Full Version: Cable shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Has anyone used this cable shifter?

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/CustomCars/Pictures/Pic01.jpg

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
Mike Bellis
I think they took the basic design from www.cableshift.com

I'm not sure who here has used the renegade piece.
DanT
cable shifter looks like it is for a 915 box. smile.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(DanT @ Mar 17 2011, 09:12 PM) *

cable shifter looks like it is for a 915 box. smile.gif

I agree!
IPB Image
jaxdream
That shifter looks to be no more than a fancied up 88 celica shifter turned around for rear shift, which I snagged one from a pick n pull . I got the cable shifter part idea from one of the guys here ( I can't recall at moment , do a search ) that made up a cable shifter setup. That is a good looking shifter I will give it that , nice knob also. Do a search on cable shifters here , a bunch of threads on it.

Jack / Jaxdream
partwerks
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Mar 17 2011, 08:36 PM) *

That shifter looks to be no more than a fancied up 88 celica shifter turned around for rear shift, which I snagged one from a pick n pull . I got the cable shifter part idea from one of the guys here ( I can't recall at moment , do a search ) that made up a cable shifter setup. That is a good looking shifter I will give it that , nice knob also. Do a search on cable shifters here , a bunch of threads on it.

Jack / Jaxdream

I'm wondering if a cable shifter would help to get around any binding issues with the shift rod that goes under the engine with the subie conversion?

I also considered doing a level 1 J West but it appears the other levels are being weeded out at the moment?
jaxdream
Check out the Subie threads in the classics section , do a search . I believe most that go subie use a cable shifter.Good luck.

Jack / Jaxdream
andys
The MR2 shifter tower is probably the best solution; the cable bulkheads are already in the right place. Even the knob has the correct 5 speed pattern engraved in it.

Andy1
partwerks
Which would be the better shifter, the Boxster or the MR2, or something else?

Would I be better off getting the setup from Cableshift or use the shifter from Boxster/MR2 and just get the contraption on the trans from Cableshift, if they sell it separate?

Is anyone on the club making a setup for sale presently?
JRust
I am going through this with my suby onversion too. Really be nice to have a cable shift for the stock 901 tranny. That would make the conversion much easier. I am test fitting mine right now. IT will work with the stock linkage. The problem I have is the exhaust. As long as you do something custom you are okay. Trying to buy a stock header of anykind will be a problem. All of which would not be a problem with a cable shift for a stock 901.
partwerks
Anyone happen to have pics of the Boxster cable shifter or MR2 shifter? I'm wondering how those would fit with my stock console or would I have to discontinue it?
Anyone have prints on how to make the bracket to attach the cables on the 901 side shift?

Or would I be better off just using the modified shift rod for the Subie and going with the level 1 from J West and get a steering shaft with U joints and use that to complete the kit and hope that works to eliminate and miss alignments?

I'm wondering with the U joints if it would allow a person to change the angles a bit where it goes under the engine?
partwerks
Since I heard a boxster shifter would work, I'm wondering how it will fit with my console or am I going to have to do a bunch of rework Ricky to make it fit and look like stock? Also, there is still the fact of the bracket for them to attach to, back at the trans.
Any thoughts, ideas or suggestion for the bracket or something to go off of for a pattern.

I don't know, this thing looks more like a Python than a shifter?? Sure it's going to fit??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Box...sQ5fAccessories
Elliot Cannon
I have the old Renegade shifter in my car and the new one HAS to be an improvement. happy11.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ Mar 20 2011, 03:01 PM) *

I'm wondering with the U joints if it would allow a person to change the angles a bit where it goes under the engine?

Absolutely! You need to keep the rod angle at the tranny the same as factory. But you can add a U Joint there and at the firewall. Up to 4 can be used but you will need a pillow block bearing to hold the center section of your rod system. That way it will spin on its axis and slide forward and aft without flopping around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.