Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what did I do now?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gendent
Thanks very much to Chris at Tangerine Racing for the quick and efficient phone consult to get me running. I also replaced a MPS and thought I would review the timing just to be sure everything looks good. It started right up and the timing was just a little off so I adjusted it and it was running like a champ. Shut it down, went to get the new license tabs, returned 45 minutes later and no start. I can hear the fuel pump running.The starter turns the motor over but it won't fire, so I am thinking fuel/spark issue, especially in the spark department as that was what I was messing with last. It has a pertronics ignition, D jet in a 73 2.0 L. What could I have done to the setup to fubar it this time? I have not removed the injectors cause I don't know how. I tried a little starting fluid without positive results. I appreciate all suggestions, but right now I am off to the daughter's track meet. I will check back in a couple of hours. Thanks for your support.

Jim
sfrenck
I'll start with the easy ones - got gas? A friend of mine had this problem because he ran out.

Next (I had this problem) - clogged fuel filter.

Both can be examined with a fuel pressure gauge installed in place of the cold-start valve.
gendent
I will look shortly. Since it did not fire off with starting fluid should I still pursue the fuel issue and not the ignition? I guess all are on the table?

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(gendent @ Mar 19 2011, 09:56 AM) *
It has a pertronics ignition

Did you leave the key on? idea.gif
gendent
No, I have been really carreful to turn everything off since I spilled a little gasoline when replacing fuel lines in the engine compartment, even to the point of removing the battery so I wouldn't accidentally spark any unintended contacts with my head in the engine compartment.
tod914
Maybe try pulling one of your plug wires, putting an old plug in it and see if your getting spark. Help you to rule out the petronix being dead like Andy was suggesting.
gendent
I have the old plug to try and I will, but I keep getting dental "emergency" calls today, so your suggestion will need to wait for a bit. Thanks for the suggestions and I will post again with my results as soon as I can get my hands dirty again.

Jim
jmill
I usually consult my handy dandy flowchart in situations like these.

jmill
In all seriousness I'm lost with FI. I'm a weber guy. However, I'd undo your timing adjustment. I've BTDT, advanced it a bit too far so it's not retarded enough at idle.
gendent
I like the flow chart, although I won't be including it in my treatment planning consultations. Not a "practice builder" in the confidence arena. Perfectly applicable in my experience with the 914 though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.