Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Done
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fastmover34
Done
914Sixer
Hard to say.
larss
If my memory serves the Euro cars did not have a plate vith the VIN no riveted to the A-pillar windshield. The front fenders without side markers however talks for a non US car and the speedo was used in GB and some other countries outside US.

/Lars.
type47
How about a VW symbol in the steering wheel horn pad rather than a Porsche symbol? But then again, horn pads could be changed. Rear badging but yours doesn't have VW-Porsche badge (also can be deleted/changed). Euro car would not have a Porsche hood badge.
VaccaRabite
My guess would be no.
You car has been repainted, so that guy that did the work probably changed it to look more like what he wanted. Removing the side indicator is fairly common, as are the euro front turn signals. Rear lenses are not as common, but not hard to find either.

I can't say for sure, but if I had to place a bet, my money would be that it was a US car that a past PO had redone to look Euro.
welcome.png !

Zach
nathansnathan
From what I've read, uero 914's all had black interiors, and it looks like your seat pad is brown.

About what type47 said, did any 914's have a hood badge from the factory?
mikea100
Euro 914s had a rear fog light between tail light and lock.
plymouth37
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Mar 22 2011, 08:04 AM) *

From what I've read, uero 914's all had black interiors, and it looks like your seat pad is brown.

About what type47 said, did any 914's have a hood badge from the factory?

Just the 8 cylinder cars IIRC.
dlee6204
My guess is no. Just a few things off the top of my head...

-Your front turn signal buckets should be different to match the Euro lenses
-Horn pad should have the Wolfsburg Symbol instead of the Porsche crest.
-Euro cars did not have the P-O-R-S-C-H-E engine lid lettering
-The "914" badge should be the 914-VW-Porsche badge
-As larss said I believe the VIN # location was different.

Show us some more pictures anyway. We like pictures. biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Look in the engine compartment , above the relay panel, for any stickers relating to emissions specifications. Or even signs a sticker was there. There may also be a fuel rating sticker in the area of the fuel filler. Besides what was mentioned above, the tail light assemblies are different for US cars.

The Cap'n
larss
The charcoal thing for the fuel vapors in the front is another thing to look for, Europe cars did not have it as far as I know.

/Lars
McMark
agree.gif Plus it was repainted, which is the perfect opportunity to fill side marker holes and put on fancy new EURO lenses, which are usually cheaper than the US versions.
SirAndy
QUOTE(fastmover34 @ Mar 22 2011, 12:09 AM) *
Do I have a Euro 914?

I doubt it ...

- Your front turn signal buckets do not appear to be euro buckets, just euro lenses.

- You have the PORSCHE lettering on the engine lid.

- You have a US rear badge.

Check the tail lights. Remove the lenses and see if you have the small bulb on the far outside. If so, those are US spec rear sidemarker lights. Euro cars did not have those.

welcome.png beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(larss @ Mar 22 2011, 04:55 AM) *
If my memory serves the Euro cars did not have a plate vith the VIN no riveted to the A-pillar windshield.

That is correct. However, a properly imported euro car would have had a VIN tag added at the time of the import.
shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Mar 22 2011, 07:37 AM) *
Euro 914s had a rear fog light between tail light and lock.

The rear fog light was optional equipment and as far as i know it was available for all countries ...

shades.gif
Tom_T
welcome.png

If the VIN sticker is still on the L rear door jamb, then use some acetone & a Q-tip to slowly let the acetone work to loosen the paint & remove oit from the sticker. If you're very careful, then it will come off without removing the black ink on the sticker itself. Euro & RoW 914's did not have the VIN sticker, since that was a USA-DOT requirement & specific USA info on it - but it could've been removed.

Looking at the pix, I'd say the rear fenders were "rolled" - not flared - where they take a baseball bat or similar to ease out the sheet metal to clear bigger/wider tires, without doing the full flare bit. All 914 bodies were the same - except for the very few 914-6 GTs & M471/470 options flared at the factory, & the factory did sell flare kits for dealers to do, aftermarket, repro, etc. buy POs.

