Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what to run away from.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyepoppet
What are all the things I would want to inspect before buying a Porsche 914. The good and the bad and how hard is some of the rust to mend.
carr914
welcome.png

Rust is the killer, most specifically in the Hell-Hole (under the battery)

Get a fellow Member here to look at any car with you before purchase. Not very familar with MN, but I know we have some very knowledgable folks up there.

T.C.
mburkhart
I'm no shill for Pelican Parts, but I found their Buyer's Guide very useful when I first set out looking to buy a 914. You can find it here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/How_to_buy_a_914.htm
7TPorsh
I suggest you start examining any car from the bottom up. Check all low points where water can gather. Under the battery, in the longs under the doors, floor pan, rear part of rear trunk near the taillights, bottom corners of windshield and sail panels.
Half the time you won't get past the belt line of the car.
sean_v8_914
like jessee owens...
sean_v8_914
bondo in the area below thee battery
odd looking seams
sean_v8_914
damaged suspension pick up
sean_v8_914
poorly patched areas
sean_v8_914
scarry door gaps
sean_v8_914
a rusty trunk looks bad but it is not a strctural issue and is easy to fix
IronHillRestorations
Here's what you don't want to find! That's a big wad of kitty hair bondo!Click to view attachment
More on the same car
Click to view attachment

Don't buy a car unless you get it on a lift and can see the bottom, the firewall, the suspension consoles on both sides, and the jack points.

An easy on the street check is to check the door gap at the top of the passenger door, and open the door. Back the right rear wheel up on a curb and check the door gap, as well as open the passenger door. If you get changes in the gaps, walk away.
bembry
If you're still looking asnd haven't yet bought, I'd recommend two things:

1. Get a car from out west (CA, AZ, NV). Why start with a rusty piece of crap if you don't have to? Shipping isn't as bad as many think. They scrap cars out there that are better than many out East start with.

2. Get the best car you can afford. It costs a hell of a lot more to fix up a beater (even a rust free one) into something nice than buying nice to begin with--especially with the depressed car prices currently.
Spoke
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 23 2011, 04:40 AM) *

Get a fellow Member here to look at any car with you before purchase.

agree.gif
jmill
Never, ever buy a Midwest car unless it started life in the West. Ask me how I know. Got smart and imported my second one from AZ.

Lots of MN guys here. iamchappy and Rick 918-S just to name a few. Both have sweet cars and could most likely point you to someone close.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.