Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail dragger with 914 envy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LaughaC
Hi all!

I've always been a 914 fan but have had several other Porsches so far.
Of all the cars I've owned, the P-car people are the best and this is why I'll always own one.

This weekend I began an engine swap project and HotShoe914 came over from Memphis to help. He called on several 914world people for help whenever we got stuck and, Amazingly, one of them, IamChappy, is the same guy who sold me my BAE turbo kit years ago!

Truly honored to know the Porsche hobbyists, and always humbled by their kindness and the vast pool of "wiki-like" knowlege that continues to amass for these very special cars.

Anyway, on to my topic:

4 of the six 13mm exhaust header nuts have come off using a 1/2" distributor wrench and a rubber mallet.

Any advice for reaching this one? The exhaust is blocking my hammer swing and somebody here has done this smarter than I have.Click to view attachment
cary
I use a woobly socket. If that don't work. Heat it with MAPP gas till the nut gets cherry red. Then try and give it a 1/8 turn tighter. Then back it off.
Not my car. But I wouldn't hitting exhaust studs with a hammer and wrench. If buugger up the threads or break one off it gets real $$$$$$$$$$$$$ expensive.

Oh yeah. Did you soak it over night with PB Blaster?
When you put them back on. Use Copper based anti-seize. On both my 911 and 914 I use exhaust nuts. PP has them. Makes it much easier to take them off next time.
hot_shoe914
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Evil914
QUOTE(cary @ Mar 21 2011, 03:59 AM) *

I use a woobly socket. If that don't work. Heat it with MAPP gas till the nut gets cherry red. Then try and give it a 1/8 turn tighter. Then back it off.
Not my car. But I wouldn't hitting exhaust studs with a hammer and wrench. If buugger up the threads or break one off it gets real $$$$$$$$$$$$$ expensive.

Oh yeah. Did you soak it over night with PB Blaster?
When you put them back on. Use Copper based anti-seize. On both my 911 and 914 I use exhaust nuts. PP has them. Makes it much easier to take them off next time.

I agree, heat will do the job most of the time.You can buy micro-torches now that are refillable that are great for taking with you to the salvage yard.I got one last year and it's saved my behind more times than I can count.Also using a six- point wrench or socket on crusty hardware saves a lot of busted knuckles and rounded off nuts,bolts.
jmill
Remember that PB Blaster, Aero Kroil, etc. catches fire. BTDT. The wife said my eyebrows were getting too long anyhow.
markb
welcome.png

Lots of pics, please. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.