Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Spider Gear Differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So I was rebuilding my CVs and I notice the spider gear are different and thus it gives the CV more movement on the sharper edge one (the CV on the left). So is it bad to have a mismatch set. Should one belong in the inboard and the other for the outboard ?? The one on the right have very limited movement. What does the 914 Gods say.....

Click to view attachment

Eric_Shea
We had found it was the cages I believe. The "Meyle" CV's hyper extended and the GNK Loebro brand did not. Mark had a failure while coming out of a driveway apron and powering on to a street. I think it (hyper extension CV) should go on the wheel side or... better yet, in the circular file cabinet.
pcar916
There are several good threads on cv's here in various places if you haven't built any yet. To your question specifically...

There is no outboard and inboard cv. The bolt holes and roll pins line up on either end of the axle and, other than the camber on your wheel, there is no significant difference in the deflection angle between the inside and outside cv's. But here's a tip.

You can extend the life of your (good) cv's by putting the cleaned and repacked units on the other end of the axle from which they came. It makes a different wear pattern and the load is transferred to different parts of the races and the cage.

Get them cleaned up and look for excessive wear, which shows up as metal galling or really deep grooves, and usually pitted balls. As we all know, pitted balls are unacceptable. A note about axle rotation because you could just rotate the axle/cv unit and bolt it back up 180 degrees from how you found it and accomplish the same thing.

In general it's better to keep the axles rotating in the same direction because the metal-memory remembers shear-stress in that direction. I would also state categorically that anyone with a four cylinder car is unlikely to break an axle no matter what they do, but in a high horsepower machine it could become an issue.

Good luck!
913B
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 19 2011, 08:35 AM) *

We had found it was the cages I believe. The "Meyle" CV's hyper extended and the GNK Loebro brand did not. Mark had a failure while coming out of a driveway apron and powering on to a street. I think it (hyper extension CV) should go on the wheel side or... better yet, in the circular file cabinet.

Eric, " ... circular file cabinet" you mean store them away for later use, dont use that one ?

Thanks Eric
Dr Evil
Circular file cabinet = trash can wink.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 19 2011, 08:26 AM) *

Otherwise known as a "round file"
stugray
I currently have at least 8 CVs clean & ready for inspection then reuse on my current rebuild.

I was considering taking photos of all of them to post, but wasnt sure if anyone was interested enough to warrant the effort.

Should I post pics of good vs bad? I believe I only have one bad one, and the damage is near one end as pcar916 suggests above.

I really dont know how to tell a "use as is" vs a "I wouldnt use that", so I am also interested in this topic.

IPB Image

Stu
McMark
Pictures are always helpful. If not today, maybe tomorrow. Post 'em!

IMHO, the less extension the better.
913B
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Mar 19 2011, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 19 2011, 08:26 AM) *

Otherwise known as a "round file"

Learned 2 things today. Thanks guys !!!! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.