lift rails and another 6" of headroom (3" per car) came up to 118" (+/- 10'), so you're actually not too far off, Tom.

I've seen folks box a small area of the ceiling joists to create a raised ceiling if they needed additional headroom for the roof of a car. That should yield 6" or more inches of additional clearance depending on the height of joists (8~12" depending on the span and when the structure was built).

I haven't seen Andy's garage, yet ... popcorn[1].gif
MoveQik
Good lord Andy....if you need the money to finish the /6, then fine, sell it. Otherwise, find the space/cash to keep it. Your car is amazing. The cost of a lift would be a LOT cheaper than the beating you will take on selling it. Keep it and enjoy it and get your money out of it! Just my .02. biggrin.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 21 2011, 12:09 AM) *

Good lord Andy....if you need the money to finish the /6, then fine, sell it. Otherwise, find the space/cash to keep it. Your car is amazing. The cost of a lift would be a LOT cheaper than the beating you will take on selling it. Keep it and enjoy it and get your money out of it! Just my .02. biggrin.gif

agree.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Mar 20 2011, 09:29 PM) *

I will measure in the morning and see what I have to work with, Thanks

Call me today Andy & I can shoot over this evening or tomorrow & look at what you've got structurally to work with or around. Otherwise it will be late next week when I get back, as I'm traveling back east early Wed am & return late next Tues.

Hopefully your HOA will let you do some minor stuff on the unit's garage.

Email me if you've lost my cell #.

PS - I'm around this afternoon & tomorrow afternoon too, if you get off work early.

Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 20 2011, 11:05 PM) *

I just figured 4.5' for a stock height 914, 4" for the lift rails and another 6" of headroom (3" per car) came up to 118" (+/- 10'), so you're actually not too far off, Tom.

I've seen folks box a small area of the ceiling joists to create a raised ceiling if they needed additional headroom for the roof of a car. That should yield 6" or more inches of additional clearance depending on the height of joists (8~12" depending on the span and when the structure was built).

I haven't seen Andy's garage, yet ... popcorn[1].gif

Mark, it sounds like you're in the building/design biz too! biggrin.gif

Another variable is the height of the lift's posts, since they can be taller for units with more than a 4.5' lift, since IIRC some will lift to 6-7' clear under the lift rails, then there's the lift mechanism's override height. So it will be a process of checking various lift mfgr's. specs. for dimensions all around.

I've only seen Andy's place from the street, since he lives about a mile away & in the next complex to one of my son's High School buddies (we're both in Orange). So I can't speak to it's roof structure, but it's a 1970-80's era structure & may have prefab'ed trusses up there, which can actually be restructured at a cost/effort to open up to the rafters. We'll see!

Unfortunately I'm not so lucky with my detached 1921 garage which is only 18' w. x 17.5' d. & about 7.5' h. clr. to the horizontal tie joists below the rafters. sad.gif
However, I'll need to do some major restructuring to get 3 cars into the garage & resolve roof drainage problems from it's 1920's hacked-up construction methods, since it's attached to a former farm shop building in the rear (my home office now) with an odd high/low/gable/shed/cricket roof setup that I need to rework to extend the main gable back over it, which will require me to raise the roof & insert a 3-4' h. wall section & may carry it back as a truss section over the shop in back to carry the roof & provide lateral resistance (see short side wall @ garage door below). So I may as well set it at what ht. I need.

In the pic below the door is actually only 15' w. (not normal 16') with about 12" of wall/post at each side, and about 7' clr. ht. to the header/beam above, with the rafters inside about 6" above that. dry.gif
Click to view attachment
... so I need to do some more construction .... sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
Ferg
My ceiling is just under 11 (10'8 IIRC) and I can stack the Mini and the 911 barely, 914's being easier.

Tom_T
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 21 2011, 02:25 PM) *

My ceiling is just under 11 (10'8 IIRC) and I can stack the Mini and the 911 barely, 914's being easier.

Sounds about right for parking them Ferg, as Jeff's garage had some "extra clearance" at 11' (but my 325 E30 is a bit taller than your Mini IIRC), and ultimately other vehicles would benefit from as much height as he can generate in there as a 2-car "stacked garage set-up" - either with it's current clear height, or by "adjusting" some of the ceiling or joist height.

I think Andy also needs head height to work on the -6 shell underneath, probably on a rotisserie at some point. I think his wife has a Jetta which may end up parked inside at some point - & who knows what cars will come along later!? biggrin.gif

In a case such as Andy's with a 1 car garage townhouse unit, the ability to park 2 cars stacked in the garage will add value to the unit, assuming the lift were sold with it ultimately.
Pat Garvey
somehow I've missed the specifics for this 914.

What's have?
P
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 21 2011, 03:00 PM) *

somehow I've missed the specifics for this 914.

What's have?
P

It's the COTM from Oct/Nov 2010 or `09 IIRC Pat - a 72 full resto from shell, 2056 dual carbs, very nice looking, solid & fast runner - even if not OE/CW.

I bought Andy's Al Reid resto'd 4 lug Fuchs 2Ls for my resto, when he did a 5-lug conversion with Fuchs.

Click to view attachment

IMHO - he should just keep it! shades.gif
john grier
What am I missing here,
You have a cotm 914 that is a keeper.
You also have a 914-6 that is a keeper, but not a cotm.
This is a no brainer.
You have to keep them both!!!
Like everyone else does, storage space can be obtained when needed.
Do it and keep both.
in my humble opinion, John
gothspeed
I need to see a nice video of this car in order to give a more accurate opinion of its worth ...... shades.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 21 2011, 06:51 PM) *

I need to see a nice video of this car in order to give a more accurate opinion of its worth ...... shades.gif

Check the Garage forums from a few months back. He posted some of a run out Santiago Canyon & Live Oak Canyon Roads to O'Neill Park & back last Fall `10 IIRC, with his new "toy" ProCam IIRC. Coming back with the camera pointed rearwards will get you icon8.gif barf.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(john grier @ Mar 21 2011, 06:22 PM) *

What am I missing here,
You have a cotm 914 that is a keeper.
You also have a 914-6 that is a keeper, but not a cotm.

More correctly - "yet to be a COTM" on the -6, from what I've seen of Andy's handiwork! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.