Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's Silver Bullet worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A&PGirl
What's it worth? Local guy wants to buy it for a Subaru swap or rotary transplant. He has stated he wants the ‘car’ and the transmission.

Car: Mostly original 1974 1.8 with original Silver metallic paint. Comfort package. Daily driver. Reliable. Original FI gone. Has some hellhole rust and some sail panel rust. Driver’s door has a dent. Has been hit at least twice to our knowledge and been repaired. Rear trunk lid hinge broke.

New ball joints, front & rear wheel bearing + seals, shocks & struts, brake discs, brake pads, master cylinder, new fuel pump, speakers, cd player, brand new side mirror from Porsche, starter, new shifter bushings. New Mikey914 Rear Targa top seal.

Lights & wipers work. Ventilation works. Heat works well once it gets going, original heat exchangers in good condition.

1.8 engine works well, but on the loose side. Needs new pushrod seals. Petronix in dizzy. Single progressive Weber on top. Transmission has minor grinding into 1st/Reverse. Has hit & miss minor 3rd gear grinding. Has original exhaust. To my knowledge (from driving it a lot), it does not have any exhaust leaks.

Fuel system does not leak. However, the new fuel pump died and it is on the list of things to do.

Original interior. Seats so-so, cracked dash, good undestroyed door panels, original carpet, original backpad. knee pad, center pad, steering wheel, center console and good speaker panels. Seat belts work. Door latches have been lubed. CD player destroyed by vandals. Center console gauges work except for clock. All gauges above the steering wheel work. All trim there.

Wheels: Polished fuchs.

What would be a fair price among these options?

Option 1: Complete car

Option 2: Complete car without the 1.8

Option 3: Complete car without the 1.8 and interior

Option 4: Roller with transmission + fuel +lights

Option 4: Roller with transmission.

Warning: Old pics.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 19 2011, 10:36 AM) *

It might be a 7/16 SAE thread. Many foreign cars were required to have SAE seat belt bolts.

California price... runs needs work $1500
roller $700
A&PGirl
Any one else? popcorn[1].gif

1.8's are hard to pin down the resale value.

Chris Pincetich
It is a buyer's market.
Perhaps start at $2-3k and let the hagglin begin.
The wheels alone are worth $400.
If I was looking to buy a project 914, there are lots to choose from in the price range quoted above.
The 914 is an easy habit to start, and painful to sell-out of. That is why so many here are lifetime addicts beerchug.gif
bfrymire
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 21 2011, 05:54 PM) *

It is a buyer's market.
Perhaps start at $2-3k and let the hagglin begin.
The wheels alone are worth $400.
If I was looking to buy a project 914, there are lots to choose from in the price range quoted above.
The 914 is an easy habit to start, and painful to sell-out of. That is why so many here are lifetime addicts beerchug.gif

agree.gif

From what you have stated:

Option 1: about 2k, if you fix the fuel pump and it runs. I think 3k, in today's market, would be pushing it. But you never know, someone may be anxious to get into this hobby.

(For example, back when the market was better around 2007, I bought a running complete 914 with 1.8l, with a couple of very minor rust areas. Same wheels, ok paint, one small dent, interior usable, and a box of spare parts. I paid $3500 at the time, and i felt I got an ok deal.)

Option 2: I am not an expert here, but I don't think the motor is worth much without a working FI. I will be converting the car mentioned above to Subaru, and will be removing a running 1.8l with FI, and I would be quite happy to get $200 for the motor. smile.gif

-- brett
TheCabinetmaker
Is that your dads car? I just bought a 74/2L in a little better shape for $500. The fuchs probably make it worth 800.00
A&PGirl
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 22 2011, 06:06 AM) *

Is that your dads car? I just bought a 74/2L in a little better shape for $500. The fuchs probably make it worth 800.00

Yes and he's fine with selling it.

Geez, where did you find that one?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.