Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery Brumos 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racerbvd
Anyone know the history or where the #5 914 is now?? I know Brumos has clones of all their Teeners, but where is this one??
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
URY914
The artist forgot the "9". dry.gif
DEC
popcorn[1].gif
carr914
I don't think that Brumos had one of the narrow bodied SCCA cars, only the Widebody fulltop IMSA cars
sixnotfour
I thought Ginther was involved with the porsche audi sponsored effort ?
Isnt GT 705 their first ?
carr914
Correct, Ginther was Porsche's guy in the West and I think Holbert in the East for the SCCA effort. All of this was put together by Jo Hoppen
racerbvd
I find it hard to believe that Pete Gregg would let a poster out of his dealership with any mistakes (like a missing "9") and since the theme is Bumos Porsche Race DRIVEN by Peter Gregg... I'll see if Simon remembers it..
sixnotfour
1970 VIR scca national, this Gregg's entry
Bartlett 914
Nice picture!
sixnotfour
found it.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Road...ml?sort=Results
smg914
If your in the mood for a little reading. Here is a little history on the C-Production 914-6. A Brumos CP 914-6 (as shown in the poster) driven by Peter Gregg and Pete Harrison represented the East factory team for the 1970 SCCA Nationals.

In 1970, Joe Hoppen, VW’s U.S. motorsports manager was given the task of developing a racing reputation for the 914. His strategy was to run the higher-priced 914-6 as dealer/factory-sponsored cars, while encouraging privateers to campaign the less-expensive 914-4.

Datsun and Triumph lobbied hard to keep the 914 out of their classes, but Hoppen had an effective bargaining chip to play: If the SCCA would let the 914-6 run in C Production, and the 914-4 run in E Production, Hoppen would concentrate his efforts there instead of spending another year dominating the under-two-liter Trans-Am category with his much-hated 911s. The SCCA agreed.

Hoppen’s plans for the 914-6 called for three factory teams. Each factory-sponsored team would get $50,000 and cars to run for the season. In the East, he selected Peter Gregg of Brumos, while the Midwest effort would be headed by Art Bunker, Bob Hindson and Kendall Noah.

In the West, Hoppen gave the nod to VW-Pacific under Richie Ginther. However, VW-Pacific demanded triple the original cash figure, since they were to do all the development. The negotiations caused such a delay that Ginther went his own way rather than waiting for a decision.

Results for the season were mixed. In the Midwest, Bunker posted six SCCA national wins, co-driver Noah got three more wins, and the CP 914-6 Midwest team was on their way to the season-ending Runoffs. In the East, things weren’t going as well. Gregg and co-driver Pete Harrison took a number of seconds and thirds, but only two more wins for the 914-6.

Running for Ginther in the West, Alan Johnson took four firsts in the VW-Pacific prototype, then scored three more wins after Ginther’s team went out on its own. Ginther also took his new guy, Elliott Forbes-Robinson, along for the ride to Road Atlanta.

However, the Porsche teams might just as well have skipped the Runoffs. The Datsun 240Zs dominated the SCCA’s year-end showdown at Road Atlanta.

Hello 914-6 GT
URY914
Steve, you gotta picture of the car?
smg914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but that looks like the #61 car. confused24.gif

shades.gif rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
jmill
Numbers Change. In SCCA when I picked my number I just had to check that no one in my class or region had the same number. As you change classes and regions you might have to change your number if someone else already has it. You can see the 1 was added to the 6 with speed tape.
MJHanna
So was the car ever run with the number five as shown in the poster?
carr914
I wonder if there was a #5 AND a #6, as there were 2 drivers
racerbvd
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 24 2011, 04:47 AM) *

Yes, there were 2 cars & 2 drivers, a friend who race with them called me this morning, Simon is checking his paperwork (has his Dads papers) and Buddy is also checking.
gms
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Mar 24 2011, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 24 2011, 04:47 AM) *

Yes, there were 2 cars & 2 drivers, a friend who race with them called me this morning, Simon is checking his paperwork (has his Dads papers) and Buddy is also checking.

Pete Harrison & Peter Gregg were the Southeast Porsche/Audi team racing the Ginther Roadsters in C-Production in the SCCA in 1970
gms
here is Peter Gregg
neilca
Pete raced a lot of different things. I used to be in the same racing class, Sports 2000, in the mid 90's. I wouldn't say I raced with him since he always spanked me bad.
gms
another shot with Ralph Meaney's car (from his website)
gms
here are the sad results of the SCCA championship
krazykonrad
Would the factory let them run with the no windshield/top configuration? I guess so because obviously they were factory sponsored. It just seems weird that the factory would allow them to be chopped like that.

Konrad
zambezi
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 24 2011, 04:46 PM) *

another shot with Ralph Meaney's car (from his website)

Looks like the number 6 car with a 1 added again. next to it looks like the number 5 car with a 1 added to it as well. Could be the number 5 car from the poster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.