Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly Bent A Arm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
When doing preliminary adjustments to my '89 Carrera front suspension (upgrade), I noticed the top of the left strut was positioned slightly arears compared to the right (after setting caster). Close measuring revealed that the A arm is slightly bent: Looking at the left suspension from the side of the car, the end of the A arm where the ball joint attaches appears slightly bent. It is rotated 4 degrees clockwise, and pushed back 1/4". The bend seems to be where the arm necks down just inward of the ball joint mount.

So fix or repair? I have complete machine shop capability to make whatever fixtures or nests necessary accomodate a hydraulic press. The A arm(s) came off a car with 59K miles, so the bushings are in good shape and worth the time investment to save it. I think the *fix it* risk is low, but would like some opinions from perhaps someone that's BTDT. If *replace* is necessary, I need a late left side A arm with *good* bushings (and not bent :-))....Anyone?

Thanks,

Andys
VaccaRabite
Replace with one that is not bent.
JRust
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 23 2011, 03:22 PM) *

Replace with one that is not bent.

agree.gif
McMark
agree.gif

Anyone who's been into 914s long enough has a couple of arms kicking around the garage. Bruce Stone is down there and he's parted out more than a few cars.
Eric_Shea
Anyone who's been into 914s long enough has a couple of arms kicking around the garage.

my '89 Carrera front suspension

J P Stein
Replace it. I've seen a 911 A-arm break in that spot. Just getting it on a trailer was ugly.
r_towle
Sounds a bit complex to fix perfectly and you really want it right.
I would suggest you call Jim at EASY auto parts up near SFC and get him to ship you another one.

rich
jd74914
Make a new pair to go with your homemade rear arms Andy. hide.gif
andys
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Mar 23 2011, 06:28 PM) *

Replace it. I've seen a 911 A-arm break in that spot. Just getting it on a trailer was ugly.

I figure that's the logical place for one to break. I layed it out with straight edges, 1-2-3 blocks, and a precision digital angle finder: 1/4" arears and rotated 4*. I realize that in itself doesn't remove any potential risk, but it is only *slightly* bent. I've seen A arms cut and extended in exactly this spot on track cars with big tires, though in the back of my mind that always seemed a bit risky.

Andys
andys
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 23 2011, 08:08 PM) *

Make a new pair to go with your homemade rear arms Andy. hide.gif

Jim,

You remember those, huh? Good memory!

Andys
Cap'n Krusty
Go with a straight one. Straightening yours would put stress on top of stress, not a good thing, IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.