Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Tiptronic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
Its been a while, still driving my V8 car. Just wondering about a Tiptronic ? I see thy are controlled by a computer but they are just solenoids and couldn't one just manually work the shifting ? I'm asking the questions because it would be so so so nice to just push a switch LOL.
I don't even know how long the transmission is and would expect it to be a bit longer than my 930.
Again would hold the torque of my 350? I guess it would the way I drive most of the time LOL. I love my car but a switch would be nicer.
OK what are your thoughts ?
rick 918-S
Maybe a Boxster chick-tronic would work with a custom starter bolted to the V8. Computer controlled but isn't it a combination of engine rpm which could be done with a speed sensor maybe but for downshifts when the engine lugs may be a combination of speed sensor and engine RPM's of tach signal... idea.gif

Interesting puzzle. but I would much rather shift my sports car or drive my BMW touring with auto.
dw914er
I know that my rsx controls the transmission and triptronic through the ecu. Modification is pretty tough because of that, but idk how other companies do it. If it's anything similar I wouldn't bother with it.
Mike Bellis
If it is only solenoids... If you reverse engineer the sequence of operation, you could build a simple Eprom controller and use a paddle shifter up and down. No automatic function only manual shift. If you want fully automatic, it would take more sophistication and a speed sensor.

I would be willing to bet that someone in the world already makes a plug and play unit. Audi, VW, Porsche or Subaru compatable Tranny ECU.
Andyrew
Audi/VW tiptronic FWD trani from the A4/A6/Passat would be a complete bolt in situation. I believe the tiptronic controls are separate from the ECU.

Should hold the tq of your v8 if its ~ 350, but it would be better suited if you dropped in the 2.8L v6 as well. (And everything would be built to run perfectly together, aka gearing, ecu, better mpg, ect)

Personally I think that it would be a killer setup in the 914 and I would have already had it underway if I didnt have budget issues.

Cairo94507
Just the other day I was thinking about the possibility of putting a tiptronic in a 914 with a six. Not going to do it to my six, but as I get older I just ponder the thought of an automatic in a 914.
drive-ability

I'm sure I could get it to work, HST there would be a lot of R&D (code for Plain B,C,D,E LOL). I don't mind the shifting but with this much power and torque my thoughts it would be easier to manage when driving hard. You let up on the throttle with this SBC in a hard turn its just like hitting the brakes.
I drove to my friends house (Ca. to WA. state) and maybe used the brakes a dozen times on the freeway. The engine braking is huge in this car. You almost forget you have any other petals really!

I think its time for me to do a 50k overhaul. Disassemble the car 100% and take a look at how things are working. Some fool (ME) in his garage built this car, no engineering degrees, expensive tools etc. I do a fair amount of auto repair in my garage and it would be nice to have an extra 20 X 20 foot of space that's covered so I could take my time. OH well, dream on .........
Rand
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Mar 22 2011, 06:18 PM) *

I think its time for me to do a 50k overhaul. Disassemble the car 100% and take a look at how things are working.

Wait. I'd rather see you innovate. As you have proven you do well. If that engine needs dis-assembly at 50k I would be worried.

Better things to focus on, IMO.

bfrymire
Hum

Couldn't you use this with modifications?

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L60e.html

This one is designed for an electronic transmission such as the Ford. Wonder if it would work with tiptronic?

-- brett
IronHillRestorations
My guess is the physical logistics (fitting it in the car and to the engine) would be easier than getting all the electronics sorted.

The tiptronic transmissions are very complex and have their own brain, which is also tied to the Porsche DME.
mikea100
How about 3.6 and tiptronic from 993. That would be an awesome setup.
Saw these on PP.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...3-6-engine.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ansmission.html
McMark
I've got a tiptronic that blew itself up under my workbench waiting for me to have some free time (HA!) to take it apart and see what's inside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.