Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- Calif Registration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ok… a little off topic.
California DMV sent me a ‘late’ notice.. some how I over looked my registration for my Audi S/4 in last month.- stupid me! . The original registration cost in February was $207..Yesterdays mail shows $507.00 for being late.. FYI…… I know California from a financial point of view is underwater – but it appears that they have bent me over to recover what they have over spent on their projects!
WTF.gif
Mike Bellis
agree.gif We forgot to pay my wife's. It went from $300 to $500... ouch!
tornik550
Oh my- I just paid my Ohio registration and it was somewhere around $40.
mepstein
PA is $36, DE is ~ the same. Don't know how you CA guys do it???
dirk9141973
Good news Ohio is only $ 20 and they give you a extra few days after people bitched !!! The great thing about 914 is Historical Plates $ 45 and good to 2050!! The paper work won't last to 2050!! WTF.gif What about Calaforina more reason to move to a fly over state!!
914.SBC
QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ Mar 20 2011, 05:38 PM) *

Good news Ohio is only $ 20 and they give you a extra few days after people bitched !!! The great thing about 914 is Historical Plates $ 45 and good to 2050!! The paper work won't last to 2050!! WTF.gif What about Calaforina more reason to move to a fly over state!!

California DMV is the worst. I live in Cali but I also own a home in Bullhead City, AZ. I register all my cars in AZ. They have no smog requirements and you can reg your car for two years as opposed to one year. There is never a line at their DMV and most eveyrting is done online. I have a license from that state as well at it is valid for 20 YEARS.
dirk9141973
agree.gif
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Mar 20 2011, 04:46 PM) *

QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ Mar 20 2011, 05:38 PM) *

California DMV is the worst. I live in Cali but I also own a home in Bullhead City, AZ. I register all my cars in AZ. They have no smog requirements and you can reg your car for two years as opposed to one year. There is never a line at their DMV and most eveyrting is done online. I have a license from that state as well at it is valid for 20 YEARS.

agree.gif Thats what I would do !!! this can't be the only outragous TAX !!!
914-300Hemi
My Registration or my 74 914 is due in April and it is $70.00
montoya 73 2.0
(dirk9141973 @ Mar 20 2011, 05:38 PM)

I register all my cars in AZ

California will make you register your car in Ca when they catch you. They did that to my in-laws back in 2003. When my wife and I still lived in Ca. and they were down from Oregon for awhile, a CHP pulled them over and told them they noticed their plates for a few months and they would have to register the car in this state or they will have it towed the next time they saw them. confused24.gif Towing and storage fees are not cheap in Calif. chair.gif
ConeDodger
They also moved up the due date and they pretend they don't know what to do with mailed in payments. I just had to go down there and wait to show them that I had indeed mailed the payment in on time. No way it took 3 weeks to get to them... They had to trim off the late fee which in the case of the 914 was $60.
pcar916
I moved away from the Bay area in 1995 for a job in AR. In 2000 I paid $7 for an antique plate, one time, for the life of the car. I miss California for some things. but mostly not. Especially since I discovered that Arkansas has some of the most incredible driving roads in the US and less than 2.5M people in the whole state.

Now that's a lot of hilly country roads my driving friends. California can ....
Cairo94507
In CA all of my life and I hate the DMV. For the most part those people could not get a job anywhere else. But because they are such asshats, the day I get my registration notice in the mail I pay it on-line and it is done. Highway robbery normally, I can't imagine how I would feel if they added the stupid penalties to the fee.
DanT
registration fees for this are $641 this year....(just the truck sad.gif )
and I also get to pay for a smog check....$65
Yes a smog check on a 2 year old diesel 3/4ton pickup truck.
They check for excessive black smoke on acceleration, all proper smog gear is present, and fuel cap seals properly....what a deal.
They don't even put them on the machine or put them on the dyno drums...
dirk9141973
When do the lights get turned off in the state !! How do you afford this ?
silver74insocal
QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ Mar 20 2011, 07:27 PM) *

we all make tons of money...lick sick boy band money biggrin.gif
Black22
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 20 2011, 07:04 PM) *

...the day I get my registration notice in the mail I pay it on-line and it is done.

agree.gif Me too. That way its's never late, I have a confirmation number and I won't forget. I usually get the new tags in a week or two. Better than waiting in line!
DanT
I usually go to AAA and use their limited DMV services...
one or two people in line...no BS most of the time...
They get my check, I watch them enter it into the computer, and I walk out with my new tags...
SirAndy
confused24.gif

I just paid registration for the 914 and it was $70 bucks ... And its in the same range for the Jetta ...

It's been around that for years for me ... idea.gif
SirAndy
I just dug up the renewal notice ...

