Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Hangar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobp
I have a 75 914/1.8. My car currently has the original 75 style heat exchangers and somebody's idea of a dual exhaust, 2 cherry bomb mufflers crossed under the back of the car.

I have picked up a set of stainless early style heat exchangers and a very good used Bursch muffler setup. I would like to backdate my exhaust with these parts, but I need the correct hangar bracket. I was originally going to have my father make one, he was a tool and die maker, he has since gone on permanent disability. Does anybody have one, they would be willing to sell?
Brad Roberts
Bob,

You will be very happy with you back dated exhaust. Tell us where you are located and I bet somebody remotely close to you has one...if not I know several members here have them used.

B
bobp
I am in beautiful, frigid, Buffalo, NY
Bleyseng
You will also need to locate the rest of the heating ducting from an early car. There are quiet a few parts involved to make it work as I did it on my car. I just sold all the heating parts off my 70 parts car to a guy backdating his car..
You will really like the difference, alittle bit more power and a lot more heat!
Geoff
Brad Roberts
HUmm. That may be tough. I wonder if Milo has one for him. Or did Milo move to New Mexico ?? He lived in the Bronx.

You must be one of only a handful that even owns a 914 in Buffalo. COOL.

B
bobp
How much of the heating system is different? Besides the heat exchangers, I thought there was just the valves and the flex hoses between the exchangers and the body.

I have seen a few other 914s, driving around, locally, a couple orange ones and a green one. Most of them, in this area, probably turned to rust long ago.

We met an older couple with a red one, in immaculate condition, at an SCCA vintage rally a couple years ago. Mine is in pretty good shape but needs exterior detailing and interior work. The woman the PO bought it from was the original owner and imported it from CA.

Mine is blue, probably not a Porsche color, it was originally an ugly green color, you can see the original color in the engine compartment. I am planning to mildly restore it, hopefully next winter, strip down, fix whatever rust I can find, repaint (blue again but maybe a Porsche blue), and redo the interior, probably custom as OEM interior stuff is just too expensive.

I would also like more power, but that seems to get pretty expensive.

I want to make a nice summer daily driver, not a concours car and not a race car.

This winter is just going to be some more minor repairs, to improve dirveability, like the last two years. The biggest project, this year, is fixing first gear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.