Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing rear floor pan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MrHyde
Has anyone here replaced the rear floor pan without the use of a rotisserie?? I dont have room in my garage for a rotisserie and I've been scratching my head a bit on how to keep the car up with enough room for me to crawl under it and weld... The car is completely stripped and sitting on a dolly right now. This dolly is about the same size as the whole floor pan however and I cant get at the rear pan to replace/repair it..

Has anyone here done this ?? and if so, do you have any pics of how you did it ?

Thanks a bunch,
McMark
Done it. Hated it. Don't wanna do it again.

I used big jack stands and just held it up.
MrHyde
I'm not looking forward to that either.. Laying on my back trying to weld. blink.gif
I'm leaning towards just getting some bigger jack stands to keep it up. I can get 6 ton Jack stands with a max height of 23". The dolly is currently 20" high, so that might do the trick. 2 on the front part of the floor pan/rockers and 2 on the rear outer suspension mount.. Sound about right ?
gendent
I am about to do the same thing, however i have someone here who is going to do it for me. If I can get it done in the next two weeks I will get pictures and post here as he does not have a rotisserie and will be doing it with jack stands. This fella had a hot rod shop here and I have seen amazing work from him. If it is too late to help at least it may provide an example as to how to do it for later projects. My welding skills, well, I don't have any.
scotty b
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 20 2011, 03:55 PM) *

agree.gif done about 5 that way. I made sure to build a rotisserie before doing any more. BUT for a one timer, a rotissere really isn't sensible IMO
bandjoey
Get 1/2 doz. camping pads. Cover with HF. Welding blanket. Get 3 friends. Roll car on it's side up against the wall or brace. Walahh! welder.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 20 2011, 07:55 PM) *

agree.gif

btdt, wont do it again.
The worst part is all the burn marks on your body...
Welding upside down just plain sucks.

Rich
rjames
If you don't have to replace the whole thing from one side to the other, you could go this route:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 21 2011, 10:32 AM) *
Get 1/2 doz. camping pads. Cover with HF. Welding blanket. Get 3 friends. Roll car on it's side up against the wall or brace. Walahh! welder.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.