- Registration fee = $57
- License fee = $6
- District fee = $10

Total = $73

If 10 days late = $94
If a month late = $104
If two month late = $137
If more than two month late = $137

Doesn't sound bad enough to me to consider moving into the boonies across country ... confused24.gif
raw1298
I do it all online. I hate waiting in line and dealing with people who could not hold a job with me. Can't blame them, they probably have nothing there to encourage them to be better.
Andyrew
My non op went from 18 to 188.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 20 2011, 07:51 PM) *

blink.gif WTF.gif
windforfun

Looks like a typo to me.

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
windforfun
For 2010:

1973 Porsche 914: $190
1999 Chevy Suburban: $131

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
Michael N
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2011, 06:49 PM) *

Doesn't sound bad enough to me to consider moving into the boonies across country ... confused24.gif

agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 20 2011, 08:29 PM) *

Looks like a typo to me.

My guess would be that each county or city has different fees ...

Again, from my recent (2011) renewal notice for the 914:

Planned Non-Op fee = $29

popcorn[1].gif
Smitty911
Oh, it's much worse than that. I just Non-Op'd my 914. The registration fee is supposed to be used as an additional road tax. Well if you non-Op it your not using the roads so why should I be charged?

Getting sicker and sicker of California.

Now to start working on the wife so we can leave this Hell Hole.

OT - With the amount of money we owe to China, could we give it to them?

Smitty
Mike Bellis
Here are my current DMV fees...

2008 Toyota Camry $508 ($200 late fee)
1997 Dodge 2500 $407 ($208 is over weight fee)
1973 Porsche 914 $138 (personalized plates include $50)
Trailer, car hauler $30

All of these are due by end of May... WTF.gif This is impacting my 914 build schedule...
Andyrew
This takes explanation.

If you remember that my house was burglarized, I canceled my check books while one of the checks was to pay for a non op on one of my vehicles ($18).

It had been 2 weeks since I sent the check so I thought that DMV had been able to cash the check. It was 5 months and I hadnt heard from the DMV and I received a letter from the dmv stating that if I didnt pay the dmv in 3 days in person then it would increase to $188. The letter was litterally dated 4 days prior to the required date. I received a letter the day after the previous letter (Both letters, the facts on my car were completely screwed up and the only thing correct was my VIN #, It looked as if a 13 year old typed them up while jacking off) Needless to say there was no way I could get to the DMV.

So I went to the DMV as soon as I could and I was pretty F'in mad. I spoke with 3 people and they said there was "nothing I could do about it". that i should have checked my bank statement to see if the check went through (Really? Or should they have notified me in ample time?).

Needless to say I payed (In cash, because they dont trust me..), She showed me the transaction progress that proved I paid for it for my car, I asked if I could have a copy and she said no (and thats the end of it). Fast forward 2 months, I get a letter stating I still havent paid. I call "Oh ignore that it just hasnt gone through". So I ignore it.
Fast forward another 2 months, I get another letter. This time I go down to the DMV and talk to them (angry) and they said that its all paid and they dont know why I got the letter. They showed me a document proving I paid and I asked if I could have a copy of it, they said no, but I could pay for a copy (It was under $10, I was pissed, but I paid it). Why the first lady didnt tell me that I could buy a copy I dont know, but im pretty sure its because she was a bitch.

**Sigh.

Its been 5 months and I havent heard from them.
Elliot Cannon
At the risk of repeating myself, (I guess I will anyway), this is just another reason for you all to stay the fuck out of California. If you dislike it here that much than get the fuck out!! This place IS a hell hole. Get out and stay out. Nobody wants to live here and nobody wants you here if you don't like it here. It just plain sucks here. It's a race to see which will increase more. The cost of living or the crime rate. We have a gang problem, drive-by shootings, earthquakes, brush fires, mud slides and floods. Who in their right mind would want to put up with all that? happy11.gif
Cheers, Elliot (Barely living in hell on earth)
montoya 73 2.0
You forgot illegal aliens, water shortages and Smog. w00t.gif screwy.gif biggrin.gif
euro911
Oh boy - have I got some input on this one.

I normally don't ride any of our motorcycles in the winter months, so we typically didn't have to pay for the insurance policies all year long. A few years ago, that all changed (for the worse of course).

Not only did the California DMV increase our registration fees (more than double), they require that one maintain an insurance policy all year long. The insurance companies' computer systems are directly tied into the DMV now, so if/when the policy lapses, the DMV will fine you to reinstate your registration (after providing proof of insurance) ... so I recently started putting some of our vehicles in Non-Op status.

I forgot to pay a $68. registration fee for a '67 912 back in December 2010. On Jan 20th., of this year I received a notice that the DMV wanted $130. to register it (registration and late payment penalty). I said FUCH 'em, but still had to pay $49. just to Non-Op it! (Normally it's $18. to Non-Op) ... Then I canceled the insurance policy to recoup some of my loss ($151. for 6 months) mad.gif

I'm planning on registering our '75 914 this week so I can take it on the RT66 Run. This vehicle has been on Non-Op for 2 years. The regular registration renewal date is in late July - 4 months from now. Being on Non-Op, I won't have to pay any 'late payment' penalty fees, but will have to pay the full year fees of $69. for the remainder of the 2010 'fiscal' year (for 4 months worth of registration).
WTF.gif

Come the end of July, I'll pay $69. (or whatever they raise it up to) for the next year (plus $300. for a years worth of liability insurance).