Euro rear lenses are a common change, especially now that the all red/white USA lenses are NLA, although AA has some nice repros & NOS ones turn up now & then. You can pull off one lense & check if there is an extra bulb/socket & reflector/separator at the outer edge of the light where the lens turns parallel to the sides of the body - which fulfilled the USA DOT's rear side marker requirement in one unit. However, the full buckets & lenses assy. could've been changed out by a PO.

Remove one of the front Euro TS lenses & the Euro buckets will have an insert with 2 bulbs - one for the amber TS area & one for the white running light area - but these too could've been changed by the PO.

The deleted F side markers could just be a very good job, so you won't see it until you take it down to bare metal, and even then it may be hard to see if a great body guy did it.

I can see the PORSCHE letters from the underside of the engine lid grill - so that's a USA (& Canada IIRC) only item.

All rear bumpers are the same USA/Canada vs. Euro/RoW for any model year - the only difference being that the early 70 - 71.25+/- MY had a sharper inset at the top corners, which they changed to rounded for all the later ones to 76 MY end. They are all wide enough for Euro type plates.

The VIN is also on the L A-pillar behind the windshield (sometimes hidden by a poor installation by the butyl strip), on the R headlight bucket on a squarish plate, & stamped on the top of the LF wheelwell inside the F trunk. You have the VIN, so you've found 1 or more of them. You can get a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from Porsche No. Amer. (PCNA) - go to the Porsche website (USA part), under the "Classics" section & there's the 800 tel. no. there. You may be able to call & say that you will be ordering one a bit later, but just wanted to verify if it was a US or Euro/RoW car & the person on the phone may look that up for you if you pray.gif

Otherwise, the engine code will start with a different letter code for non-USA 1.7's, which IIRC is on the L side next to the head-to-case top area. You can look at p914.com for mor of this type of model & market info, as well as at Jeff Bowlsby's website - which has a pic of where to look for the engine code under the Plates, Labels & Markings" section.
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

To correct &/or add to a few comments above -

AFAIK - you could get a 914 in ANY of the 914 colors in any market or area, it's just that they made far more in black, so it's the most common out there everywhere.

I'm not sure that non-USA 914's lacked the charcoal canister on the fuel tank when sold new, but were often removed over time. Maybe Sir Andy, Johannes, or Jeff Bowlsby, etc. can speak a bit more on that detail.

AFAIK - the only VIN location(s) not on non-US 914s were the door sticker & maybe not the one at the windshield/A-pillar - otherwise they all got the LF headlight bucket & LF wheelwell numbers.

Rear Fog Light was an option everywhere, & not often used (except maybe a requirement in Sweden or Norway only) - and of course on "Polezie 914s"!!!! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

I guess I didn't type fast enough to keep up with Sir Andy! laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
That's all Tom? Uncharacteristicly light on the content today. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 22 2011, 10:09 AM) *
"Polezie 914s"

Polezie ??? Is that some sort of polish dish? biggrin.gif

P O L I Z E I

ConeDodger
Someone has said that the Wolfsburg emblem steering wheel center was also used on the Canadian cars...

My car has a Wolfsburg steering wheel center, all the Euro markers, It will have the Euro emblem in the rear and it STILL will not be a Euro model... biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 22 2011, 02:35 PM) *
... the Wolfsberg emblem ... a Wolfsberg steering wheel center ...

Wolfsburg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfsburg

The whole town was actually build from scratch around the KdF car plant ...
shades.gif
Drums66
.....Echo: real hard to say confused24.gif flag.gif biggrin.gif
bye1.gif smoke.gif shades.gif
fastmover34
Done
hot_shoe914
This simply means the car once had a/c and now it is removed. The condensor was located there. My car has the same patch, only a little nicer repair.
Gint
agree.gif welcome.png
VaccaRabite
Yep, an AC car. Check the passenger side engine shelf. I'll bet its cut. Dealers did it when they installed the AC pump.

Zach
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 22 2011, 02:36 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 22 2011, 02:35 PM) *
... the Wolfsberg emblem ... a Wolfsberg steering wheel center ...

Wolfsburg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfsburg

The whole town was actually build from scratch around the KdF car plant ...
shades.gif

I corrected it. Very cool information...
McMark
Yup A/C. The two holes are for A/C hoses as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.