Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Output shafts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

Tightening and torquing the output shafts on a 901.

I guess I'm a bit worried about over torquing the bolts that hold on the output shaft.

After stripping one of the flange holes I'm worried that I could be doing something wrong and stripping this bolt would mean tearing the transmission down.

Once bit I guess.

For some reason they just keep on tightening and won't move (using the old type torque wrench with a movable lb indicator) up to 60lbs.

So is there any way that something could be wrong with such a simple installation.

I understand the torque setting to be 60ft lbs

Thanks.
J P Stein
Are you speaking of the *stretch bolts* in the center of the output flanges? If so, you'd better stop twisting and find out what the torque is supposed to be. I can't recall & I've sold all my technical manuals to MikeK.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 22 2011, 04:36 PM) *

Are you speaking of the *stretch bolts* in the center of the output flanges? If so, you'd better stop twisting and find out what the torque is supposed to be. I can't recall & I've sold all my technical manuals to MikeK.

Woo, did I get some bad information.

The Hayes manual says 25-29 lb f ft

Umm....maybe I should change those bolts that I stretched to 50 lb f ft?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 23 2011, 12:37 PM) *

w00t.gif
Signs point to YES
J P Stein
Them bolts probably wouldn't give you any trouble......untill the worst possible time you can imagine. blink.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 23 2011, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 23 2011, 12:37 PM) *

w00t.gif
Signs point to YES

Who sells them?
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 23 2011, 10:12 AM) *

Them bolts probably wouldn't give you any trouble......untill the worst possible time you can imagine. blink.gif

Like around a high speed corner in a hill climb - you lose power to one side and take a real ride....

Now I'm going to change them for sure!

J P Stein
Brit has a bunch of them from my old trans spares stash, IIRC.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 23 2011, 10:51 AM) *

Brit has a bunch of them from my old trans spares stash, IIRC.

Thanks JP, I got a set from Britain.

Randal
Just a heads up.

If you are going to bigger 944 turbo CV's then you need longer bolts, like 55mm.

As Tom Amon said, make sure the bolts come out at least 5-8mm on the inside. That way you are sure that you are engaging all the thread in the flanges, otherwise you will be very disappointed. icon8.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.