Figure 4 old P cars, 3 motorcycles, and 2 trucks (most all of them with with full coverage insurance policies) adds up to a pretty astounding amount of money!

Who's getting the kick-backs for all the $ the insurance companies are making with this fuching law in place?

sheeplove.gif

EDIT: I forgot to add, that all the employees at the DMV are employees the Post Office let go ... and vice versa ... slap.gif
smj
I happen to have just received the late notice from the DMV for my 968... Yes, I should've paid it right away, but it always bothers me because the first (and only) notice comes 3-4 months before the expiration. Wonder if they've worked up projections on anticipated late fees based on that...

Registration fee ........... $57
License fee ................ $80
County fees ................ $10
Penalty fee ............... $108
Total ..................... $255

So for Alameda county at least, it isn't the local extras. Oh, and don't forget that you may be able to deduct the "license fee" - my tax person is always on me to include my DMV paperwork.
patssle
So why DO people live in California? Are all the headaches and expenses worth the weather and scenery?
SirAndy
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 21 2011, 12:09 PM) *
So why DO people live in California? Are all the headaches and expenses worth the weather and scenery?

Expenses are relative as are headaches ...

Yes, weather and scenery are a big part of why i like it here ...

If i moved to the mid-west, i would get paid a lot less for the same job, so the expenses argument doesn't really work out that way.

I happen to like the fact that i can swim in the ocean, ski in the mountains, sail on the bay, walk amongst giant redwoods or hike in Yosemite all within a two hour drive from where i live.

Plus, there's 3 major race-tracks close-by and the east-bay nightlife ain't bad either ...
cheer.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(patssle @ Mar 21 2011, 12:09 PM) *

Yup

smile.gif
RFoulds
Its not ideal here in SoCal. But no place is. In 30 years, I have lived in:
Vancouver Island, (gorgeous but expensive and wet)
Palm Springs, (cheap, dry, warm)
Vancouver, (very expensive housing but great people)
Fort Myers, FL (low pay like everywhere in FL, but cheap housing and great beaches)
Seattle, (bad commutes, expensive housing, great scenery)
Tucson, (awful in every way)
Monterey (gorgeous and great people, ludicrous housing costs)
New Orleans (decadent, dirty, smelly, FUN)
Tampa, (bad commutes low pay FL, great beaches again)
Now La Quinta CA. (great weather, cheap housing)

They all have pluses and minuses. Biggest thing for me in Ca, is great, great weather. Its a chilly 70 degrees here today. Lowest temp we have had in 3 weeks. I NEVER want to see snow EVER again.

jimtab
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 20 2011, 09:36 PM) *

You forgot illegal aliens, water shortages and Smog. w00t.gif screwy.gif biggrin.gif

And what about skin cancers from all the sun......RUN! rolleyes.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ Mar 20 2011, 06:27 PM) *

....Cause were all musicians & actors....LOL poke.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Mar 21 2011, 03:11 PM) *

Now....let's not forget the dopedealers......they have feelings too!
biosurfer1
I just got the registration for my 914 today actually....not bad, $68.

After I sold my old 914 in 2004, I still got letters for 3 YEARS stating I was over due/late/ blah blah blah and this is after filling out the release on the pink slip, then mailing one in and finally filling out NOT 1 but 2 in person, at the DMV before they finally figured it out. Buyer was out of state so he never registered it here.
windforfun
If you think the DMV is a zoo, try filing for a divorce in Santa Clara county.
dw914er
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 20 2011, 09:54 PM) *

EDIT: I forgot to add, that all the employees at the DMV are employees the Post Office let go ... and vice versa ... slap.gif

Newman worked for the Post Office

IPB Image

explains alot biggrin.gif
smj
QUOTE(jimtab @ Mar 21 2011, 12:30 PM) *

And what about skin cancers from all the sun......RUN! rolleyes.gif

Yeah, all that sun in Pacifica -- riiiiight... Next you'll be telling everybody how warm it is in San Francisco in July and August. poke.gif

Heading back to the thread topic, I found the renewal letter for my 914-6. Base fee is $111:

Reg fee .......... $57
License ............ 6
Special plate ..... 38
County fees ....... 10
Total ........... $111

Now here's the late payment schedule:

Between 3/12 and 3/22 ..... $132
Between 3/22 and 4/11 ...... 142
Between 4/11 and 6/10 ...... 175

So, interesting to see the escalation. And I'm unclear if they're sending reminders at each stair-step or not.
Drums66
QUOTE(jimtab @ Mar 21 2011, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Mar 21 2011, 03:11 PM) *

Now....let's not forget the dopedealers......they have feelings too!

....Forgot that majority rules laugh.gif poke.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.